Stuck at same weight - would low carb help?

Hello I'm 160cm and stuck at 59.7kg for months. I have successfully dropped to 57kg by following a very strict diet and I'm looking for something I can maintain with a steady loss. I think carbs probably hold the key. What is the lowest carb you would recommend for steady but sustainable weight loss? (I also run and do yoga) Thank you!

Replies

• callsitlikeiseeit
    callsitlikeiseeit Posts: 8,627 Member
    if you have not lost weight in 4 weeks or longer, you are eating at maintenance and need to reduce your calories, or increase your exercise.

weigh ALL your food ON A SCALE
  • spiriteagle99
    spiriteagle99 Posts: 3,673 Member
    If you are a runner, you need carbs to fuel your runs.

If you aren't losing, it's because you are eating more than you think or burning fewer calories than you think. Maybe stop eating back your exercise calories for a while. How careful are you in weighing and measuring what you are eating? It is easy after several months to get lax about that.

Also, if you are close to goal weight, it can get harder to lose.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Low carb is not the answer- increasing your deficit is what you need- so either drop your calories a bit or increase your exercise and activity. Low carb might give you weight loss on the scale initially but it will just be water weight- carbs cause a certain amount of water retention so when you decrease them you lose a little water weight but if your calories are the same there won't be actual fat loss.
  • courtneyfabulous
    courtneyfabulous Posts: 1,863 Member
    Also you do not need to lose weight, you are at a healthy weight for your height. If you do not like your current physique how about trying body recomposition?
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    If you drop your carbs, you drop your calories. If you need to drop your calories to lose weight, then yes, it will be helpful. I find that if I want to increase deficit, carbs are what I drop first.
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    https://www.dietdoctor.com/

Try the two-week challenge and see. Most diet advice is nonsense anyway : ) The key is to eat a way that is sustainable and gets you to the weight you want.

Good luck!
  • wislawcat
    wislawcat Posts: 21 Member
    It is NOT always as simple as calories in calories out. From your picture, weight and height you are very fit. It may be that you are not eating enough calories, not the right kind of calories, or simply not eating them at the right times. Do you know where you are as to BMI? IF you are already below 25 then it might be body sculpting work out not weight loss that's needed. I was on a very strict diet 1000-1200 calories a day exercising cardio 3-5 times a week. My weight loss completely stalled even when I increased exercise and decreased calories. I went to a doctor and nutritionist who both said calories in calories out. I finally went to a major academic medical center and saw a metabolic based nutritionist. She looked at all my stats, including bone scan, blood work, exercises and my food diary (which was already very healthy) and revamped my program as follows. ADDED weights 2-3xs per week and mixed up cardio which is five days per week to include three different (run swim elliptical) types per week instead of just swimming, INCREASED calories to 1400 on exercise days from 1200 on non exercise days. Carbs 40% of total Cals, fat25% of total cals. And protein 35% of calories (this was a huge increase) AND at least 25 grams of the protein must be consumed within 30 minutes of exercise. I take paleo protein powder to the gym and drink 1 scoop with 12 oz water before I even shower. It has 26g per 120 calories no fat, cholesterol or anything else but protein. She also recommends doing exercise in morning as best. She also increased my water to at least 80ounces per day starting with HOT water in the morning mixed with either 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (I use Braggs unfiltered) or fresh lemon juice. I began losing weight again within the first week of this program. The key here, however, is you need a metabolically balanced diet for YOUR BODY. You may need more protein less carbs or different exercise.
  • torsaer
    torsaer Posts: 211 Member
    Oh thank you so much for all your replies so far! I think that I have got a bit complacent about weighing everything and am probably eating far more than I think I am. I would like to try the two week challenge and see what happens - eating 'real' food is the way to go after all.
  • JessicaMcB
    JessicaMcB Posts: 1,503 Member
    If you are a runner, you need carbs to fuel your runs.

Just wanted to point out that this is not necessarily accurate. I'm a ketogenic distance runner, you do not need carbs to "fuel your runs". Plenty of solid keto runners out there.

OP if you're just looking to expedite your losses by manipulating macros/water weight only in the short term you aren't helping yourself as any water weight lost would be regained the second you resumed a "normal" diet. If you were interested in low carb lifestyles long term my advice would be different but it kind of sounds like you just want the quickest road to Rome.

Measure your intake with a food scale if you aren't already and reduce intake accordingly and you'll lose.
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    How much more weight are you trying to lose? Since your stats have you in a healthy weight range for your height, losing those last few pounds is going to be a very slow process.

