55 plus hangout

Options

Replies

• Djproulx
    Djproulx Posts: 3,084 Member
    Options
    @BiggDaddy58 - Nothing like a 6 pack, lol.
  • SammiG01
    SammiG01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    So where is everyone in our happy group from? I am in Winnipeg, which is in Manitoba, which is in Canada.
  • DoneWorking
    DoneWorking Posts: 247 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm Marc and I'm 67. When I lost my initial weight, 61 pounds, I lost the last 44 here. That was about 4 years sgo. I had several very supportive friends and it made it a lot more fun. When I came back, they had apparently moved on, so I'm looking for some new ones. Please check my profile and if you're interested add me.
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    I am from Ossining, New York. Just about 35 miles north of NYC.
  • tuckerrj
    tuckerrj Posts: 1,453 Member
    Options
    I've been active most of my life. But like so many here, I've never been anywhere near a normal BMI. At 5'9" and 235 lbs. it's a struggle to maintain, much less lose weight. But I compete in the Senior Olympics (weightlifting), ran a 1/2 marathon, completed multiple sprint triathlons (in training), and do some form of exercise everyday. "Friend" me if you'd like to interact. . .
  • SammiG01
    SammiG01 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Hey Rick.....good morning. Was your intention to set this up as an actual group? Maybe there wold be more interaction that way?
  • PowerFwd
    PowerFwd Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I am 58 and I joined MFP and started logging a little over a year ago. I started around 278 and severely obese for my height of 5'7". After a year, I am down over 80 pounds and I started weight lifting with a trainer. i am also starting a c25k program and hope to run ALL of a 5k in the fall. After a week, I realize that I am NO runner, but I am still trying.
  • Djproulx
    Options
    PowerFwd wrote: »
    Count me in. I am 58 and I joined MFP and started logging a little over a year ago. I started around 278 and severely obese for my height of 5'7". After a year, I am down over 80 pounds and I started weight lifting with a trainer. i am also starting a c25k program and hope to run ALL of a 5k in the fall. After a week, I realize that I am NO runner, but I am still trying.

Congrats on the 80 lb loss!! Nicely done. Regarding the run training, good to see you're following a program. It can be tough at first, but your endurance will improve in a fairly short time. Patience is your biggest asset.
    And no worries, if you follow the plan, you will be more than ready to run a 5k in the fall. Good luck!
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    How everyone today. I hope well and fit.

Ambition and or motivation have nothing to do with performance. Had neither today and just killed a chest and triceps workout.

75 minutes, 392 calories burned
    4 sets dumbbell press 6 to 8 reps PB
    4 sets of Incline press 8 to 10 reps PB
    3 sets of flyes 12 to 15 reps PB
    1 set pushups AMAP
    3 sets of diamond pushups 6 to 8 reps PB
    3 sets of TRX tri extensions 8 to 10 reps PB
    3 sets of overhead extensions 12 to 15 reps PB
    1 set crossed cable tri ext AMAP

We are more than we think we are, always
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    PowerFwd wrote: »

@PowerFwd congrats on your success thus far. I too am no runner but was able to complete a 5k in November. It took me almost 3 months to reach that goal.
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    tuckerrj wrote: »
    I've been active most of my life. But like so many here, I've never been anywhere near a normal BMI. At 5'9" and 235 lbs. it's a struggle to maintain, much less lose weight. But I compete in the Senior Olympics (weightlifting), ran a 1/2 marathon, completed multiple sprint triathlons (in training), and do some form of exercise everyday. "Friend" me if you'd like to interact. . .

@tuckerrj struggle or not with weight, you seems to be very healthy and fit.
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    If you are interested, I have added a link to a support group that I started back In August. You are all welcome to join or just chat here. A lot of nice people there looking for and giving help to one another.
    http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/115412-mature-adults-support-motivation-and-sharing-55
  • Djproulx
    Options
    Rick_1953 wrote: »
    How everyone today. I hope well and fit.

Ambition and or motivation have nothing to do with performance. Had neither today and just killed a chest and triceps workout.

