OHP and Bench press alternates? Bursitis related

Options
Right shoulder, fairly severe this time around, and persistent. I can usually get it to ease up after a week or so, not this time.

Ideas on safe alternatives?

Thanks in advance folks

Replies

• singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Without knowing exactly what the trouble is, sometimes doing these exercises with dumbells and a neutral grip ie palms facing each other can take some stress off the shoulders.
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options
    Without knowing exactly what the trouble is, sometimes doing these exercises with dumbells and a neutral grip ie palms facing each other can take some stress off the shoulders.

I'll give that a try, thanks man. This has been diagnosed by the way. Been with me for a while, but I haven't strength trained for decades. I'm wondering if that's what's setting it off. Anyway, thanks for the suggestion. :)
  • singletrackmtbr
    singletrackmtbr Posts: 644 Member
    Options
    Might be related to all the shoveling?

Anyway I did a quick Google search and found this. It might be useful for you:

https://flexcin.com/exercises-for-shoulder-bursitis-impingement-relief/
  • Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Can't really give alternative exercises as much as advice.

I deal with a joint disease that pretty much gives the same problem just to my entire body, tendons, joints, organs etc...I've figured my body out on my own, but it took several years.

In your sitution the best thing you can do in this situation is to go to a sports therapist. They will give you the best way to heal.

You might also want to consult a trainer/coach on how to lift with better form and more likely less volume. This will take alot of stress off the joints and the tendons. If your tendons are flared, you really shouldn't do anything but low intensity exercises. Let the blood flow to the tendons as they take a very long time to heal because of being to corse and stranded.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I have pain pressing overhead from the front rack position with a barbell. This affects all Olympic lifts and accessories. In addition, any barbell row will cause the same pain in the front delts, forearms, and biceps.

As recommended above, pressing with dumbbells maintaining neutral position in the wrists allows one to press overhead without most pain.

However, dumbbells may not allow you overload, and shoulder stability with heavy dumbbells overhead is damn near impossible or not safe for some.

For me, I do the good old behind-the-neck military barbell Press. I'm able to press overhead without pain, and build mass and strength. There's a giant ick factor with this movement that it is not safe, but preformed correctly, like any other exercises, you can reap gains.

• Cherimoose
    Cherimoose Posts: 5,210 Member
    Options
    I'd see a sports doctor or physical therapist. If that's not possible try:

- Dumbbell bench press on the floor, to prevent your elbows from going too far back (which could hurt the shoulder). Turn palms in like you're holding a steering wheel at "10 and 2".

- Dumbbell shoulder press, not letting your elbows rise above your shoulders. Do allow elbows to come all the way down. :+1:
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Might be related to all the shoveling?

Anyway I did a quick Google search and found this. It might be useful for you:

https://flexcin.com/exercises-for-shoulder-bursitis-impingement-relief/
    Oh I'm sure the shoveling hasn't helped lol. Heck of a trade off - calories burned for burning pain :D
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Chieflrg wrote: »
    Can't really give alternative exercises as much as advice.

I deal with a joint disease that pretty much gives the same problem just to my entire body, tendons, joints, organs etc...I've figured my body out on my own, but it took several years.

In your sitution the best thing you can do in this situation is to go to a sports therapist. They will give you the best way to heal.

You might also want to consult a trainer/coach on how to lift with better form and more likely less volume. This will take alot of stress off the joints and the tendons. If your tendons are flared, you really shouldn't do anything but low intensity exercises. Let the blood flow to the tendons as they take a very long time to heal because of being to corse and stranded.

That's solid advice, thanks. I've lived with this off and on for so long I tend to forget the easiest answers. That, and the last doc I saw was stuck on cortisone shots. Nothing wrong with that, but I don't think they were intended to be a monthly type shot.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    I have pain pressing overhead from the front rack position with a barbell. This affects all Olympic lifts and accessories. In addition, any barbell row will cause the same pain in the front delts, forearms, and biceps.

As recommended above, pressing with dumbbells maintaining neutral position in the wrists allows one to press overhead without most pain.

However, dumbbells may not allow you overload, and shoulder stability with heavy dumbbells overhead is damn near impossible or not safe for some.

