What has your diet taught you about yourself?

Options
13»

Replies

• richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    glennagael wrote: »
    Unless I'm misreading, the only time you directly connected dairy with issues is milk. I had a similar issue, didn't happen with cheese or ice cream. What helped me is switching to organic milk and I've seen this has helped other people.

Huh, thanks for the consideration! Milk, yes, ice cream, yes, cheese, no. For yogurt and sour cream I already use Green Valley Organics lactose free, and those pose no threats. By organic milk do you mean raw milk or pasteurized organic milk at the grocery store? Thanks again!

My reference was to pasteurized organic milk.
  • StealthHealth
    StealthHealth Posts: 2,417 Member
    Options
    I've learnt that there is always more to learn and that some many of the things I said I would never do with respect to health and fitness, I have at some point, often with valid reasons, done.
  • Afura
    Afura Posts: 2,054 Member
    Options
    That I will kill someone if I don't get chocolate, and eliminating food completely will cause me to binge. Easing them out is easier than cut and run, and if I still want something, I have it in moderation.
  • cloverdaisy
    cloverdaisy Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I eat when I'm board, anxious and uncomfortable.
    I don't have to drink every day and 3 beers are a LOT.
    It's not about perfection.
    Be patient.
    Be nice to people because they might be hungry. :P
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    Cylphin60 wrote: »
    Lastly, but only because I saved the best for last - my wife has given me more "Come Hither" looks since I hit my goal 3 months ago than the last 10 years combined. The "diet" is so worth it. rowr lol.

Lol, my hubby seems to be interested more often also, even though I was 20kg heavier when we met, so he clearly didn't have an issue with my weight. ;)

• Francl27
    Francl27 Posts: 26,371 Member
    Options
    Lastly, but only because I saved the best for last - my wife has given me more "Come Hither" looks since I hit my goal 3 months ago than the last 10 years combined. The "diet" is so worth it. rowr lol.

Lol, my hubby seems to be interested more often also, even though I was 20kg heavier when we met, so he clearly didn't have an issue with my weight. ;)

Ditto. Not sure it's a good thing sometimes though.
  • Aetheldreda
    Aetheldreda Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    Things I have noticed:
    - I actually enjoy running
    - I still hate celery and lettuce and no longer buy it
    - I am a control freak when it comes to cooking at home
    - I eat more puddings now than I ever did before
    - I may need a mortgage to finance my love of raspberries
    - it is possible for me to eat a single chocolate button

• JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    Options
    I have learned that quality is better than quantity. If I'm going "spend" my calories on chocolate or cupcakes, I'n not going to waste them on cheap tasteless grocery store sweets when gourmet or bakery treats are about the same calories.
  • JeromeBarry1
    JeromeBarry1 Posts: 10,182 Member
    Options
    It has taught me that I'm not a special snowflake with a uniquely super-efficient metabolism. It has taught me that I will survive until my next meal. It has taught me some humility. With some curiosity it has taught me that others have something useful to say and I can learn from others.

Having lost most of my excess weight, it turns out that I do have a super-efficient cardiovascular system :smiley:
  • Cylphin60
    Cylphin60 Posts: 863 Member
    Options

Congratulations on the 20kg loss! :)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    Francl27 wrote: »

Ditto. Not sure it's a good thing sometimes though.

Ha, yeah this :p:)
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    That I can lose weight in a manner that does not make me miserable.
  • glennagael
    glennagael Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    That I can lose weight in a manner that does not make me miserable.

This! Getting over the idea that health = misery is so huge.
  • laur357
    laur357 Posts: 896 Member
    Options
    I enjoy physical activity. I have a tendency to potato and I'm not great at sports, but I actually like running, hiking, picking up heavy *kitten*, and working up a sweat in general.

I am not special and my body does in fact reduce in size when I *actually* restrict calories, even though I have PCOS. Simply eating "healthy" food does not mean I am eating fewer calories.

I can maintain with no problem when dining out frequently, but I mostly need to cook at home when I'm actively losing weight.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,136 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    EDIT: Too many tabs open.
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    Options
    That I'm still a picky toddler, trapped in a 30 year old's body.

My body is 51, but yeah. Still a picky toddler.

I've learned that I don't need to change my diet, just eat less of it.

I've learned that weight loss doesn't need to be difficult. Seriously, counting calories is pretty simple for me. Cutting foods out, or trying to figure out what I should be eating was the hard part. Didn't work in the past and this time around I'm doing well.

That I can plan and data mine and put *kitten* in Excel and forecast weight and all that. It helps me.

That I can become a bit obsessed over weight loss. And that I need to keep an eye on that and not overdue things.

I like to run, but don't like lifting.

That I can get pretty grumpy when being given stupid weight loss advice. That I get mad at all the BS out there about weight loss, to the point I can be a bit of an *kitten* about it. Also need to dial that back. I think I upset one co-worker, who I like very much.

That I like it when people notice, but am still uncomfortable and not sure how to respond.

That I'm still paranoid I'm going to gain it back. I think I have it figured out how to maintain, but only time will tell if I do it.

I'm sure I'll think of more.

• newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    That I am a total foodie! Limited edition or new flavor? Bring it on! I don't like meat much either, but if it's well seasoned, 3 ozs is good enough. I will always love fudgy chocolate, salty cheeses, and buttery carbs. I just don't need as much of them as often as before. I don't act like one serving is my last meal anymore. And I love the crispness or tenderness of veggies, and the sweetness of fruit, too.
  • SadDolt
    SadDolt Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    that i'm allergic to everything