75 minutes, 392 calories burned
    4 sets dumbbell press 6 to 8 reps PB
    4 sets of Incline press 8 to 10 reps PB
    3 sets of flyes 12 to 15 reps PB
    1 set pushups AMAP
    3 sets of diamond pushups 6 to 8 reps PB
    3 sets of TRX tri extensions 8 to 10 reps PB
    3 sets of overhead extensions 12 to 15 reps PB
    1 set crossed cable tri ext AMAP

We are more than we think we are, always

Nice. Made me think of the note my coach put in my training plan for our long run this Saturday. It said:

Remember...
    "Effort is like toothpaste...You can always squeeze out just a little bit more!"
  • avalonblues
    avalonblues Posts: 558 Member
    Options
    Count me in. I turn 55 very soon. I peaked at 232# in late 2010 and, embarrassed, joined a gym. Well, actually, I joined a gym again only this time I started going. By mid 2011 I was down to 196#, close to my 190# goal (I am 6'1"). I maintained in the 200-205 range for a while but in 2015, my weight started creeping up -- to 219#.

In 2016 I started Crossfit. I saw great improvement into the summer, including a personal best 5K in June, but the combination of a minor injury (I recovered), a temporary job situation and the holidays saw me quit Crossfit. My gains were lost and my weight increase to 222#. I reconnected with Crossfit in late Dec. as life returned to (what counts here as) normal and after readjusting my diet, things are now heading the right direction.

There are already many encouraging stories in this thread. Good luck to you all on this journey.
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    Count me in. I turn 55 very soon. I peaked at 232# in late 2010 and, embarrassed, joined a gym. Well, actually, I joined a gym again only this time I started going. By mid 2011 I was down to 196#, close to my 190# goal (I am 6'1"). I maintained in the 200-205 range for a while but in 2015, my weight started creeping up -- to 219#.

In 2016 I started Crossfit. I saw great improvement into the summer, including a personal best 5K in June, but the combination of a minor injury (I recovered), a temporary job situation and the holidays saw me quit Crossfit. My gains were lost and my weight increase to 222#. I reconnected with Crossfit in late Dec. as life returned to (what counts here as) normal and after readjusting my diet, things are now heading the right direction.

There are already many encouraging stories in this thread. Good luck to you all on this journey.

Hi @avalonblues welcome to the chat.
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    Just finished a really good workout. 95 minutes of back, biceps and shoulders.

My goal now is to increase muscle. After losing the weight last year, it is weird to eat more this year. But that's the only way to accomplish my goals
  • jeanne460
    jeanne460 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I am 60 and would like to join your group. I have lost and gained more times than I care to think about. My goal is to see my grandkids grow up and start having kids of their own. I also need to strengthen my legs to take pressure off the knees. Any support would be appreciated and I will certainly return the favor!
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I joined WW (again) four years ago at age 65 and 376#. I lost 100# and kept it off. 2016 joined an on line challenge to lose 52poundsin52weeks lost 37#

2017 found same type challenge here on MFP, I have lost 9.4# since January for a total of -154# over four years.
    SW 376
    CW 221.8
    GW 186?

My exercise started with water aerobics 4X a week, then I added swimming 1/4 mile in laps before class. Now I swim 1/2 mile laps before class, still do water aerobics 4 or 5X a week, and try to get 10K steps on my Fitbit.

I plan to start playing pickle ball again, I quit after falling and breaking my wrist in 2014.

2015 I had rotator cuff surgery, last year had minor arthroscopic knee surgery.

I belong to an on line WW support Group, GoaDs (Guys on a Diet) We moved to MFP last year when WW shut down their Community BBs. Check it out, GoaDs includes both male/female "guys".

Always glad to meet others going through the struggle. This is the first time I have actually changed my Lifestyle and not just dieted to lose weight.

• rgparrish4
    rgparrish4 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Please add me I'm a senior struggling to lose weight. Does any one know how to add the percentages to the daily diary?
  • tjb1953
    tjb1953 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    At 64 I think I fit in this group of you'll have me. I started this year quitting smoking. A 47 year habit and proud to say I've not smoked once since. Now it's time to work on my goals of diet and exercise.
    TB