Got a promotion at work... more time unfortunately...

Options
I have to work almost 2 more hours a day and I'm also coaching baseball for my school. My time to spend on myself is nearly nonexistent due to being with wife and little girl. The problem is, i have now gained 12 pounds since my last spartan race which was in early December. I have to be at work by 6:45 and will not get home until 6 each night after baseball. I've gotta get back together and get my weight off. I was planning on getting 2 trifectas this year... on the pace in going, ill be 300 pounds. I've never had to work this much... and will be better in early may as baseball will be over. However, I'm worried about what is going to happen. My blood pressure is creeping up, I'm stress eating, I'm falling apart. Every bit of extra energy i have, I'm giving to wife and daughter. You fine folks in sure have some ideas and life hacks that could help me. Care to share? Thanks everyone

Replies

• Brocksterdanza
    Brocksterdanza Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I'm an asst principal now... thus long lunch breaks are not an option. Im wondering how i would manage waking up at 5 and working it... im wondering if i would be exhausted by the time i goto baseball practice and by 6 when i get home
  • lemonychild
    lemonychild Posts: 654 Member
    Options
    If you're skipping lunch that means ure in a deficit unless u make up for it all at dinner... u need to get to calorie counting and making a commitment to eating less. Eat less then ur body burns and you shall see weight loss. Excercise is just a tool of to help increase your deficit but deficit is primarily made by eating less
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    I don't skip lunch.. just do not and cannot take an extended lunch like other poster mentioned
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    Thanks for the advice catt
  • brandyjones1991
    brandyjones1991 Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    I definitely agree with making calorie counting and accurate food logging a priority. I too work long hours and am studying for the CPA exam so time to work out is non-existent so I focus on the food choices and logging.

Here are some ideas for adding a little more movement to your day:
    -Drink more water. Not only is this good for your health, but it will force you to get up more.
    -You're an assistant principal so I assume you have a lot of meetings. Can any of those be turned into walking meetings?
    -I assume you have an office. Set a timer and do some light exercise when it goes off (I have a fitbit that vibrates if I haven't taken at least 250 steps in the hour)
    -There are bike pedal things you can get to go under your desk to pedal while you work.

These things won't make big differences in your deficit, but it may help your mood and energy.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    I helped coach a jr high track team for several years. This was my routine. Get up at 4:15 to get to gym by 5:00. Lift for an hour, clean up, hour commute, at work by 7:30 AM. Work till 4:00, back for track practice at 5:30, home by 7:00. Maybe do a bit of work stuff before bed.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Focus on food, not exercise.

Your baseball is already a good bit of exercise, I wouldn't recommend getting up at 5 to work out.

I would start by looking at what you are eating and find ways to reduce calories and increase satisfaction. Good starting points are to add extra veg for bulk, reduce carb portions a little, increase protein, sub in whole grains and moderate added fat.

Don't cut fat too much as a lot of people find it very satisfying, but if you are adding large amounts of things like cheese, butter, mayo then you can probably get just as much enjoyment from smaller amounts and it will have a big impact on your calories.

First step: log everything accurately, no exceptions, for two weeks. Don't make changes, just log what you normally eat. Then start looking through your diary and identifying where you can make changes.

And if you do want to add activity, see if you can add something at the weekend that you can all do together, like walking or bike riding. But this will not make a big difference to your calories, it will mainly help stress. The food needs to be your main line of attack.

Why wouldn't you recommend getting up at 5 to work out? Many people do that or earlier.

Also, I have coached youth baseball. While it's better that sitting on a couch it is not significant exercise IMO.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Also if you want to have some family life, work, coach and workout I found you need to ruthlessly cut tv and non-work related internet browsing.

Congrats on the promotion and best of luck with your season.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    Fortunate for me, i can be at my gym in 5 mins... my school is 5 mins away as well.. so travel and commute wouldnt be a concern. I obviously have weekends to hit the gym and do cardio... if i do choose to go during the week, how many days should i focus on hitting? Sundays can be a bit busy sometimes with church, etc.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    Fortunate for me, i can be at my gym in 5 mins... my school is 5 mins away as well.. so travel and commute wouldnt be a concern. I obviously have weekends to hit the gym and do cardio... if i do choose to go during the week, how many days should i focus on hitting? Sundays can be a bit busy sometimes with church, etc.

Depends on goals. You mentioned spartan races as one. During the season I would suggest a 3 day a week full body weight routine emphasizing compound movements. The other 2 weekdays do your cardio. Maybe a bit longer cardio on Saturdays before the world catches you. If possible, I would do the flexibility/mobility work with the team to take care of that.

You can refine a bit when you get out of baseball season
  • razzapool
    razzapool Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    on the days u can make it to the gym just do as much as you can, what with work and wife and 6 kids I cant make it every day but I do try to go 4 times a week and I make sure I work my *kitten* off when I am there
  • lmew91
    lmew91 Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Do your kiddos do laps or any sort of jogging or working out at practice? Even if it's just a warm up for them, you could join them, and burn a few calories while possibly encouraging them to push themselves.

If you can get up at 5am and go work out, that would be an awesome start to your day. If you have to force yourself to do it, and it just drains you of more energy, I think if I were you that I wouldn't do that. But, to each his own, how bad do you want it, and all of that.

I work Mon-Fri, so I often utilizing weekends for extra-long or extra-intense work outs, earlier work outs than during the work week, etc.

And, at the end of the day, managing your calories is for weight loss, and exercise is for fitness/health/more calories to eat. So focusing on how many calories you consume can help curb the weight gain, as has already been mentioned.
  • Brocksterdanza
    Options
    Thanks all... i just dont want to be another statistic of working out hard for a week or 2 and burning out, etc... then ending up worse than i am now... i enjoy working out immensely... its just getting there. Im hoping by end of may to be back down to 225 of 230 where i like to be... im 260 now.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,973 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm an asst principal now... thus long lunch breaks are not an option. Im wondering how i would manage waking up at 5 and working it... im wondering if i would be exhausted by the time i goto baseball practice and by 6 when i get home

What about a 20 or 30 minute brisk walk at lunchtime to just destress?
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    Options

I often get up at 5 to work out. Work by 7 then when I get out around 4 I head to my second job waitressing. Getting home at 10, shower, bed to get up and do it all over again. Its possible, you just have to want it. 5am will become your YOU time and you will start to enjoy it :smiley:
  • FoxyMars25
    FoxyMars25 Posts: 112 Member
    Options
    Could you workout in the evenings after you get home? I get up for work at 5:30 every morning and do not get home until 6pm and then I workout. I know you have a gym but maybe you can do an evening workout at home and include your family so you get time with them. Even if it is just a walk together around your neighborhood. But definitely focus on your nutrition because you should be able to do that. Just try to walk as much as you possibly can during the week and lift weights/do cardio on the weekends.
  • Packerjohn
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »

My wife is in education. The 30 minute lunch is time to wolf down your food and try to catch other teaches to disuss students.

Not sure if always the case but typical for educators I know.
  • Brocksterdanza
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »

My wife is in education. The 30 minute lunch is time to wolf down your food and try to catch other teaches to disuss students.

Not sure if always the case but typical for educators I know. [/quo