Pre workout drinks?

Options
What are some good pre workouts? I tried a sample pack of 5150 Richard Piana green apple this morning & thought it was great... A lot of caffeine though but gave me endurance and a great pump. Needed more for tomorrow & couldn't find it without ordering it. Ended up getting Muscle Techs Shatter black onyx - anyone tried it? Has less caffeine in it & I'm hopeful it works as well... BTW I have a high caffeine tolerance & would not recommend either of these to anyone who doesn't

Replies

• Chieflrg
    Chieflrg Posts: 9,097 Member
    Options
    Coffee is often all that is necessary.

Preworkouts are marketed to sell and make money just not from this guy.
  • ItsAllMental819
    ItsAllMental819 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    I don't drink coffee & understand you POV... Personally I like them.
  • Chieflrg
    Options
    I don't drink coffee & understand you POV... Personally I like them.

Point noted, I've got nothing....lol ;).
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I've been training off and on for 27 years and we never needed a pre-workout nostrum to train.

Rub some dirt in it and be a real man. :p
  • ItsAllMental819
    Options
    I've been training off and on for 27 years and we never needed a pre-workout nostrum to train.

Lol... Might take that as an insult if I wasn't
  • H_Ock12
    H_Ock12 Posts: 1,152 Member
    Options
    A 200mg caffeine pill (or two, depending on your tolerance) works well....You can get a bottle for about $3 at Walmart.
  • ItsAllMental819
    edited February 2017
    Options

Cut off my response

I've been training on and off for about 20 years and always used them. I haven't in the past 6 years or so & there's a lot of new stuff out now. I mainly used them for focus but since they took ephedrine out of everything nothing works as well.

I saw some of the lifts you posted in another thread - respect.
  • Chieflrg
    edited February 2017
    Options

Cut off my response

I've been training on and off for about 20 years and always used them. I haven't in the past 6 years or so & there's a lot of new stuff out now. I mainly used them for focus but since they took ephedrine out of everything nothing works as well.

35 years here...never once. ;)

Sounds like we need a little intervention here.
  • Azchange
    Azchange Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I love the Cellulor C4. It gives me the tingly sensation and you can take one or two scoops depending on how intense you wanna get. The blue flavor is awesome! I mix some creatine with it and just go to town.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,613 Member
    Options
    I do coffee in the morning, crystal light with caffeine or great value energy drink mix in the afternoon . During the summer, I prep batches of cold brew and make coffee protein smoothies with frizen banana
  • ItsAllMental819
    Options
    I do coffee in the morning, crystal light with caffeine or great value energy drink mix in the afternoon . During the summer, I prep batches of cold brew and make coffee protein smoothies with frizen banana

The coffee smoothies almost makes me want to drink coffee :smiley:
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    Coffee ain't doing *kitten* for me. By the time I'm getting to the gym I've already drank a dang pot and worked a 10-12 hour day.

Shatter works alright for me. C4 does the trick for awhile, then I have to switch.
  • slowbubblecar
    slowbubblecar Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    I don't use it, but my friend likes the cheap stuff from walmart. Says it works well.
  • Vikka_V
    Vikka_V Posts: 9,563 Member
    Options
    I used to use Vega Pre Workout Energizer Booster, but the colour kinda sketched me out - fluorescent yellow/orange and it stained my shaker cup...made me wonder what it does to my teeth!

I quit drinking coffee, to become more sensitive to caffeine, and now I just drink 1-2 cups of black tea before a workout (for me it is a 10 K run at least 3x weekly + 1 resistance training workout once weekly on the same day as a run).

Whether or not it makes a difference I'm not sure, but same for when I used the Energy Booster.

Drinking caffeine less often has made a noticeable difference overall, I don't get the same low energy in the afternoon that I used to (around 4 PM in my workday)
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,585 Member
    Options
    I had one with niacin in it once...............skin itched and I broke out in hives. So now I just down a couple of caps of caffeine and I'm good to go.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

Cut off my response

I've been lifting 40+ years. Just curious what were you taking 20 years ago? Don't really remember any preworkout really mainstream until the last 10 years or so.

Why do you think you need them? Maybe concentrate on diet and sleep hygiene?

• jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    I like pre-workouts, and have tried a bunch. For me personally, I look for the following, in order of priority -
    • caffeine - I don't drink coffee, I feel a difference with caffeine, and it's a long tested/proven stim.
    • creatine - another long tested/proven supplement. I'm not sure how big a difference it makes for me, but dude, bro.
    • BCAAs - benefit is debatable, but if I'm buying a pre-workout anyway, getting one with BCAAs isn't a big deal. Plus, most of my training is fasted (I'm an IFer), so it's easy insurance... kinda like a multivitamin.

My go-to pre-workout is BSN's N.O. Xplode. Just enough of a buzz, decent flavor, dissolves reasonably well, and I can get it at my local shop.

Just as a note... everyone responds differently to stimulants, so it's worth trying some different things to see what you like and when you get too jittery.
  • ItsAllMental819
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Cut off my response

I've been lifting 40+ years. Just curious what were you taking 20 years ago? Don't really remember any preworkout really mainstream until the last 10 years or so.

Hello Packerjohn,

You are correct that pre workouts were not main stream 20 years ago but they were available. I worked at GNC while completing my degree in Exercise Science, now called Exercise Physiology, and for drinks Ripped Fuel was good but came in single servings. Many used pills - weight loss supplements for their pre workout like Xenadrine & Hydroxycut which are still on the market but drastically different - they all were just a combo of ephedrine, caffeine and white willow bark(asprin) back then...
    I took anything legal that would give me an edge as a competitive bodybuilder.

Now I take pre workouts mainly for intensity and focus. Do I need them? No, but I like them and don't drink coffee. My diet is strict & I sleep 6 to 8 hours nightly.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »

Cut off my response

Hello Packerjohn,

You are correct that pre workouts were not main stream 20 years ago but they were available. I worked at GNC while completing my degree in Exercise Science, now called Exercise Physiology, and for drinks Ripped Fuel was good but came in single servings. Many used pills - weight loss supplements for their pre workout like Xenadrine & Hydroxycut which are still on the market but drastically different - they all were just a combo of ephedrine, caffeine and white willow bark(asprin) back then...
    I took anything legal that would give me an edge as a competitive bodybuilder.

Now I take pre workouts mainly for intensity and focus. Do I need them? No, but I like them and don't drink coffee. My diet is strict & I sleep 6 to 8 hours nightly.

Thanks for the response. I do remember the Hydroxycut, etc.

I like your comment on strict diet and adequate sleep. Most of the strength and conditioning guys I follow will say don't even talk to them about supplements unless your diet and sleep are taken care of.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options

Lol... Might take that as an insult if I wasn't
    It's more of a "get off my lawn" comment.