New life starts now. Ketogenic diet

Hey all,
Nice to meet you! Starting the new lifestyle now. Low carb. Starting exercise. Haven't exercised since military about 20 years ago. Want to be the best me possible in all ways.

Open to friends and team mates.

Here's to all of us having the willpower to battle the poisons!

Be well,
Jimmy

Replies

• sugaraddict4321
    sugaraddict4321 Posts: 15,836 MFP Moderator
    Welcome to MFP. :)
  • Annie_01
    Annie_01 Posts: 3,096 Member
    There is a LCHF group that you might consider joining. They can give you a lot of advice and answer any questions that you might have. Just click on the "groups" button at the top of the page and you should find them.

Good luck with your choices and welcome to the jungle.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Hello! I began the Ketogenic way of life two years ago and have been at goal since July! Commit to yourself and you will win this battlefor health! Carb withdrawal is real, but gets better!

There are a couple of groups that are centered around low carb/keto eating and are super active! The Lcd/Low Carber Daily, and Keto groups are people who are doing, or have succeeded (like me!) with this way of eating (woe, btw)!

Welcome to MFP! I credit them to my success too! Cheers for better health!!
  • larry_world
    larry_world Posts: 9 Member
    Awesome! Welcome!
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Zengrizzly wrote: »
    Hey all,
    Nice to meet you! Starting the new lifestyle now. Low carb. Starting exercise. Haven't exercised since military about 20 years ago. Want to be the best me possible in all ways.

Open to friends and team mates.

Here's to all of us having the willpower to battle the poisons!

Be well,
    Jimmy

Welcome!

What 'poisons' are you referring to?
  • Zengrizzly
    Zengrizzly Posts: 76 Member
    edited February 2017
    What 'poisons' are you referring to?
    Mainly sugar. Also processed foods.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    edited February 2017
    Consider joining the Low Carber Daily MFP group mentione above. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group It's where most low carbers and keto'ers hang out.

Don't forget to increase sodium to the equivalent of 1-2 teapoons of salt per day to avoid losing electrolytes too fast when you cut the carbs. Good luck. :)
  • mollycanine
    mollycanine Posts: 5 Member
    LCHF is a good diet plan, and can be a maintenance plan as well. I lost a LOT of weight, met my goal 3 1/2 years ago, and have maintained ever since, continuing to follow that same plan ... and haven't missed a beat. But you need to realize that you still will need to have a calorie goal, just fit your lchf foods within that goal. Every persons' body is different. I tried every weight loss plan and scheme ever developed on this earth and nothing worked. Including straight-up calorie counting. I saw my doctor, fit the lchf plan into calorie counting, and voila ... worked for me. And continues. But don't fall into the trap of villifying any food group or sugar. You'll doom yourself. The best advice my doctor gave me was .... can you honestly think that you will never attend a birthday party, or anniversary, or holiday or funeral ever again, and never eat a piece of cake or plate of pasta or any type of fare served at those occasions? Of course not. You need to still have those life occasions along with your low carb lifestyle once in a while ... just not every day, and still continue on your weight loss journey just fine. If you don't, you're doomed from the get-go. And yes, as others said above, if you're looking for support, by all means, consider the low carb groups on MFP. They should be a tremendous help to you. Good luck in your journey.
  • Zengrizzly
    edited February 2017
    LCHF is a good diet plan, and can be a maintenance plan as well. I lost a LOT of weight, met my goal 3 1/2 years ago, and have maintained ever since, continuing to follow that same plan ... and haven't missed a beat. But you need to realize that you still will need to have a calorie goal, just fit your lchf foods within that goal. Every persons' body is different. I tried every weight loss plan and scheme ever developed on this earth and nothing worked. Including straight-up calorie counting. I saw my doctor, fit the lchf plan into calorie counting, and voila ... worked for me. And continues. But don't fall into the trap of villifying any food group or sugar. You'll doom yourself. The best advice my doctor gave me was .... can you honestly think that you will never attend a birthday party, or anniversary, or holiday or funeral ever again, and never eat a piece of cake or plate of pasta or any type of fare served at those occasions? Of course not. You need to still have those life occasions along with your low carb lifestyle once in a while ... just not every day, and still continue on your weight loss journey just fine. If you don't, you're doomed from the get-go. And yes, as others said above, if you're looking for support, by all means, consider the low carb groups on MFP. They should be a tremendous help to you. Good luck in your journey.

Thanks and I agree. But my hunger decreases so rapidly on this diet, I struggle to actually get close to my calories. I've been under every day. I'm one of the lucky ones. I've a sweet tooth. Deny me that and food becomes fuel. GREAT TASTING fuel but fuel none the less.

And sugar is a poison to me. It doesn't mean I'll deny myself anything forever. I have the intention of taking a refeed meal at LEAST once every two weeks. Anything I want, I've found this works effectively for me as well as makes me feel as if I'm not losing anything.

Thanks for the support!
  • Zengrizzly
  • BevanKetoNZ
    BevanKetoNZ Posts: 5 Member
    edited February 2017
    Good luck man. I plan to slip out of ketosis (after 3 months or more) on occasion to enjoy Christmas, birthday cake, etc then fast myself back on. Meant to be a lot quicker getting back into keto the second time round like a day or two. Enjoying it so far, it's been a week for me.
  • Onyx_Eve
    Onyx_Eve Posts: 37 Member
    Good luck ZenGrizzly!!