55 plus hangout

Options
Rick_1953
Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
I know there are mature mfp members out there. We can support and help each other here. Share success, or frustrations, ask questions about exercise and nutrition etc. Join in the discussion.

I am Rick, been on mfp for 13 months. I am 63 now and in the past year I have lost almost 40 lbs, added muscle again and went from struggling to walk a half mile to running over 3 miles.

I am not Superman, anyone can accomplish this and more regardless of age.

I would like to hear your story

Replies

• L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I'm 56 and am interested. Add me to your group.
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    I'm 56 and am interested. Add me to your group.

Hi Tiny dancer in pink. What's your story regarding fitness and health
  • L1zardQueen
    L1zardQueen Posts: 8,754 Member
    Options
    I was a fitness instructor and taught classes for many years. I never could lose weight, always hovering at the top of bmi chart as overweight. I thought I could eat anything. Wrong. When I started counting calories it turns out I was overeating. Now I'm at maintenance and I don't need to exercise like a crazy girl. Life is good.
  • tntc3
    tntc3 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi! I would love to join this group. I am 58 yo female, increasingly sedentary these last three years. I have started moving again about the third week of January. Each week of activity has been different, I am trying to keep myself injury free. My goals for 2017 include increasing back strength (decreasing back pain), increasing my general sense of wellness and hopefully toning up and losing inches!
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    tntc3 wrote: »
    Hi! I would love to join this group. I am 58 yo female, increasingly sedentary these last three years. I have started moving again about the third week of January. Each week of activity has been different, I am trying to keep myself injury free. My goals for 2017 include increasing back strength (decreasing back pain), increasing my general sense of wellness and hopefully toning up and losing inches!

Welcome @tntc3 , yes start slow. You don't need an injury to set you back. Hope you are stretching as well to relieve back pain.
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    I was a fitness instructor and taught classes for many years. I never could lose weight, always hovering at the top of bmi chart as overweight. I thought I could eat anything. Wrong. When I started counting calories it turns out I was overeating. Now I'm at maintenance and I don't need to exercise like a crazy girl. Life is good.

@Tiny_Dancer_in_Pink . Calorie counting is the best ways to maintain weight. A little exercise helps. Welcome
  • SammiG01
    SammiG01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hi all. 8 yrs ago I lost 115lbs over a year. I have gained a lot of it back through this crazy cycle of self sabotage. I hate the damage ive done to my body and I cant let this go any further. I've been back here two weeks and feel really ready to tackle this again. I have set up short term goals for myself because the big picture is daunting. I like the idea of being part of a group of similar aged people. I am about to turn 57. I log every day and my diary is open. Feel free to add me if you are like minded.
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    Hi @SammiG01 welcome back. Sorry to ear that you regained so much of the weight back. I have been on mfp for a little over a year. Not really maintaining yet as now I want to add additional muscle so I am working on a weight gain of muscle and not fat. I truly believe the only way to keep the weight off is to make a permanent lifestyle change. Just dieting and exercising to reach a goal is not the answer. Approaching it that way sets the mind up as a temporary fix. I don't diet, I eat what I want but I do track calories. I exercise at least 5 times each week. I am happy and active and this is how I want to be. I am here to support you reach your goals
  • dlbro
    dlbro Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Yo playmates I is 70 just off to squash badminton tomorrow gotta get in shape for the beach this summer going to Scotland hoc hi the neu
  • Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    Started at 54 years old. Lost 45 lbs. Currently active in running and triathlon. Next race is Va Beach marathon in March. Goal race is Ironman Lake Placid 70.3 in Sept. Age is just a number!
  • djwar9858
    djwar9858 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    Count me in...56 years young. Always thin then, BAM....40 extra pounds. It's been a great lesson in watching what passes my lips. I'm an ex runner and am now back on the treadmill. Lost 15 so far...just that small bit of weight and my knees already feel better. It's a lot harder now, but I'm in it for the long haul.
  • SammiG01
    SammiG01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Rick_1953 wrote: »
    Hi @SammiG01 welcome back. Sorry to ear that you regained so much of the weight back. I have been on mfp for a little over a year. Not really maintaining yet as now I want to add additional muscle so I am working on a weight gain of muscle and not fat. I truly believe the only way to keep the weight off is to make a permanent lifestyle change. Just dieting and exercising to reach a goal is not the answer. Approaching it that way sets the mind up as a temporary fix. I don't diet, I eat what I want but I do track calories. I exercise at least 5 times each week. I am happy and active and this is how I want to be. I am here to support you reach your goals

