Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Self-control is a limited resource, and what this means for your diet

Replies

• ugofatcat
    ugofatcat Posts: 385 Member
    madamso1 wrote: »
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    If you have
    My takeaway is that you only get so much self-control for the day, and once you use it up, it is easy to fall back into old bad habits. When you try to change a bunch of things in your life, it is easy to get discouraged easily and give up because you run out of self-control quickly.

On the other hand, if you pick one thing to change and just focus on that, you won’t deplete your self-control as quickly, and it will be easier to maintain this change. Once this change becomes a habit and it no longer takes self-control, add another change.

Agree or disagree? Has this been your experience with weight loss? Did you change things gradually, or make a whole bunch of changes overnight?

Would love to hear everyone’s thoughts.
    See this video discusses the same experiment.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=2MDNvKXdLEM

I did watch the video. My take away was not to jump to conclusions based on a single study.
  • heiliskrimsli
    heiliskrimsli Posts: 735 Member
    Change is very hard for me. I'm a creature of extreme routine, to the point that I have been called robotic. Alteration of the routine is not something that I handle really well, and will virtually never do on my own.

Losing weight for me, changing that, I changed everything at once and then decided the old me was dead and there was an alternate, new me who never lived that life before. For me it's like skydiving. Once you're out of the plane, you can't get back in. You have no choice but to stay on that ride until it ends.

Well, that's how I view my new life. Completely different from the old, and the only way it changes is if I die.
  • wackyfunster
    wackyfunster Posts: 944 Member
    Self control is like a muscle. The more you use it, the stronger it gets. Certainly there are limits, but you'll notice a HUGE disparity in levels of self control between individuals that seems to coincide suspiciously with how frequently they apply self-control in their lives.

Just my 2c.
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    On the video, there is the assumption that everybody likes chocolate chip cookies. I will personally fail the experiment because I don’t like cookies of any kind, especially chocolate chip, and even more if they are just baked. The smell is nauseating to me and eating them will give me a stomach ache. On the other hand, I love radishes.
    On the second experiment, I will also fail because I think that the little white bear was adorable and it would be very difficult to take him/her out of my mind but it would not exhaust me mentally.
    In my opinion, the bottom line is that we can’t make general assumptions about self-control or temptations because we are all different and what for some people may be hard to resist for others is not a big deal.
    Now I want radishes…
  • toronto88
    toronto88 Posts: 21 Member
    edited June 2017
    I totally agree with the idea of self-control fatigue. My work is mentally exhausting, and when I am tired and hungry at the end of the day I tend to make poor food choices, avoid exercise, etc. I am trying to limit the amount of time spent making decisions about food and trying to make decisions on nutrition when I am not hungry.

I have started doing intermittent fasting (I have a 4-8 hour eating window depending on my schedule). I skip breakfast and instead have 2-3 glasses of water and coffee and then fast in the AM when my willpower is at its highest. I am not as hungry in the morning as I would have expected. Then I eat a packed lunch so that I don't have to make decisions at a cafeteria when I am really hungry (I tend to buy bigger portions or more unhealthy food if I choose when I am hungry). Then I eat a dinner that I have prepped in advance or that is super quick to cook as soon as I get home from work. I tend to do meal prep after I eat dinner and I make a meal with about 4 portions and eat them over the next 2-3 days.

I have found that intermittent fasting and meal prepping a few meals in advance has cut down on the amount of time I spend thinking about what to eat and how much....and cuts down on the amount of willpower required. I feel much less focused on food. I also like having larger meals which works well for IF. I also don't need to calorie count with IF if I am eating healthy food and divide it into reasonable portions in advance. I plugged the last few days into MFP out of curiosity and I have been eating 1500 cal - and it doesn't feel like I am dieting. I've lost about 15lb so far and it has been the simplest/most effortless weight loss that I have ever done.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    I think it's an interesting video. The controls were poorly thought out so all I could really take away is that there is such a thing as mental fatigue ( which I know is true from experience) and that mental fatigue affects self control. In the experiments there may have been other things at play...eating cookies gives you instant energy so the group that ate cookies and then worked longer probably did because of added energy, not because they had expended less thought about eating. Too, the point that the group not allowed to eat cookies where some may be disgruntled and therefore unmotivated to really try the tasks could have contributed to their shorter times...and not mental fatigue already made in this thread I agree with. Seemed to be a lot of assumptions going on. On the white bear experiment...same thing..I would have been like s c r e w you thought police and been daydreaming about polar bears while simultaneously writing an essay. There is no way of knowing what the groups were thinking.