For me, I do the good old behind-the-neck military barbell Press. I'm able to press overhead without pain, and build mass and strength. There's a giant ick factor with this movement that it is not safe, but preformed correctly, like any other exercises, you can reap gains.

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try the dumbbells tomorrow, but I can't do the behind the neck press, I tried not long ago after seeing videos for and against them, but I just don't have the mobility to do it properly anyway. Appreciate the input :)
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Cherimoose wrote: »
    I'd see a sports doctor or physical therapist. If that's not possible try:

- Dumbbell bench press on the floor, to prevent your elbows from going too far back (which could hurt the shoulder). Turn palms in like you're holding a steering wheel at "10 and 2".

- Dumbbell shoulder press, not letting your elbows rise above your shoulders. Do allow elbows to come all the way down. :+1:
    Thank you - yep, breaking the dumbbells back out for tomorrows workout to give those a try. If shoveling snow tonight and tomorrow morning doesn't wreck me first lol.

Sidenote: I found this guy on youtube and the exercises he's showing actually give pretty quick relief.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2C9auc2Nnog
  • jenring3
    jenring3 Posts: 44 Member
    Options
    I'm a trainer and have also worked in senior fitness - while shoulder issues aren't exclusively a senior problem, a lot of seniors have shoulder limitations. Confirming the advice about the dumbbells and neutral grip. Also try the DB bench press on an incline bench. Don't forget the front and lateral raises for shoulder work too. Also consider body weight exercises with a suspension trainer (like a TRX). Another shoulder friendly version of an overhead press I like to use is a landmine press. This can also be done with a straight bar anchored in a corner.
  • Azdak
    Azdak Posts: 8,281 Member
    Options
    jenring3 wrote: »
    I'm a trainer and have also worked in senior fitness - while shoulder issues aren't exclusively a senior problem, a lot of seniors have shoulder limitations. Confirming the advice about the dumbbells and neutral grip. Also try the DB bench press on an incline bench. Don't forget the front and lateral raises for shoulder work too. Also consider body weight exercises with a suspension trainer (like a TRX). Another shoulder friendly version of an overhead press I like to use is a landmine press. This can also be done with a straight bar anchored in a corner.

Second the landmine. Keep the elbow out about 30 deg or so from the torso and keep the bar in front of the torso when lowering (i.e. Don't bend the elbow much past 90 degrees).

I would also look at some videos by Jeff Cavilere concerning shoulder exercises. He has some variations on lateral raises to help minimize compression.
  • GottaBurnEmAll
    GottaBurnEmAll Posts: 7,722 Member
    Options

This is what I do with my slightly dodgy shoulder (psoriatic arthritis pain). It helps a lot.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try the dumbbells tomorrow, but I can't do the behind the neck press, I tried not long ago after seeing videos for and against them, but I just don't have the mobility to do it properly anyway. Appreciate the input :)

Mobility is a cruel master.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    I...have never been called or thought of myself as a senior. Time to start getting gray hair discounts! :D

I'll add that landmine press to tomorrows workout for a test run. I admit that's a new one on me, but if it works, it works. Thank you @jenring3 :)
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Azdak wrote: »

Second the landmine. Keep the elbow out about 30 deg or so from the torso and keep the bar in front of the torso when lowering (i.e. Don't bend the elbow much past 90 degrees).

I would also look at some videos by Jeff Cavilere concerning shoulder exercises. He has some variations on lateral raises to help minimize compression.
    I like Jeff C. His videos are pretty much my go to these days after posting one here and seeing all the positive feedback.
  • Cylphin60
    Options

This is what I do with my slightly dodgy shoulder (psoriatic arthritis pain). It helps a lot.
    Good to know - I'm looking forward to them now :)
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »

Mobility is a cruel master.

Aye, it certainly is.
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    I'm going to try these out tomorrow, the first two anyway. I'm not sure how my shoulder will handle the pushups he's showing.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omTvjcic-Yg
  • Cylphin60
    Options
    I wanted to say thanks for the suggestions folks. The landmine presses are now a favorite. Palms facing each other didn't work out too well, but progress was made.

Cheers :)