Does breakfast help YOU eat less later? It hasn't yet for me.

Options
124»

Replies

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Yes, eating breakfast helps me keep things in check...I used to skip and be so hungry by lunch that I'd just go nuts on all the food.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Machka9 wrote: »
    Does breakfast help YOU eat less later?

Nope. Eating breakfast is like flipping an "ON" switch ... I just want to keep eating all day long.

This is exactly me.

I have coffee with some protein powder that I sip until lunch. I like to feel full after eating- so I do better eating two decent meals compared to three small ones.

This is me, too.

I used to force myself to eat breakfast back before the whole breakfast-is-the-most-important-meal-of-the-day thing finally got be-bunked. I soon realized how stupid it was of me to eat when I simply wasn't hungry. And I found that if I *do* eat breakfast it wakes up the sleeping "Feed Me!" monster way too early, which makes for a rather long and hungry day. ;)

I eat a good lunch and dinner, and then have room left over for a few snacks in the evening, too. :)

Everyone is different. You just have to experiment to find out what works best for you.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    When I eat very early in the day it seems to stoke my hunger all day long. Therefore I usually eat my first meal after 2 pm and I can keep my calories in check.

You should do what works for you.

The same for me. Sometimes I go longer. It's 5:00 pm CST and I haven't eaten since 10:30 on last night.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options
    If I eat in the morning I'm hungrier the rest of the day and feel the need to snack. So I do 16:8IF and my eating window is from 11am-7pm. This works really well for me!

I also do IF mainly 16:8 but some days my eating window is only 5 or 6 hours because I've fasted longer. It seems the longer I do IF I am able to extend my fasting window. Many days it's at least 18 hours. I started in October and I absolutely love it.
  • Mad_Goose
    Mad_Goose Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I can't function without breakfast. I normally have a mug of coffee and something light to eat. I then have a snack mid morning. If I don't have a breakfast I'm normally starving by lunch.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    If I have breakfast it makes me want to keep eating. This is lessened by having low carbs at breakfast. I find waiting until around noon to eat is best for me.
  • paperpudding
    paperpudding Posts: 9,001 Member
    Options
    I dont think it makes me eat more later - but I certainly cant go to work without a small breakfast (usually 3 weetbix in bowl of milk) - or I feel faint and dizzy and cant concentrate way before lunch. I do have a small snack - like a museli bar, mid morning and then lunch at 1 pm.
  • Noreenmarie1234
    Noreenmarie1234 Posts: 7,493 Member
    Options
    I think it depends how late you eat dinner/snacks. I eat dinner very late and eat right before bed. (most of my calories from 7pm-2am) so I am not hungry at all until around lunch time. When I don't eat at night or go to bed without eating a big snack I am starving and have to eat early. I used to just eat dinner at around 7 and had to have breakfast but now that I eat late I figure my "third meal" (aka the big snack before bed) is kind of like a breakfast at a different time lol
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    Your issue and my weakness is 'self control at night'. When I have hours at home with my refrigerator and pantry, I'm subject to the temptation to eat more than my plan. I've noticed that if instead of reaching for the food I jump on the cardio machine and workout vigorously for half an hour my interest in yielding to the temptation of overeating is squelched.
  • katjennings
    katjennings Posts: 31 Member
    Options
    Breakfast or not doesn't matter as much as feelings for me. Feelings can get me to binge every time. I journal about my feelings it helps.
  • ajoseph5
    ajoseph5 Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    I used to not eat breakfast due to up in the morning at 5am, getting kids to their destination for school and heading off to work for 7:30am. By the time lunch came, I could eat everything in site. What I have learned to do is grab a couple of fruits apples and oranges and 30 ounces of water on my way out the door so, by the time I make it to work, I am not hungry by the time lunch rolls around. Also, when you feel that you are hungry, drink some water to see if it's true hunger. I also found out my water intake was extremely poor but I have been doing better and feel much, much better.