So far, so good!

Options
livedb
livedb Posts: 45 Member
Hey everyone!!

Just wanted to introduce myself and share my success using My Fitness Pal.

My name is Rick. I hit my max weight of 255lbs around Christmas time. I am a single divorcee and have let myself go for almost 15 years.

I had a mild scare in May just after my 48th birthday when my blood pressure spiked and I felt a bit funny. I had not seen a doctor or had any obvious health issues for those 15 years, but I knew my weight and family history were working against me. I am fortunate to have a great friend Carlos, who's wife Julie, is a nurse and nutrition counselor. I called her and told her my symptoms, she sent her husband over to make sure I went to the urgent care facility close buy immediately for a checkout.
When I arrived and they tested my pressure they got a reading of 173 / 110. After waiting about a half hour, the reading went down slightly, and we found that I had been affected by some decongestants I took for a cold I was getting over, but it was my wake up call.

Julie explained to me how I could get going on a path to a heather me using Myfitnesspal. She came to my house, and helped me trash all the bad food in my life. Took me shopping for some good food. Made me get a full physical, and gave me some great resources for getting started, and she has coached me the whole way! She's great!

I went to a primary care doctor the next day and told him I wanted to turn myself in....lol! I was a fugitive from vegetables and any good eating habits. It was time to change my life.
I had a checkup, and set up for a full physical the following month. ...In that month, I lost over 10 lbs.
I am happy to say the blood-work came back great!! Glucose 80, Total Cholesterol 128, HDL 34, LDL 48... all good!! I guess this old jalopy is worth holding on to after all!

I started with that old treadmill ... you know the one that has been in the corner of the bedroom for 15 years. Got into the habit of waking up, weighing in, and getting on the treadmill for at least 1/2 hour every morning. Then I got a new Bike... WOW!!
Now I am addicted to riding my bike!!! I used to BMX when I was young and now I have it all coming back to me!!

So, fast forward to today, and I just hit 28 lbs down from my start weight, and 35lbs down from my highest weight.

I feel great!! I look forward to exercising. I actually like many more vegetables than I thought I would. I cant wait to break the 200 mark!!
The photo in my profile is of me and my two best friends from Jr High, and My 82 year old Mommy. They guy on the far right, had a health scare last year... He has lost 30+ lbs. I am standing next to him next to my mommy. they guy on the left is next ... he just doesn't know it yet....lol

Thanks to Myfitnesspal, and Julie and Carlos for all the help!! :love:

Get-R-Done!!!

Before pic.... No current shots yet. :bigsmile:

[img]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/livedb/San Diego 10-19-11 Mom Move/a9aa2ffe-bcfc-417b-ab0a-50126b65f26d_zps08ba5918.jpg[/img]

Replies

• hananah89
    hananah89 Posts: 692 Member
    Options
    great job!
  • livedb
    Options
    I hit 38 lbs down yesterday!! :tongue: And I only started on May 15th!!! Success is addictive!!!

Bought some new shorts!! I was a 46, now I'm a 40!!! Neck down 2 inches! Hips down 2 also! Even the dreaded side boobs are melting away!

Picked up the exercise to an hour most days, and will finish my second week at the gym doing mostly weights and some cardio. My usually painful back is stronger now too!!

I have made three big 27 mile bike rides averaging over 13 mph. Most days I do a 10 mile ride in 45 min. I am loving riding my bike so much!! I don't know what I'll do when winter comes.:grumble:

My high weight was 255.... Now I weigh 210... Cant wait to break the 200 mark!!!
    I had hoped to get there before I turned 50.... Looks like it wont take that long after all!! :bigsmile:
  • Squamation
    Squamation Posts: 522 Member
    Options
    Great job on your journey so far!

And can I just say I love the humor in your posts. It's a great approach to weight loss and life in general. Can't wait to read more updates from you in the future.
  • babol23
    babol23 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Nice Job, your lucky you have such good friends. Good luck hitting the under 200 mark.
  • mulecanter
    mulecanter Posts: 1,792 Member
    Options
    Great story. I'm starting from around the same spot (248.5) and share your dream. The 200 lb barrier is the Holy Grail for me for now, then downward I hope.
  • livedb
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It really has been incredible to me how quickly it all happened after I made the changes. Why didnt I do this so long ago.... :sad:

Those guys are great!! They just did an obstacle course race last weekend and Carlos rolled his ankle in the tires. I made a great Pork Loin roast and brought it over. :tongue: They loved it!!

