New here. Low carb-Macros??

Options
I just recently started trying to wean myself into a low carb diet. I am not doing anything crazy or doing the keto diet. Just trying to keep it under 100. Usually I am eating between 50-60 carbs per day. I have done some research online and this seems to be at least a sensible number of carbs to have per day. I may go more restrictive at some point but am not ready for that. My question is the macros. Does anyone know what the macros should be set at for a moderately low carb diet? Is anyone else doing low carb and not doing a very strict low carb? If so what are your thoughts? I don't need to lose a significant amount of weight. I would like to lose about 10 pounds. I am more concerned with being healthy. My last check up showed higher blood pressure and higher glucose levels than normal. Not in the danger zone but way, way at the top of normal.

Replies

• nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    This TDEE calculator is set up for ketosis (under 50g carbs) but you can change it and play with it. https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com/

Most low carbers go with moderate protein What that is depends on your size, exercise, and whether you are trying not to go too high in protein to avoid the insulinogenic effects of protein (like if you have insulin resistance). Protein seems to most often be somewhere between 15 and 40% with 20-25% being pretty common. I go with about 20% which is around 70-80g of protein, but I am not overly active and have IR (prediabetic with A1c about 5.6).

Fats fill in the rest. Usually 40-80% of a low carb diet.

Hopefully the diet will help. For those who stick with it, most find blood glucose comes down. Because low carb is low insulin, you will lose electrolytes and water weight which may help with your blood pressure. If you start getting headaches, fatigue, nausea, BM issues, and muscle aches, it means your sodium has dipped to low. Many low carbers need to supplement with 3000-5000 mg of sodium per day (about 2 tsp salt) to make up for the electrolytes lost with a LCHF diet.

Consider joining the Low Carber Daily MFP group. Many helpful people there. http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/group/394-low-carber-daily-forum-the-lcd-group