Thanks Rick. You are an inspiration. My motivation is high right now of course, only two weeks in and 7 lbs down. But realistically, the weight loss will slow down and the motivation will falter. Thanks for the support, I would appreciate an actively supportive group. I will be there for all as best I can as well. Have a lovely Sunday. I am off to go tobogganing with my grandaughter. This should be interesting. Going down the hill, piece of cake.....pulling her and the sled back up the hill? Welll....we will see.
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    djwar9858 wrote: »
    Count me in...56 years young. Always thin then, BAM....40 extra pounds. It's been a great lesson in watching what passes my lips. I'm an ex runner and am now back on the treadmill. Lost 15 so far...just that small bit of weight and my knees already feel better. It's a lot harder now, but I'm in it for the long haul.

Welcome to the club @djwar9858 . Nice that you are running again. I would suggest some resistance training as well. The more lean muscle you have the better the results.
  • wtxchick
    wtxchick Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Sign me up too! I'm 53 (turning 54 in March) and I just decided I have had it with all the other diets I had been doing! They make me crazy! I'm far better off doing my own thing - it's gotta be because I am in my fifties :smile: It became my thing to say "I don't have to do that anymore. I'm fifty!" HaHa!
    Like djwar9858 said, I'm in this for the long haul. I like designing my own eating plan and eating according to my goals.
    I have 3 kids, all grown. My oldest is 26 and a high school journalism teacher plus she writes for our local newspaper. My son is 24 and about to graduate from Texas A&M with a degree in Construction Science and my youngest is 21 and a college twirler. It's all my husband and I can do to keep her from getting married before she graduates in December!!
    My husband and I do kickboxing together but he is completely sold on Weight Watchers Smartpoints and I'm just not! So this should be a good support for me!
    And, finally, my weight loss goal is a little staggering (at least to me) - 70 lbs! Yikes!!
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    Djproulx wrote: »
    Started at 54 years old. Lost 45 lbs. Currently active in running and triathlon. Next race is Va Beach marathon in March. Goal race is Ironman Lake Placid 70.3 in Sept. Age is just a number!

@Djproulx , very inspirational that you are accomplishing these goals in your 50s
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    dlbro wrote: »
    Yo playmates I is 70 just off to squash badminton tomorrow gotta get in shape for the beach this summer going to Scotland hoc hi the neu

Hi @dlbro enjoy the badminton and welcome
  • dlbro
    dlbro Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    Cheers here's too a 6 pack
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    wtxchick wrote: »
    Sign me up too! I'm 53 (turning 54 in March) and I just decided I have had it with all the other diets I had been doing! They make me crazy! I'm far better off doing my own thing - it's gotta be because I am in my fifties :smile: It became my thing to say "I don't have to do that anymore. I'm fifty!" HaHa!
    Like djwar9858 said, I'm in this for the long haul. I like designing my own eating plan and eating according to my goals.
    I have 3 kids, all grown. My oldest is 26 and a high school journalism teacher plus she writes for our local newspaper. My son is 24 and about to graduate from Texas A&M with a degree in Construction Science and my youngest is 21 and a college twirler. It's all my husband and I can do to keep her from getting married before she graduates in December!!
    My husband and I do kickboxing together but he is completely sold on Weight Watchers Smartpoints and I'm just not! So this should be a good support for me!
    And, finally, my weight loss goal is a little staggering (at least to me) - 70 lbs! Yikes!!
    @wtxchick ,the long haul means a true lifestyle change not just a temporary diet and exercise routine. You can achieve your goals, just start slow and set achievable short term goals as you go forward
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    I am 58 years young..I started on MFP March 2016..I weighed 308+ last Feb 28th.

I am diabetic. Today, I am 75+ pounds less and I am no meds for diabetes. Diet controlled.

I exercise daily and practice CICO..

macfwf3kn05j.jpg

@BiggDaddy58 that's a great six pack and welcome