I tried to take some pictures today, but couldn't get any i liked...lol I will try again soon. :blushing:
  • livedb
    Options
    I guess this one is good enough.
    Just back from a 13 mile ride!

[img]http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s240/livedb/wheel locks/weight loss/DSCN2336_zps48fd214c.jpg[/img]
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    WOW! WOW! WOW!
  • livedb
    Options
    I was hoping to break the 200 mark by now, but I have plateaued at 207 for several days. I do typically loose a little on the weekends after a gig, so let's hope I can make 205 for Monday.

I have a followup Dr appointment on Monday. I think he's gonna be surprised. :blushing:
  • livedb
    Options
    Happy to report I have made it to ONE-derland!

Officially 198!!

Bike was broken for almost two weeks. I went to the gym and used the elliptical. When i finally got my bike back, I have done two 20+ mile rides already!!! Lifting weights a few times a week as well. But as long as this awesome weather holds up, I'm doing what i can outside!!!

SO Happy!!!
  • livedb
    Options
    Update time!

Kicking butt and taking names! 63 pounds down so far!!
    Weight 184.9 Waist 36 Hips 40 Neck 15.5 .

Doctor was amazed at the progress! Blood work came back perfect!

I managed to get through a week vacation in San Diego, Thanksgiving, Christmas and all the holiday goodies, only gained a few pounds and burned it back off quickly. However I have really hit a Plato. I have been stuck at 187 for months.

Coach gave me her old fit-bit for Christmas, so I have been getting use to trying to get more steps in every day. It is a good motivator when I find myself sitting a lot.

Weight training is going well. I have just about maxed out several of the machines so I need to start a transition to free weights in February. I have added a daily home routine of 100 push-up's, 100 sit-up's, and 100 Squats just to get a good base in every day!

Bike rides are limited now with the freezing weather, but I have managed to get out many times. Looking to get a road bike this year so I can go for my first century ride!

I have also tried to up my protein intake a bit more to give the new muscles. I want to look into Protein powders to add to pre and post workout smoothies. Any tasty suggestions?

Thanks to all the great people here for the support and info!
  • GummyHuman
    GummyHuman Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    I love reading all the updates! Great job :flowerforyou:

I don't think I would be able to stand after a 13 mile run. Great pic!

I got stuck at one weight for about a month too, but it has started to shake loose again, slowly.... but surely!

Keep up the great work!
  • cityjaneLondon
    cityjaneLondon Posts: 12,355 Member
    Options
    Excellent work! You are looking good!
  • livedb
    Options
    Thanks lady's! :blushing:

I had a long day yesterday. I didn't get a meal at the show. Came home , made a PBJ, and sacked out!
    Weighed 181.4 this morning!! 3 more lbs in one day!! But I am hungry today, so I need to not eat too much and loose that progress.

Just realized that picture is now almost 20 lbs ago!! :noway: Time to try for another shot!
  • sugarkissprincess
    sugarkissprincess Posts: 2,595 Member
    Options
    Awesome job, keep it up and congrats!
  • bambishealth
    bambishealth Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    Fantastic job! Inspiring.
  • hdale91
    Options
    Wowsers! Congratulations :)
  • livedb
    Options
    Thank's again Ladies! :tongue:

I'll work on that next photo soon.:wink:
  • susanrechter
    susanrechter Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Yep. Your body was craving good nutrition and exercise. You now have great lab results to prove your body rewarded you for taking care of it. Great work!
  • livedb
    Options
    Made it to 179.7 today! First time under 180!! Yea me!!
    :drinker:
Do you Love MyFitnessPal? Have you crushed a goal or improved your life through better nutrition using MyFitnessPal?
Share your success and inspire others. Leave us a review on Apple Or Google Play stores!