At this point, logging accuracy becomes very, very important. So use your food scale to weigh everything and really tighten up your logging.
  • bbell1985
    There's a lot of no in that big post above, BUT for lean people who are eating low calorie and doing tons of cardio, there IS something to be said for raising calories, reducing cardio, and beginning weight training...both for body composition, hormone levels, etc.
  • wislawcat
    What do you think are the "nos" ?
  • bbell1985
    when to exercise, exact macro break downs, apple cider vinegar, when and how often to eat,
  • fatblatta
    fatblatta Posts: 333 Member
    torsaer wrote: »
    Oh thank you so much for all your replies so far! I think that I have got a bit complacent about weighing everything and am probably eating far more than I think I am. I would like to try the two week challenge and see what happens - eating 'real' food is the way to go after all.

Yes! Please don't think low carb equals only meat. I think this is a common misconception and a terrible practice. I eat plenty of healthy vegetables, fresh and cooked in healthy fats. Things like olive oil and real butter. I do not eat any refined or unrefined sugars. No breads, crackers or beer. I don't weigh food or count calories. No snacking. I try to eat when I am hungry and stop when I am full. I had to try hard to learn what hungry and full felt like because I was a snacking clock eater.

Good Luck!
  • wislawcat
    This type of approach is coming from cutting edge medical research at a world renowned academic medical center. As I said, however, this type of program must be geared specifically to each individual. I am not saying anyone should follow my program. I was just giving details to show how increased calories and other considerations msg work. The most recent scientific studies are focusing on individual genetics and metabolic reactions. If you are a scientist in these fields, I would be interested in your research. I don't think one should otherwise just write off the approach. In any event the proof is in the program --which has been successful for me.
  • sunfastrose
    sunfastrose Posts: 543 Member
    edited February 2017
    wislawcat wrote: »
    It is NOT always as simple as calories in calories out. From your picture, weight and height you are very fit. It may be that you are not eating enough calories, not the right kind of calories, or simply not eating them at the right times. Do you know where you are as to BMI? IF you are already below 25 then it might be body sculpting work out not weight loss that's needed. I was on a very strict diet 1000-1200 calories a day exercising cardio 3-5 times a week. My weight loss completely stalled even when I increased exercise and decreased calories. I went to a doctor and nutritionist who both said calories in calories out. I finally went to a major academic medical center and saw a metabolic based nutritionist. She looked at all my stats, including bone scan, blood work, exercises and my food diary (which was already very healthy) and revamped my program as follows. ADDED weights 2-3xs per week and mixed up cardio which is five days per week to include three different (run swim elliptical) types per week instead of just swimming, INCREASED calories to 1400 on exercise days from 1200 on non exercise days. Carbs 40% of total Cals, fat25% of total cals. And protein 35% of calories (this was a huge increase) AND at least 25 grams of the protein must be consumed within 30 minutes of exercise. I take paleo protein powder to the gym and drink 1 scoop with 12 oz water before I even shower. It has 26g per 120 calories no fat, cholesterol or anything else but protein. She also recommends doing exercise in morning as best. She also increased my water to at least 80ounces per day starting with HOT water in the morning mixed with either 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar (I use Braggs unfiltered) or fresh lemon juice. I began losing weight again within the first week of this program. The key here, however, is you need a metabolically balanced diet for YOUR BODY. You may need more protein less carbs or different exercise.

No. 100% no.

But you have to love the variety of woo that a single post brings. I really think you could hit MFP bingo with this one.
  • JaydedMiss
    JaydedMiss Posts: 4,286 Member
    edited February 2017

No. 100% no.

But you have to love the variety of woo that a single post brings. I really think you could hit MFP bingo with this one.

Funny how its always the people with very low post count saying this stuff. We all learn eventually with time on mfp forums XD
  • singingflutelady
    singingflutelady Posts: 8,736 Member
    This type of approach is coming from cutting edge medical research at a world renowned academic medical center. As I said, however, this type of program must be geared specifically to each individual. I am not saying anyone should follow my program. I was just giving details to show how increased calories and other considerations msg work. The most recent scientific studies are focusing on individual genetics and metabolic reactions. If you are a scientist in these fields, I would be interested in your research. I don't think one should otherwise just write off the approach. In any event the proof is in the program --which has been successful for me.

Which academic medical center recommends apple cider vinegar for weight loss? There are no peer research clinical studies that show this to be true.
  • bbell1985
    I actually don't think there was a ridiculous amount of woo in there. She just named a specific macro breakdown and exercise routine that worked for her.