55 plus hangout

Options
13»

Replies

• rcan64
    rcan64 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I know this is for 55 and over, but at 53 can I join this group?
  • moxie1962
    moxie1962 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    54 here. I need friends and always looking for new ideas and motivation.
  • Rick_1953
    Rick_1953 Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    jeanne460 wrote: »
    I am 60 and would like to join your group. I have lost and gained more times than I care to think about. My goal is to see my grandkids grow up and start having kids of their own. I also need to strengthen my legs to take pressure off the knees. Any support would be appreciated and I will certainly return the favor!

@jeanne460 Hi and welcome. Losing and gaining tells me one thing. You are dieting and exercising only to lose weight. Once you reach your goals you stop all the healthy choices. Permanent health requires a lifestyle change. You can maintain a weight loss just by eating smart and staying active.
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    Jimb376mfp wrote: »
    I joined WW (again) four years ago at age 65 and 376#. I lost 100# and kept it off. 2016 joined an on line challenge to lose 52poundsin52weeks lost 37#

2017 found same type challenge here on MFP, I have lost 9.4# since January for a total of -154# over four years.
    SW 376
    CW 221.8
    GW 186?

My exercise started with water aerobics 4X a week, then I added swimming 1/4 mile in laps before class. Now I swim 1/2 mile laps before class, still do water aerobics 4 or 5X a week, and try to get 10K steps on my Fitbit.

I plan to start playing pickle ball again, I quit after falling and breaking my wrist in 2014.

2015 I had rotator cuff surgery, last year had minor arthroscopic knee surgery.

I belong to an on line WW support Group, GoaDs (Guys on a Diet) We moved to MFP last year when WW shut down their Community BBs. Check it out, GoaDs includes both male/female "guys".

Always glad to meet others going through the struggle. This is the first time I have actually changed my Lifestyle and not just dieted to lose weight.

@Jimb376mfp nice to hear from you. Thanks for sharing your story and welcome to the chat
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    rgparrish4 wrote: »
    Please add me I'm a senior struggling to lose weight. Does any one know how to add the percentages to the daily diary?

@rgparrish4 Hi and welcome. Not sure if this is what you mean but in nutrition you should be able to adjust percentages
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    tjb1953 wrote: »
    At 64 I think I fit in this group of you'll have me. I started this year quitting smoking. A 47 year habit and proud to say I've not smoked once since. Now it's time to work on my goals of diet and exercise.
    TB

Welcome @tjb1953 congratulations on quitting smoking. Wish you must success on a achieveing your goals
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    rcan64 wrote: »
    I know this is for 55 and over, but at 53 can I join this group?

Sure can join @rcanada2016 . Welcome
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    moxie1962 wrote: »
    54 here. I need friends and always looking for new ideas and motivation.

Hi and welcome @moxie1962 . Here for all the support you need
  • rdonovan219
    rdonovan219 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    Sign me up coach!!! :smile: I have been working on health for last few years and now that diet has changed for the better I'm working on becoming lean. Have lost about 19lbs since last August and am much more active. Taking Krav Maga classes and those are great workouts and learning to be safe at the same time. My name is Rachel and I'm 63.
  • jerseygene
    jerseygene Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    Hi, Rick, Hope all is well with you my friend. I am only a young 48 but fort I wold shares my story I started my journey at around 21/7 stones and I have now lost 106 pounds it's been a bumpy ride at times with me nearly giving up more than once but I dug down deep and found the willpower to carry on. Having friends all doing the same on mfp has been such a big help but you need friends that give back not just friends that don't participate. I think for me consistency has been the key factor for my success getting rid of unnecessary calories out of my diet like liquid calories and snacks. I found food prep to be really helpful and something I am still doing and drinking lots of water every day it's not a myth drink lots of water. It takes a lifetime to get to the point where you go no more i am going to lose this weight so don't expect to lose it in a week or a month it's going to be a long journey but do it properly and on the way you will learn so much about how to regulate your diet for the rest of your life because that's what this is the rest of your life.

This journey is so worth it just stick with it and it will pay off just give it time.jbnw424uq7qq.jpg
    mhib1p1k7esi.png
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    jerseygene wrote: »
    Hi, Rick, Hope all is well with you my friend. I am only a young 48 but fort I wold shares my story I started my journey at around 21/7 stones and I have now lost 106 pounds it's been a bumpy ride at times with me nearly giving up more than once but I dug down deep and found the willpower to carry on. Having friends all doing the same on mfp has been such a big help but you need friends that give back not just friends that don't participate. I think for me consistency has been the key factor for my success getting rid of unnecessary calories out of my diet like liquid calories and snacks. I found food prep to be really helpful and something I am still doing and drinking lots of water every day it's not a myth drink lots of water. It takes a lifetime to get to the point where you go no more i am going to lose this weight so don't expect to lose it in a week or a month it's going to be a long journey but do it properly and on the way you will learn so much about how to regulate your diet for the rest of your life because that's what this is the rest of your life.

This journey is so worth it just stick with it and it will pay off just give it time.jbnw424uq7qq.jpg
    mhib1p1k7esi.png

@jerseygene , Hi Gene and thanks for sharing your own story. I never saw a before picture of you. Amazing accomplishments friend, really
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    Sign me up coach!!! :smile: I have been working on health for last few years and now that diet has changed for the better I'm working on becoming lean. Have lost about 19lbs since last August and am much more active. Taking Krav Maga classes and those are great workouts and learning to be safe at the same time. My name is Rachel and I'm 63.

Hi @rdonovan219 . Rachel congratulations on your weight loss. I am sure you will accomplish your goals
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    I just finished a solid 80 minutes workout on chest and triceps. Your never to old to get in shape and strong again.
  • oldyogi66
    oldyogi66 Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Found MFP about a month ago. Always interested in committed and active friends. It's great to see so many boomers working to get healthy and fit.
  • kamamakai
    kamamakai Posts: 30 Member
    Options
    Hi ~ Just getting the hang of MFP and all the benefits it offers. In particular, finding the support of others in similar situations. :smile: Going up and down for most of my 58 years, I'm now determined to be an inspiration to my college-age son, whom I'm afraid has learned his poor eating habits from me. Hope it's not too late to change for both of us. So far I'm down 113 lbs since May .... about 50 to go to reach my high school weight (why not shoot for the stars?) Would love to join your group. Thanks!
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    oldyogi66 wrote: »
    Found MFP about a month ago. Always interested in committed and active friends. It's great to see so many boomers working to get healthy and fit.

Hi @oldyogi66 . It is great to see so many older people who want to stay active. Welcome to the chat
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    kamamakai wrote: »
    Hi ~ Just getting the hang of MFP and all the benefits it offers. In particular, finding the support of others in similar situations. :smile: Going up and down for most of my 58 years, I'm now determined to be an inspiration to my college-age son, whom I'm afraid has learned his poor eating habits from me. Hope it's not too late to change for both of us. So far I'm down 113 lbs since May .... about 50 to go to reach my high school weight (why not shoot for the stars?) Would love to join your group. Thanks!

Hi @kamamakai . Congratulations on your amazing weight loss thus far. Welcome to the chat.
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    Hi friends, just killed a back, biceps and shoulders workout. 98 minutes, 517 calories burned.

Seeing results is nice from all this heavy lifting
  • Rick_1953
    Options
    If only the reps that hurt do the most good, than make every rep hurt.

70 minutes tonight, chest and triceps.

Feeling good