New to Ketogenic Diet! Please share your tips, advices and experiences with me!

anacrisg
anacrisg Posts: 39 Member
Hello everyone! // Bonjour à tous! // Hola a todos!

This is my first day doing the ketogenic diet. I'm very scared and anxious to see results! :)
I think it's going to be hard because I really really love carbs and I've been reading labels lately and can't believe how much sugar is in the food I eat! :s
I'm 30, I work out at least 4 times/week doing HIIT and I would love to lose 9 lbs of fat :#
I'm also starting it in that time of the month when women have all those sweet cravings! :p So...
Wish me luck!! // Souhaite moi bonne chance !! // Deséenme suerte!!

Replies

• anacrisg
    Thank you for the tip @LiftingRiot ! Yeah, I actually read that even Diet Coke can rise your insulin levels ! I'll try to be strong and careful! :#
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    4 years for me. I strongly suggest you join this group, you'll never look back. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group
  • anacrisg
    Wow!! Thank you sooo much @Zengrizzly !! The info you're sharing is great!! And thanks for your support, I'll be here too :) Yeah, I heard about the flu haha it's going to be interesting, I won't cheat! I promise!!

@EbonyDahlia 4 years of awesomeness! Congrats!! I will join the group, thanks a lot!!
  • lchinda
    lchinda Posts: 1 Member
    Im new too! I need some help with recipes and all
  • anacrisg
    lchinda wrote: »

Awesome!!! I've been eating eggs and bacon, roasted chicken, spinach salad with avocado and olive oil... Everything is so delicious! But I felt weird last night, I think I have to take more sodium, iron and potassium... Right now I'm drinking beef broth! LOL!

Day 2 for me, so far so good! Good luck!!!!
  • Zengrizzly
    Zengrizzly Posts: 76 Member

I'll help in any way I can. I'm pretty good at mimicking comfort food . . . depending. lol
  • Zengrizzly
    Zengrizzly Posts: 76 Member
    anacrisg wrote: »

Awesome!!! I've been eating eggs and bacon, roasted chicken, spinach salad with avocado and olive oil... Everything is so delicious! But I felt weird last night, I think I have to take more sodium, iron and potassium... Right now I'm drinking beef broth! LOL!

That's all perfect! Make sure you're taking a multivitamin and yes, increase water and salt.
  • anacrisg
    Zengrizzly wrote: »

That's all perfect! Make sure you're taking a multivitamin and yes, increase water and salt.

LOL! Yeah, I prepared a "beef broth tea" and I'm taking magnesium + calcium + vitamin d ! Thanks!
  • roz_of_2_boys
    roz_of_2_boys Posts: 14 Member
    I'm getting started on this tomorrow. How has everyone done so far this week? I'd love to hear how everyone feels one week in.
  • anacrisg
    I'm getting started on this tomorrow. How has everyone done so far this week? I'd love to hear how everyone feels one week in.

Hello!! I completed my first week ever today! I set my calorie goal around 1,400, but almost everyday I went over 300 cals. I didn't go to the gym the whole week but I kept myself a little active. I felt weird the first days, low in energy but my IBS problems disappeared!! My digestion is great. Today I woke up full of energy! The changes in my body have been amazing, especially around my belly! I've lost 2 kgs so far! I love keto!!!!
  • xProfLupin
    xProfLupin Posts: 35 Member
    Also wanted to mention that diet drinks can be had but it all depends on the person. I don't crave sweets when I drink it but it makes my other friend crave candy like crazy. This also goes towards any type of sugar free stuff.

I forgot the last thing.. At Kroger, they have low carb yogurt called Carbmaster. It's 5g carbs (0 fiber, 5 sugar) and it's pretty tasty for low carb yogurt. It might be a good dessert if you need something :)
  • ElyseLyn
    ElyseLyn Posts: 1 Member
    How do you all track your carbs? I'm new to this. Just log it on fitness pal? Do you guys recommend the keto strips? What happens when you have a off day and slip? Hard to get back
    Into it?
  • anacrisg
    How do you all track your carbs?
    You log everything you eat on MFP, of course you have to read the labels of everything. The fiber doesn't count for you, so for example if a label says " Carbohydrates: 10 grams" and then you read "Fiber: 3 grams" "Sugars: 7 grams", your total carbs for that are 7 grams. BUT some labels say something like "Total Carbs: 10 from which Fiber: 2 g and Sugars 2 g" Your total carbs are 10 - 2 (the fiber) = 8 grams.
    To be in ketosis people recommend to consume less than 50g of total carbs (no fiber) during the day. I try to do under 20 grams, some people do 30... It really depends on your body.

Do you guys recommend the keto strips?

Yes I do, It's a good way to check if your body is getting energy from ketones, the urine sticks are not as accurate but you can get an idea if you are in deep ketosis, nutritional ketosis or not in ketosis at all. You have to do it often to have a better idea, it depends if you drink a lot of water or if you're dehydrated too...

What happens when you have a off day and slip?

Some people do cyclical ketosis which works out for them, but to get the real benefits of ketosis you have to make it a lifestyle. If you slip... Eat chips or cakes or a lot of fruit, your body will take the carbs as a primary source of energy again and you'll have to go to the process of "re-configuring" your body again. It usually takes 4 to 6 weeks.
    Again, everybody's body is different so it could take more time or less time...
  • BedsideTableKangaroo
    BedsideTableKangaroo Posts: 736 Member
    How do you all track your carbs?
    You log everything you eat on MFP, of course you have to read the labels of everything. The fiber doesn't count for you, so for example if a label says " Carbohydrates: 10 grams" and then you read "Fiber: 3 grams" "Sugars: 7 grams", your total carbs for that are 7 grams. BUT some labels say something like "Total Carbs: 10 from which Fiber: 2 g and Sugars 2 g" Your total carbs are 10 - 2 (the fiber) = 8 grams.
    To be in ketosis people recommend to consume less than 50g of total carbs (no fiber) during the day. I try to do under 20 grams, some people do 30... It really depends on your body.

Do you guys recommend the keto strips?

Yes I do, It's a good way to check if your body is getting energy from ketones, the urine sticks are not as accurate but you can get an idea if you are in deep ketosis, nutritional ketosis or not in ketosis at all. You have to do it often to have a better idea, it depends if you drink a lot of water or if you're dehydrated too...

What happens when you have a off day and slip?

Some people do cyclical ketosis which works out for them, but to get the real benefits of ketosis you have to make it a lifestyle. If you slip... Eat chips or cakes or a lot of fruit, your body will take the carbs as a primary source of energy again and you'll have to go to the process of "re-configuring" your body again. It usually takes 4 to 6 weeks.
    Again, everybody's body is different so it could take more time or less time...

just curious - how did your month of keto go? i surprisingly didn't have too bad a time with the "flu". i was uncomfortable for a handful of days if that; upping my sodium with bouillon seemed to fix it.