Salads

Options
Wadeeee
Wadeeee Posts: 70 Member
Quick question to all of those good meal planners out there...

A little bit of background info... I'm trying very hard to get back into MFP. I'n 2008, I used MFP as a great tool to help me lose 75 pounds. I kept it off for a good while, but over the last two years, I've gained back about 45 pounds. In comparing where I was to where I currently am, I've realized that I used to religiously plan my meals, and I've completely stopped doing so. I want to get back into it. I have a wife and four children, so planning meals just for me can be annoying, but is not impossible.

To kick-start this newfound motivation, I want to start planning salads for lunch. I'd like to try a different recipe each week. I actually love veggies, though I also love salad toppings...cheeses, croutons, tortilla strips, a variety of seeds, dried fruit, bacon, dressings, etc. I'm very aware that it's way too easy to over do it if I'm not careful, but I'm big on flavor and texture, so using a few of those sparingly is an absolute must for me.

First, does anyone have any favorite salad recipes you'd like to share, that are less than 500 calories? I'm looking for bold flavors, and am hoping for some recipes that will keep my interest.

And second, do you assemble all of yours in advance, or keep the veggies stored separately and assemble daily? I appreciate all of your thoughts and ideas!

Replies

• Wadeeee
    Options
    Thanks a ton for the tips! The website link was super helpful!
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options
    I eat quite a bit of salads as well. I do not normally do anything fancy. Im actually good with lettuce, chicken, onions and seasoning. I do not like a lot of dressing so I use FF ranch most of the time. If I want to add more flavor I add ACV or balsamic vinegar. Sliced cucumbers are also good with vinegar and honey or lemon juice and seasonings.
    I have recently started making coleslaw with greek yogurt, ACV, and a little stevia for for the dressing. Depending on my mood, I will add some green apple and chicken. It is quite tasty and filling.
  • 2POLARISS
    2POLARISS Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    Here's a yummy salad
    Arrugula
    Blue cheese crumbles
    Dried cranberries
    Slivered almonds
    Really good balsamic dressing
    So good !
  • dklibert
    dklibert Posts: 1,196 Member
    Options
    I second mason jar salads. You can use a empty fruit cup or applesauce cup to keep wet ingredients from dry ingredients. Check out this link: soupspiceeverythingnice.blogspot.com/p/masonables.html

Mason%2BJar%2BSalad.jpg

I am making chopped salads like this for next week: cabbage, lettuce, carrots, purple cabbage, celery, green onion, cilantro as the base. Then top Asian style with a ginger sesame dressing, almonds and baked wonton strips. Topped Mexican style with spicy ranch, pepitas and baked corn chips.

This Mark Bittman article is great too. nytimes.com/2009/07/22/dining/22mlist.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0
  • Wadeeee
    Options
    Awesome! Thanks so much! One of my current favorites is kale, cabbage, broccoli, Brussel sprouts, pumpkin seeds and dried cranberries with light poppyseed dressing. So good!!!
  • Wadeeee
    Options
    Sounds amazing! I had some extra strawberries and threw them in my lunch salad today...so good!!!
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    I love salad.... Eat a huge one most nights for dinner. I like a mix of raw and roasted vegies, and like using Parmesan - a little goes a long way! I also use mashed up avo, with vinegar and herbs/spices to make a creamy dressing
  • KellieTru
    KellieTru Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    Not a recipe per se, but try to use plenty of fresh herbs in your salads. Makes them much tastier! Also, adding some form of protein makes salad much more interesting (hard boiled egg, cheese, leftover steak or chicken, etc)
  • Wadeeee
    Options
    All the ideas are inspiring! :)
  • Fallfrenzy
    Fallfrenzy Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    There are some great ideas here! For my salads, sometimes I add banana peppers or pepperocinis for a little kick. I include my favorite vegetables (red peppers, carrots, spinach, beets, sometimes broccoli), quinoa, and whatever else I might have in the fridge. For any additional protein I might throw in either some turkey or a hard boiled egg. Sometimes instead of dressing, I would add in corn salsa, which generally gives my salad enough flavor where I don't need a dressing.
  • suruda
    suruda Posts: 1,233 Member
    Options
    I love this combo:

Chicken breast (I cook it and sprinkle dry ranch seasoning on it while cooking)
    Tons of thinly sliced celery
    diced apple
    light mayo

I will make this and it will ususally cover 2 lunches (a whole chicken breast and one apple...I always use more celery than apple) and it is delicous!

You could totally serve it over lettuce or spinach too

I've also been topping salads and soups with fried onions (the type you would put on green bean casserole), you don't need much and they add great flavor and crunch!
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    I like making theme salads, based on the dressing I will use.
    All my salads have lettuce of various types, carrots, red bell pepper, tomato and a protien, usually grilled chicken.
    Paul Newman makes a great Sesame Ginger. For that I add some mandarin oranges, sesame sticks for crunch and a hard boiled egg.
    Bolthouse makes a good creamy avocado. Added to my regular ingredients is some canned corn, black beans, avocado and a few crunched up blue corn chips.
    To Trader Joe's Cranberry Walnut Vinaigrette, I'll add sliced beef, blue cheese crumbles, dried craisins and walnuts.
    I buy dressing low enough in calories that I can use up to 2 servings of dressing and stay within my calories for lunch.
    My husband says I spend more time chopping than I do eating, but I love my salads.
  • Wadeeee
    Options
    I like making theme salads, based on the dressing I will use.
    All my salads have lettuce of various types, carrots, red bell pepper, tomato and a protien, usually grilled chicken.
    Paul Newman makes a great Sesame Ginger. For that I add some mandarin oranges, sesame sticks for crunch and a hard boiled egg.
    Bolthouse makes a good creamy avocado. Added to my regular ingredients is some canned corn, black beans, avocado and a few crunched up blue corn chips.
    To Trader Joe's Cranberry Walnut Vinaigrette, I'll add sliced beef, blue cheese crumbles, dried craisins and walnuts.
    I buy dressing low enough in calories that I can use up to 2 servings of dressing and stay within my calories for lunch.
    My husband says I spend more time chopping than I do eating, but I love my salads.

This is exactly what I was looking for!!! Thanks so much!!!
  • thereshegoesagain
    thereshegoesagain Posts: 1,056 Member
    Options
    Oh, if I'm out of the Bolthouse avocado dressing, I will just squeeze fresh limes over the salad. It ads a bright, zesty taste that I really like with no calories.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I'm eating a cheeseburger salad right now..90%lean beef, laughing cow cheese wedges, jalapenos, mushroom, onion, tomato..and ketchup because cheeseburger salad. I give it 9.5/10

I eating salad constantly but too lazy to post my recipes.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Fallfrenzy wrote: »
    There are some great ideas here! For my salads, sometimes I add banana peppers or pepperocinis for a little kick. I include my favorite vegetables (red peppers, carrots, spinach, beets, sometimes broccoli), quinoa, and whatever else I might have in the fridge. For any additional protein I might throw in either some turkey or a hard boiled egg. Sometimes instead of dressing, I would add in corn salsa, which generally gives my salad enough flavor where I don't need a dressing.

pepperoncini and banana peppers are game changers.
  • Wadeeee
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I'm eating a cheeseburger salad right now..90%lean beef, laughing cow cheese wedges, jalapenos, mushroom, onion, tomato..and ketchup because cheeseburger salad. I give it 9.5/10

I eating salad constantly but too lazy to post my recipes.

Stop it!! That sounds amazing!!!