I think self control and mental energy are more complex than what these experiments have assumed. I also didn't agree that self control is linked to persistence in the face of failure like the video is saying. Isn't there a quote about doing the same thing but expecting different results being the definition of madness? Yeah, well persistence in the face of failure sounds an awful lot like that. Self control...well every second you are in control of yourself is a success...so I don't see self control as an exercise in experiencing failure.
  • JoRocka
    JoRocka Posts: 17,525 Member
    Steve Kamb? Komb? from Nerd Fitness did this article/blog/whatever about 6-7 years ago.

It's been hugely implemental for myself and for others I speak with on being kind do themselves on making small changes.
    It takes time to get good at anything. And discipline isn't unending- and not something people just *have*- so I think it's a good jumping off point for people.
  • RunningGoal
    RunningGoal Posts: 7 Member
    If you want an entirely different take which leaves the idea of self-control out of the equation, check out Abraham Hicks. Not for everyone but can be life-changing.
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    If a lot of changes are needed, then I would agree that making the changes at a pace that is comfortable is best.

This was not my experience, but I didn't make a lot of changes as I was not obese, was already very active and was only overeating by a little (gained weight very slowly).
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Gisel2015 wrote: »
    I don’t like cookies of any kind, especially chocolate chip

Don't like chocolate chip cookies? Are you sure you're even human? :wink:
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    I don’t like cookies of any kind, especially chocolate chip

Don't like chocolate chip cookies? Are you sure you're even human? :wink:

A Witch! Burn her!
  • Gisel2015
    Gisel2015 Posts: 4,136 Member
    @richardgavel and @CSARdiver :'(

Sorry guys, I know that I am weird but I never had a sweet tooth, even as a child; I prefer savory foods. You money, cookies, cakes and all sweets/deserts are safe with me, just don't leave your french fries on my kitchen counter.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    @richardgavel and @CSARdiver :'(

Sorry guys, I know that I am weird but I never had a sweet tooth, even as a child; I prefer savory foods. You money, cookies, cakes and all sweets/deserts are safe with me, just don't leave your french fries on my kitchen counter.

There may still be fights over the fries. I make no promises.
  • brittyn3
    brittyn3 Posts: 481 Member
    This video was difficult to watch lol. But I agree. If self control and motivation were easily available - we'd likely have less over weight people.

The key to my success was habits. Fake it until you make it. I like to make all the changes I need at once and tweak as time goes on. I went on vacation recently. Out of country. With the time change I wasn't able to workout until the last day due to my body feeling terrible. Coming back and jumping back into my routine was harrrdddd. Took me a few days before I could fully commit again.

Habits/routine = my key to success
  • garywizau
    garywizau Posts: 4 Member
    edited June 2017
    I agree that self-control can get tiresome, but more than that, it is the constant "denial" of what you want that makes it so. So, I believe the best use of your self-control is to change your habits, rather than constantly try to deny yourself of things. For us, this has been hard. But it's worked. I can't even looked at anything fried anymore. A french fry, anything breaded... it all looks completely unappetizing even though 10 years ago they were my favorite treats! The same goes with steak. Every 6 weeks, we now treat ourselves to a nice nice steak, and then end up saying "You know, a nice piece of seared Yellowfin Tuna is better". It didn't happen automatically, it took a lot of work. But, these days it requires a lot less self control because most of the foods that we wanted to avoid are now, finally, on our "don't like" list.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    Kelly McGonigal The Willpower Instinct is a book that relates to this topic and even mentions those studies. I just read it in June.
  • KeepRunningFatboy
    KeepRunningFatboy Posts: 3,055 Member
    ugofatcat wrote: »
    On the other hand, if you pick one thing to change and just focus on that, you won’t deplete your self-control as quickly, and it will be easier to maintain this change. Once this change becomes a habit and it no longer takes self-control, ...

I like this concept. I tend towards all or nothing at many things. Either I'm all in and everything goes perfectly, or a small slip up and I'm done for the day.

It wasn't enough to run marathons, no I had to start iron man triathlon training and forget the shorter swim distances until I'm trained and ready. That was a disaster.

So back to the point, YES, one habit at a time. Ok maybe 2, right now I've quit Facebook until Labor Day and I'm starting daily abdominal work. So far so good.
  • Jdismybug1
    Jdismybug1 Posts: 443 Member
    My changes came from a very stressful life event. I started jogging because I was furious about what happened. I knew I wasn't going to be a pleasant person if I didn't start doing something to burn off steam.
    Then I started changing my food choices that week. Started logging about a month after that.
    If I want to have a sweet treat I find a way to work it into my log. I don't tell myself no. I just don't go overboard.