Salads

Replies

• bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,571 Member
    Wadeeee wrote: »
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    I'm eating a cheeseburger salad right now..90%lean beef, laughing cow cheese wedges, jalapenos, mushroom, onion, tomato..and ketchup because cheeseburger salad. I give it 9.5/10

I eating salad constantly but too lazy to post my recipes.

Stop it!! That sounds amazing!!!

3rd night in a row. It's bomb.

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    80g roasted butternut pumpkin 
    60g cooked chicken breast 
    15g sliced red onion 
    20g rocket leaves 
    25g baby spinach 
    25g danish feta (Danish feta is much creamier than Greek feta and tends to dissolve a bit and create a creamy type dressing - but you could use either)
    1 tbsp Newmans - Roasted Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette (Or any balsamic type dressing you have access to). 
    1 egg, boiled and diced

278 cal
    Carbs 16
    Fat 11
    Protein 22

You're welcome.
  • Wadeeee
    Wadeeee Posts: 70 Member
    I'm eating a cheeseburger salad right now..90%lean beef, laughing cow cheese wedges, jalapenos, mushroom, onion, tomato..and ketchup because cheeseburger salad. I give it 9.5/10

Stop it!! That sounds amazing!!!

3rd night in a row. It's bomb.

I'm definitely having it this week. 100%, set in stone. :)
  • Wadeeee
    15g sliced red onion 
    20g rocket leaves 
    25g baby spinach 
    25g danish feta (Danish feta is much creamier than Greek feta and tends to dissolve a bit and create a creamy type dressing - but you could use either)
    1 tbsp Newmans - Roasted Garlic Balsamic Vinaigrette (Or any balsamic type dressing you have access to). 
    1 egg, boiled and diced

278 cal
    Carbs 16
    Fat 11
    Protein 22

You're welcome.

Do you cut up the roasted pumpkin into chunks? Sounds extremely good...
  • yurita87
    yurita87 Posts: 18 Member
    Hi! I made a lively salad the other day, it had rocket, baby leaves, avocado and grapes cut in tiny squares with a sweet onion dressing.
  • Wadeeee
    yurita87 wrote: »
    Hi! I made a lively salad the other day, it had rocket, baby leaves, avocado and grapes cut in tiny squares with a sweet onion dressing.
    yurita87 wrote: »

Ooohhhh...grapes and sweet onion dressing!!! Yum!!!
  • lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,072 Member
    I don't do salad "recipes" -- pretty much every salad I eat is different.

But I had a tasty one yesterday: arugula (90 g), blackberries (96 g), kiwifruit (68 g), a mild cheese with walnuts (15 g), tarragon-infused olive oil (14 oz.), tarragon-infused vinegar (no I don't weigh, measure, or log my vinegar usually), salt, and pepper. Very yummy, and only 288 calories (you could obviously make it larger or add some lean protein and still come in under 500 cals, but I had a large lunch plus more calories snacking as my work "afternoon" went well into the evening, so I was mostly looking to get some fresh produce and hit my fiber goal)

Also, I recently invented the "breakfast salad for dinner": arugula (31 g -- so really just a small bed of greens, but you could do more) topped with half an avocado (53 g), 2 large eggs fried in vegetable oil (11 g), scrapple* (just under 4 oz. -- say 109 g), olive oil (5 g -- you don't need a lot with the yolk, the fat from the meat, and the avocado), juice of 1 lemon (that's something else I usually don't bother weighing or measuring, but I do log it), salt and pepper. It was delicious, but sadly my version was 635 calories -- to get it under 100 calories you'd have to cut back on the amount of meat and/or use a leaner breakfast meat (e.g., ham, Canadian bacon), or only have 1 egg and cut back the meat just a little.

*If you've never heard of it, scrapple is a breakfast meat mostly found in the mid-Atlantic region of the U.S. Recipes vary, but originally it was a way to make sure nothing went to waste when you butchered a pigIt's made from pork. They'd boil the scrap bits of meat and fat with the liver and heart (all ground or finely chopped) and corn meal and seasoning, let it cool into slabs roughly the consistency of pate. When it's cold, you can slice it and pan fry it, so it gets nice and crispy. If it's not available to you, or you'd just prefer something else, because you're a chicken who's afraid of organ meat who just doesn't know what you're missing :smile: :smile: , feel free to substitute ham, bacon, sausage, etc.
  • Wadeeee
    I don't do salad "recipes" -- pretty much every salad I eat is different.

But I had a tasty one yesterday: arugula (90 g), blackberries (96 g), kiwifruit (68 g), a mild cheese with walnuts (15 g), tarragon-infused olive oil (14 oz.), tarragon-infused vinegar (no I don't weigh, measure, or log my vinegar usually), salt, and pepper. Very yummy, and only 288 calories (you could obviously make it larger or add some lean protein and still come in under 500 cals, but I had a large lunch plus more calories snacking as my work "afternoon" went well into the evening, so I was mostly looking to get some fresh produce and hit my fiber goal)

Also, I recently invented the "breakfast salad for dinner": arugula (31 g -- so really just a small bed of greens, but you could do more) topped with half an avocado (53 g), 2 large eggs fried in vegetable oil (11 g), scrapple* (just under 4 oz. -- say 109 g), olive oil (5 g -- you don't need a lot with the yolk, the fat from the meat, and the avocado), juice of 1 lemon (that's something else I usually don't bother weighing or measuring, but I do log it), salt and pepper. It was delicious, but sadly my version was 635 calories -- to get it under 100 calories you'd have to cut back on the amount of meat and/or use a leaner breakfast meat (e.g., ham, Canadian bacon), or only have 1 egg and cut back the meat just a little.

