Pre workout drinks?

Options

Replies

• giantrobot_powerlifting
    Options
    I've been training off and on for 27 years and we never needed a pre-workout nostrum to train.

Rub some dirt in it and be a real man. :p

Cut off my response

I've been training on and off for about 20 years and always used them. I haven't in the past 6 years or so & there's a lot of new stuff out now. I mainly used them for focus but since they took ephedrine out of everything nothing works as well.

I saw some of the lifts you posted in another thread - respect.

Thank you and thanks for the extra background info. Hope you find someone that works for you. I've tried PWO but found coffee to be just all need since The majority of my training was at 4am.
  • giantrobot_powerlifting
    giantrobot_powerlifting Posts: 2,598 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Coffee ain't doing *kitten* for me. By the time I'm getting to the gym I've already drank a dang pot and worked a 10-12 hour day.

Shatter works alright for me. C4 does the trick for awhile, then I have to switch.
    @bbell1985

Have you tried eating a banana with drinking coffee?

:p
  • hnoyola0874
    hnoyola0874 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I use essential amino energy 3 scoops before working out. Keeps it simple no crashing afterwards.
  • ZodFit
    ZodFit Posts: 394 Member
    Options
    C4 ultimate.
  • quiksylver296
    quiksylver296 Posts: 28,442 Member
    Options
    I very rarely use one, because I workout in the evening and have to sleep. But when I do, ENGN EVL is my favorite.
  • DancingMoosie
    DancingMoosie Posts: 8,619 Member
    Options
    I do coffee in the morning, crystal light with caffeine or great value energy drink mix in the afternoon . During the summer, I prep batches of cold brew and make coffee protein smoothies with frizen banana

The coffee smoothies almost makes me want to drink coffee :smiley:

It's so good with quest salted caramel protein powder
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I do coffee in the morning, crystal light with caffeine or great value energy drink mix in the afternoon . During the summer, I prep batches of cold brew and make coffee protein smoothies with frizen banana

The coffee smoothies almost makes me want to drink coffee :smiley:

It's so good with quest salted caramel protein powder

Trying this tomorrow! I don't know how it never occurred to me!!! YUM!
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options
    I drink PWO for the flavor. If I take two scoops, my face gets tingly so I guess it does SOMETHING.. Anyways, I drink Ghost Warhead PWO in 2-3 oz of Monster Zero Ultra. I love sour candy so it's a pretty nice treat.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    I drink Ghost Warhead PWO in 2-3 oz of Monster Zero Ultra.

:o:# Your caffeine endurance is amazing. You'd have to peel me off the ceiling, and I drink a Monster Ultra Zero every afternoon. Color me impressed.
  • _incogNEATo_
    _incogNEATo_ Posts: 4,537 Member
    Options

:o:# Your caffeine endurance is amazing. You'd have to peel me off the ceiling, and I drink a Monster Ultra Zero every afternoon. Color me impressed.

I literally only drink it for the taste. I've noticed that if I drink that concoction for a night workout, it takes me a while to wind down and fall asleep. I don't see any effects (negative or otherwise) when I drink it in the morning. Go figure?
  • OhMsDiva
    OhMsDiva Posts: 1,073 Member
    Options

I literally only drink it for the taste. I've noticed that if I drink that concoction for a night workout, it takes me a while to wind down and fall asleep. I don't see any effects (negative or otherwise) when I drink it in the morning. Go figure?

I add mine in the morning for the flavor as well
  • shor0814
    shor0814 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    I can't stand coffee so that is a non-starter for me and I tend to workout late in the evenings so I need a bit of a boost to keep me from wanting to go to sleep in the gym. I started on C4 which was like a beginner drink, tried the Muscle Pharm but didn't care for it, just no improvement over C4. I bought some GAT which had a decent taste and worked good. My new one is Mr. Hyde cotton candy which is great tasting, and I am still feeling it well after my workout, thus the midnight posting.

I like the tingle from the beta alanine and niacin because I know when it is in my system and where in my workout I should be for maximum energy.
  • SR1986
    SR1986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options

Walmart has an energy drink mix?! Why didn't anyone tell me! All the money spent mixing my own...
  • SR1986
    SR1986 Posts: 92 Member
    Options
    Anyone do post workout drinks? I often feel like I could down an entire bottle of Pedialyte after.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,401 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I don't really take a pre workout (mainly because I drink diet dew through the day), but I do have a protein shake and occasionally gummy bears.
  • mgalovic01
    mgalovic01 Posts: 388 Member
    Options
    The self proclaimed, and widely recognized king of PWs is Mesomorph. It's not very well known though. If it was, it would probably be off the market. Just a disclosure, but today's pre- workout enthusiasts might be tomorrows heart patients.
  • quiksylver296
    Options
    psuLemon wrote: »
    I don't really take a pre workout (mainly because I drink diet dew through the day), but I do have a protein shake and occasionally gummy bears.

Sour Patch Kids > Gummi bears. Just saying. ;)
  • ItsAllMental819
    ItsAllMental819 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    SR1986 wrote: »
    Anyone do post workout drinks? I often feel like I could down an entire bottle of Pedialyte after.

I drink water & a whey protein shake post workout...
  • trigden1991
    trigden1991 Posts: 4,658 Member
    Options

Jelly beans > sour patch kids > gummi bears
  • quiksylver296
    edited February 2017
    Options

Jelly beans > sour patch kids > gummi bears

No way. Unless they are Starburst jelly beans or Jelly Bellys. And even then, Sour Patch Kids win.