Always below 1000 calories. Dizzy.

Options
123457»

Replies

• DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    From what I've read, you need to change from 3 meals to 6-7 small meals. Also, quick-digesting carbs are not good. Avoid high-carbohydrate meals and alcohol. It is also suggested to sit or lie down 30-60min after eating. More fat and protein, less carbs. I wonder if a keto-style meal plan would help?
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    Hey guys. I was diasgnosed with Postprandial Hypotension. The doctor said I'm not doing anything wrong and different eating patterns wouldn't really make it better or worse. I'm being put in blood pressure medication.

Not sure what was said that was removed, though I'm interested to know what it was. But thanks for sticking up for me. ❤️

I have some sutures in my head from hitting it when I fainted but other then that I'm feeling fine now.
    Much love

So glad you figured out what is going on.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    It may take some time to get it figured out. I wonder if there is a support group somewhere that you can pick people's brains for some ways to help you get some food in. How often do you snack? You may need to just eat very small amounts every couple of hours.

I hardly ever snack! Maybe I should more
    Thanks

Understood. How well do you do with full fat yogurt, and someone else suggested nuts. Maybe start with just a bit and see how well you can tolerate the food.

Perhaps your doctor can refer you to a nutritionist who can help you work through your eating plan to make sure you are getting adequate calories.
  • ejbronte
    ejbronte Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    I've also been lurking and glad to hear you got a diagnosis, and that it's a treatable thing (also that it's not diabetes, which I was suspecting). I found a website on your condition, which sounds fairly sensible; hope it will be helpful to you:

health.harvard.edu/heart-health/eating-can-cause-low-blood-pressure
  • sarabushby
    sarabushby Posts: 784 Member
    Options
    I echo everyone else's comments reference being happy you have got help :) Hopefully the meds will kick in soon.
    In the meantime I wondered if SLOWLY drinking a protein shake might work for you? You may well have already tried that in which case I apologise but just wondered if liquid calories like shakes and/or clear soups and broths might go down better.
  • sarahrusse_
    sarahrusse_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »
    I echo everyone else's comments reference being happy you have got help :) Hopefully the meds will kick in soon.
    In the meantime I wondered if SLOWLY drinking a protein shake might work for you? You may well have already tried that in which case I apologise but just wondered if liquid calories like shakes and/or clear soups and broths might go down better.

Actually I had a protein milk drink yesterday and it gave me energy without the fainting! I'm going to try some more. :)
  • sarahrusse_
    sarahrusse_ Posts: 32 Member
    Options
    It may take some time to get it figured out. I wonder if there is a support group somewhere that you can pick people's brains for some ways to help you get some food in. How often do you snack? You may need to just eat very small amounts every couple of hours.

I hardly ever snack! Maybe I should more
    Thanks

Also, do you have a blood pressure monitor at home? If not buy one. They make an automatic type which is nice. You just put the cuff around your arm and hit a button and sit still. It then gives your blood pressure and heart rate. This could help you check your blood pressure in relation to different amounts of food and therefore help you better discover what amount of food or even which specific foods seem to agree with you best.

Calibration of these cuffs is usually done at no cost to the customer. Usually you just call the customer service number and ask if they will send a shipping label so you can mail it in for calibrating. I have one by Life Fitness. There are many other brands. This one cost around 100 bucks.

I might look into this
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Hey guys. I was diasgnosed with Postprandial Hypotension. The doctor said I'm not doing anything wrong and different eating patterns wouldn't really make it better or worse. I'm being put in blood pressure medication.

Not sure what was said that was removed, though I'm interested to know what it was. But thanks for sticking up for me. ❤️

I have some sutures in my head from hitting it when I fainted but other then that I'm feeling fine now.
    Much love

Really happy to hear you were properly diagnosed and are now doing things to manage your hypotension. Best of luck to you! :)
  • MagicalGiraffe
    MagicalGiraffe Posts: 102 Member
    Options
    This sounds familiar. It sounds like diabetes or hypoglycemia...any one of those two can easily present this way. A simple diagnosis can make all of this go away with proper nutritional education about what is working (and what doesn't work) for your body.
    Until you see a Dr, I also strongly encourage you to really limit your intake of starchy foods (that break down into sugar), as well as your intake of refined sugars themselves (as mentioned by others), and heed their advice about adding more protein, healthy fats and whole grains.
    Please please see a Dr. I'm so glad you reached out for support; please take very good care of yourself.

Doesn't sound like diabetes. If I were to eat toast with peanut butter on and not injecting, in an hours time I would be hounding for water, pissing a bunch and getting very drowsy. You wouldn't go hypoglycaemic after a meal like that because that type of meal doesn't cause a spike.

I don't know what it's like to be hypoglycaemic on its own (as in with no diabetes diagnosis) but my blood would drop and I'd get those symptoms if I'd drank alcohol, done exercise, gotten too hot or over injected. She's getting dizzy spells 30minutes after eating and your bloods just wouldn't drop like that after a meal.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    Options
    glad you are finding things that are working for you OP.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options
    sarabushby wrote: »

Actually I had a protein milk drink yesterday and it gave me energy without the fainting! I'm going to try some more. :)

What might be an idea is to go to the drugstore and pick up some Ensure with Extra Calories. It will give you the protein, vitamins and calories you need while you get this sorted. They also come in some pretty yummy favours. Make sure you shake them really well and drink them ice cold.

Keep us posted! :)