Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Self-control is a limited resource, and what this means for your diet

Options
ugofatcat
ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
If you have 5 minutes, please watch this video.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uaNt-tcnm6Q

My takeaway is that you only get so much self-control for the day, and once you use it up, it is easy to fall back into old bad habits. When you try to change a bunch of things in your life, it is easy to get discouraged easily and give up because you run out of self-control quickly.

On the other hand, if you pick one thing to change and just focus on that, you won’t deplete your self-control as quickly, and it will be easier to maintain this change. Once this change becomes a habit and it no longer takes self-control, add another change.

Agree or disagree? Has this been your experience with weight loss? Did you change things gradually, or make a whole bunch of changes overnight?

Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts.

Replies

• TR0berts
    TR0berts Posts: 7,739 Member
    Options
    To me, what this experiment (and by experiment I mean these things that psychologists and other soft scientists conduct on college students, then dress up with a lot of turgid terminology, and publish in journals reviewed by other soft scientists, that are later proven to be absolutely wrong) says is that radishes are the worst and suck out your will to live. While cookies, on the other hand, give you a great dopamine boost and get you all jacked up with energy so you can do an awesome job at whatever task you are facing.

I don't think it's so much self-control as, why would you even want to do a good job for these manipulative punks that put cookies in front of you and don't let you eat them? Screw those punks! :D

On their own? Yes.

But, put them on top of some vanilla soft serve? Oh, Canada, that's F'ing good.

• French_Peasant
    French_Peasant Posts: 1,639 Member
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    To me, what this experiment (and by experiment I mean these things that psychologists and other soft scientists conduct on college students, then dress up with a lot of turgid terminology, and publish in journals reviewed by other soft scientists, that are later proven to be absolutely wrong) says is that radishes are the worst and suck out your will to live. While cookies, on the other hand, give you a great dopamine boost and get you all jacked up with energy so you can do an awesome job at whatever task you are facing.

I don't think it's so much self-control as, why would you even want to do a good job for these manipulative punks that put cookies in front of you and don't let you eat them? Screw those punks! :D

On their own? Yes.

But, put them on top of some vanilla soft serve? Oh, Canada, that's F'ing good.

Wait, you're talking about putting the cookies on the soft serve, right? ;)

I grow these beautiful heirloom radishes, and every spring enjoy a few with a light dusting of freshly cracked sea salt and black pepper....then I'm like, screw that! Hope they enjoy them at the food bank, because they get a lot from me! (Kale too! Another plant that would lead to bitterness and rage if presented side by side with chocolate chips!)
  • Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    Huh. Good thing my eating habits are borderline robotic.
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    Options
    Huh. Good thing my eating habits are borderline robotic.

Mine too. I eat the same subset of foods day in and day out. It's how I've always eaten and it does become robotic.

• Gallowmere1984
    Gallowmere1984 Posts: 6,626 Member
    Options
    bbell1985 wrote: »
    Self control is fatiguing. I don't "fit it what I want everyday" like so many MFP members go on and on about. I eat my dang veg, protein, enjoy a choclately protein bar and that's that. When I want to indulge in something I go all out.

This. As I have said before, I don't eat some pizza; I eat all of the pizza. This is limited to intentional overfeeds though, I stick to a medium "all of the everything" toppings, and I only bother if a bulk stalls.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    Options
    I think some people just have more selfcontrol than others do. Some cave right away, and some never give in once they've made up their minds.
  • ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    Options
    @SingRunTing I will have to add that to my reading list. I am the opposite of you. I can't stop with just one serving of ice cream, I will eat it until it is gone. I don't trust myself so I just don't keep it in the house.

My fiancé got a whole bunch of mini snickers for Valentine's day. I told him he needs to bring them to work or throw them away, I cannot stop myself once I start. I envy your ability to stop.