Struggling with Running Scheduke

Options
2»

Replies

• ronocnikral
    ronocnikral Posts: 176 Member
    Options
    Yes, the slow runs are very slow. HR is around 170 on hard days, 140ish on slow days. I'm better conditioned in the very cold vs the very hot so my last long run came in around 8:45/mile but it was 18 degrees and HR was in the 140s for the most part. I'll add in some calories for a few weeks and see how that goes. I run this schedule for 3 weeks and then run 1/2 it on the 4th week as an active recovery week by the way.

I would expect "easy" days to be sub 130 bpm. You can train just 2 muscle types. Training them separately and then working on some "combing" days prior to an event has shown to be an effective training method. Training in "no man's land" while effective initially, eventually leads to plateauing, over training etc. Unless you've had some physiological testing done (blood lactate) to show you can train in the 140's on your "easy" days....

The best book I've read on the subject is "Training for the new alpinism" by Scott Johnston and steve house. While geared towards big days on big mountains, Scott has coached many world class XC skiers. A lot of it is based on the same training plans of Bob Bowman in charge of USA swimming. And Bowman gets his stuff from Jan Olbrecht, who had swimmers win gold in rio in the 100m and 10,000m. He also coach Luc Van Lierde in the 90's to his ironman wins.

Advice worth the price charged....

Please note that you can't give a stranger advice on what her average heart rate should be on easy days. Everyone is different and the age groupings are not accurate either. For example, my Zone 1 is 154 or less. I can't imagine staying at 130 or less. My easy run today was 144 and I sang or breathed easy the entire run.

Here is how you figure out your own individual LTHR and can then figure out your zones. Everyone is different and women typically have higher heart rates than men.

http://home.trainingpeaks.com/blog/article/joe-friel-s-quick-guide-to-setting-zones

I get that, but absent any actual testing (and I don't count that training peaks thing), what else do you have to hang your hat on?? I know what I do, but I get that most people don't want to get blood lactate testing done every 6-8 weeks plus monitor muscle oxygenation. But, there is very little evidence that exercising right up to your LTHR has any benefits. In fact, many coaches argue that taking time, energy and money into finding that "magic" number doesn't make sense since you can train well below and well above and have the same, if not better training effects.

We can go round and round, but since I can too "sing and breath easy" well into the mid 140's, I still do my "Easy" runs sub 130. So, it may or may not apply, but I also threw out that the "advice was worth the price charged."

Good luck.