Ask a vegan

Options

Replies

• UltraVegRunnerBabe
    UltraVegRunnerBabe Posts: 163 Member
    Options
    Do Vegans not like animals that eat other animals? So are lions bad or evil?

We were watching that Planet Earth documentary last week in my science class, and as bad as I felt watching an artic fox kill four ducklings, I was really fascinated and actually said "aww" when the fox gave the duckling(s) to her babies.
    Lions are one of my favorite animals. I love them more than dogs. If you watch documentaries on lions, you'll understand that a lion won't kill an animal if it's not hungry. Lions need meat to survive, just like cats. I would feed my cat a carnivorous diet, because it can't live on plant sources and be healthy, but humans thrive on plants! We don't need meat. We don't look at a horse and think "yummy", and we are the only animals that shop for our food, cook our food, and eat even when we aren't hungry. Hamburgers don't look like cows, so that's why we don't feel bad eating them. Then there are the people that think animals were put on this planet to feed us, and I don't even go there
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options

Remember that extreme or outrageous things done by PETA trying to prevent suffering, unethical treatment, exploitation, etc. of animals, are done out of empathy and compassion.

No, it's not. They are the biggest hypocrites. And I hate them.

Wait wait wait wait. Wait. Hypocrites? Serious question: how are they hypocrites? I honestly don't know, so please tell me. I'm not a fan of them, either, because they scare people away and have a bad reputation, but they are iron-willed and i respect that.
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options
    What's the biggest book you've ever pretended to read?

Cook books. I either can't read them right, accidentally look at the wrong recipe while cooking, mix up measurements, or the recipes suck...so I pretend to read them.
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options
    Motorsheen wrote: »
    I too have decided to become Vegan.

.... up until lunchtime

That is a step in the right direction!
  • mariellizardi
    mariellizardi Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Tofu is pretty awesome :D
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options

.... up until lunchtime

thanks.

I know that a plant based diet is healthy, however

If eating carnitas tacos takes three weeks off of life on the tail end, so be it.

.....just look at it as my contribution towards saving Social Security
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options

.... up until lunchtime

thanks.

I know that a plant based diet is healthy, however

If eating carnitas tacos takes three weeks off of life on the tail end, so be it.

.....just look at it as my contribution towards saving Social Security

Aw that's kind of sad. I wanna give you hug! Be more positive! It's Valentine's Day!
  • UltimateTrashBae
    UltimateTrashBae Posts: 175 Member
    Options

Remember that extreme or outrageous things done by PETA trying to prevent suffering, unethical treatment, exploitation, etc. of animals, are done out of empathy and compassion.

Wait wait wait wait. Wait. Hypocrites? Serious question: how are they hypocrites? I honestly don't know, so please tell me. I'm not a fan of them, either, because they scare people away and have a bad reputation, but they are iron-willed and i respect that.

In 2014, the group euthanized 2,454 of its 3,369 cats, dogs and other animals, the vast majority of which were “owner surrenders,” meaning that they’d been relinquished to the group voluntarily. Just 23 dogs and 16 cats were adopted. In 2015, they received 1,974 animals and euthanized 73.76% of them. So, cows and pigs are worth getting naked for but actually making the effort to adopt out dogs and cats is just too much. This isn't a new phenomenon either, the numbers go back to 1999.
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    If I eat an animal that eats plants, am I considered vegan. What if it still had plant food in its mouth when I cooked it?
  • LiftingRiot
    LiftingRiot Posts: 6,946 Member
    Options
    Do I automatically become a crossfitter if I go vegan?

I thought crossfitters were paleo?

I don't think Paleo is for crossfitters though. They expend a ton of energy and benefit from a high carb diet. Paleo doesn't have any grains or pastas.
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options

In 2014, the group euthanized 2,454 of its 3,369 cats, dogs and other animals, the vast majority of which were “owner surrenders,” meaning that they’d been relinquished to the group voluntarily. Just 23 dogs and 16 cats were adopted. In 2015, they received 1,974 animals and euthanized 73.76% of them. So, cows and pigs are worth getting naked for but actually making the effort to adopt out dogs and cats is just too much. This isn't a new phenomenon either, the numbers go back to 1999.

Eek, I did not know that! Thank you for bringing this up.
  • UltraVegRunnerBabe
    Options
    If I eat an animal that eats plants, am I considered vegan. What if it still had plant food in its mouth when I cooked it?

...no
  • Tweaking_Time
    Tweaking_Time Posts: 733 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    My question is this: Why vegan (or vegetarian)?

I do not understand why people choose to be vegetarian or vegan.

I can share my reason; the knowledge of an animal suffering and being slaughtered and my participation or contribution by way of eating the animal or using the skin for a belt or shoes deeply, deeply hurts both emotionally and consciously. I would rather die than eat another creatures body. I also feel strongly that I should never push this point of view on others, but I'm always willing to share my philosophy of compassion for life.

That is what I thought would be explained...thnx for taking the time to do so. Still not for me though. Cheers!
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    Do I automatically become a crossfitter if I go vegan?

I thought crossfitters were paleo?

I don't think Paleo is for crossfitters though. They expend a ton of energy and benefit from a high carb diet. Paleo doesn't have any grains or pastas.

trust me on this one....

crossfit and paleo carpool together
  • riceflourde
    riceflourde Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    Do you have advice for someone who wants to stay away from grains and soy? IT seems like most vegan diet plans have tons of grains and soy. I know it's possible but I have little meal planning creativity. I would love to be vegan or plant based most of the time. I'm not willing to give up my wool scarves though. :)
  • RachelElser
    RachelElser Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    My question is this: Why vegan (or vegetarian)?

I do not understand why people choose to be vegetarian or vegan.

I can share my reason; the knowledge of an animal suffering and being slaughtered and my participation or contribution by way of eating the animal or using the skin for a belt or shoes deeply, deeply hurts both emotionally and consciously. I would rather die than eat another creatures body. I also feel strongly that I should never push this point of view on others, but I'm always willing to share my philosophy of compassion for life.

Okay, I get that. And that's a good life theory in general- not to make others suffer. But then how are you okay with the human suffering that occurs on farms? Migrant workers work long hours, live in sub-sub-sub standard housing, often are forced to drop out of school because their families move around depending on what is in season to pick, and are paid far less than minimum wage.

And no, not all farmers treat their workers like crap, but many do. Farming is exempt from many labor laws (children as young as 8 can work on a farm) so if the owner doesn't want o be decent, he doesn't have to be decent.
  • Hornsby
    Hornsby Posts: 10,322 Member
    Options
    As a vegan, when you want to dress up, how do you get by without leather shoes?
  • omakase619
    omakase619 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    Does a vegan diet make your poops smaller?