*If you've never heard of it, scrapple is a breakfast meat mostly found in the mid-Atlantic region of the U.S. Recipes vary, but originally it was a way to make sure nothing went to waste when you butchered a pigIt's made from pork. They'd boil the scrap bits of meat and fat with the liver and heart (all ground or finely chopped) and corn meal and seasoning, let it cool into slabs roughly the consistency of pate. When it's cold, you can slice it and pan fry it, so it gets nice and crispy. If it's not available to you, or you'd just prefer something else, because you're a chicken who's afraid of organ meat who just doesn't know what you're missing :smile: :smile: , feel free to substitute ham, bacon, sausage, etc.

Thanks for the ideas! Alas, though scrapple is readily available and well known where I live, I must admit that I am most definitely a chicken that's afraid of organ meat. LOL! I'm thinking a few strips of pan-fried bacon will be a nice replacement. ;)
  • JennyHsavage
    JennyHsavage Posts: 123 Member
    4h2pgiqwawvn.jpg
    Sardine, spinach, beetroot, tomato and mixed beans
  • Wadeeee
    Sardine, spinach, beetroot, tomato and mixed beans

Nice!
  • Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Arugula, smoked salmon, beets, goat cheese (walnuts if you like).
    Greek - lettuce, red onions, tomatoes, cucumber, grilled chicken, feta (don't like olives)
    Steak - steak strips, blue cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers
    Antipasto - lettuce, red onions, tomatoes, cucumber, chopped up slices of whatever lunch meat and cheese you like (I like ham and Swiss or ham and gouda, sometimes some salami)

Taco salad - ground meet with taco seasoning, sauteed peppers and onions, beans, bit of cheese, lettuce, avocado, pico de galo, sour cream if you want.

I always use red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, and salt and pepper, for dressing (except for the taco salad, obviously).

I really don't care for fruit or nuts on my salad though.

But I got to try that cheeseburger salad.
  • Wadeeee
    Francl27 wrote: »
    Arugula, smoked salmon, beets, goat cheese (walnuts if you like).
    Greek - lettuce, red onions, tomatoes, cucumber, grilled chicken, feta (don't like olives)
    Steak - steak strips, blue cheese, lettuce, tomatoes, cucumbers
    Antipasto - lettuce, red onions, tomatoes, cucumber, chopped up slices of whatever lunch meat and cheese you like (I like ham and Swiss or ham and gouda, sometimes some salami)

Taco salad - ground meet with taco seasoning, sauteed peppers and onions, beans, bit of cheese, lettuce, avocado, pico de galo, sour cream if you want.

I always use red wine vinegar, Dijon mustard, and salt and pepper, for dressing (except for the taco salad, obviously).

I really don't care for fruit or nuts on my salad though.

But I got to try that cheeseburger salad.

I never thought of antipasto salad!!! Adding to the list!!! Thanks!!! :)
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    15g sliced red onion 
    20g rocket leaves 
    25g baby spinach 
    1 egg, boiled and diced

278 cal
    Carbs 16
    Fat 11
    Protein 22

You're welcome.

Do you cut up the roasted pumpkin into chunks? Sounds extremely good...

Yes, dice the pumpkin up small and toss it in a bit of olive oil, salt and pepper, garlic powder and roast it in the oven (about half an hour seems to be enough). Allow to cool.
  • shandy82165
    shandy82165 Posts: 184 Member
    I love this website for ideas: andiemitchell.com/category/recipes/salads/page/2/

She also has a page dedicated to "how to make a 400 calorie salad". Lot's of ideas and variations! andiemitchell.com/how-to-make-a-delicious-400-calorie-salad/

Plus this amazing salad that I will be trying very soon! andiemitchell.com/cheeseburger-salad-with-big-mac-dressing/
  • Wadeeee
    I love this website for ideas: andiemitchell.com/category/recipes/salads/page/2/

She also has a page dedicated to "how to make a 400 calorie salad". Lot's of ideas and variations! andiemitchell.com/how-to-make-a-delicious-400-calorie-salad/

Plus this amazing salad that I will be trying very soon! andiemitchell.com/cheeseburger-salad-with-big-mac-dressing/

You and me both will be trying the cheeseburger salad soon! Thanks a ton! :)
  • Wadeeee
    1t303o.jpg

My lunch salad today...baby greens, strawberries, candied walnuts, blue cheese and balsamic vinaigrette. :)
  • biteme_01
    biteme_01 Posts: 2 Member
    Shredded chicken, baby spinach, cherry tomatoes, cucumber, capsicum, danish fetta, avocado and pine nuts. The soft, crumbly danish fetta and avocado coat the salad so you don't need extra dressing.
  • bebeisfit
    bebeisfit Posts: 951 Member
    I love the combination of blue cheese, leftover steak, tomatoes and romaine.
    or.. beets, blue cheese, asparagus, greens and balsamic dressing - I make my own.
    or.. romaine, chicken, black beans, roasted corn, tomato, avocado, cilantro - you could add peppers, but I don't like them and tortilla strips which are delicious but I don't have them in the house.. use a lime vinaigrette - lime juice, olive oil, cumin.
    I also like adding fresh herbs when I have them. Parsley is really good in almost any salad - adds a great flavor.

dang..I might have to make a salad today.
  • jwcsanders
    jwcsanders Posts: 50 Member
    I'm eating a cheeseburger salad right now..90%lean beef, laughing cow cheese
    wedges, jalapenos, mushroom, onion, tomato..and ketchup because cheeseburger salad. I give it 9.5/10

That sounds amazing!

• sixxpoint
    sixxpoint Posts: 3,529 Member
    edited May 2017
    Arugula Salad

Baby Arugula
    Frisee
    Candied Walnuts
    Sliced Gala Apple
    Soft Goat Cheese
    Sliced Radish
    Pickled Red Onions
    Sherry-Roasted Garlic Vinaigrette