Are bananas bad for stomach fat?

Options
shakybabe
shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
I keep seeing ads about tips to lose tummy fat or foods that are bad for stomach fat or good for losing it and there is often a pic of a bunch of banana's ..it usually leads to somewhere that wants you to buy a book to find out!

Does anyone on here know if they are bad or not as I had been having a banana for breakfast with some probiotic yoghurt but don't know if they are making things worse...as I seem to be struggling to lose from tummy but arms legs, face and neck etc are noticeably thinner.

Any other foods I should be avoiding? or any thats good for losing tummy fat?

I'm already gluten free, low carb and mainly eat chicken and fish with salad or veg, though thinking of going dairy free and maybe vegan or vegetarian to see if that helps.

Replies

• jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options
    Bananas are wonderful for you. Excellent source of potassium, B vitamins, are great for your digestion, and vision even. Studies even show that they may help prevent HIV infection. Those ads are BS.
  • Velum_cado
    Velum_cado Posts: 1,608 Member
    Options
    I think you should ignore every single one of those "ONE WEIRD TIP TO LOSE BELLY FAT" type ads. Just eat sensibly, with a moderate calorie deficit. Do some exercise if you want. But eating or not eating certain foods won't do the trick.
  • kmash32
    kmash32 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Do you eat a lot of fruit or just the banana? Banana's are high in sugar as is alot of other fruit so you do need to watch how much you eat as how much sugar you are eating can definately effect belly fat.

I have PCOS and I try to limit myself to one piece of fruit a day and keep the sugar to the minimum 40 even with the fruit. I don't always succeed but I know that even if I don't I am still keeping it fairly low.

Do you have the sugar counter up on your food page if not I would recommend it so you can see how much sugar both natural and not that you are consuming.
  • _Zardoz_
    _Zardoz_ Posts: 3,987 Member
    Options
    You cant spot reduce so people claiming that one food will reduce fat in a certain area are talking rubbish i'm afraid. Bananas are great I have at least one a day sometimes more it hasnt effected my weight loss.
  • lizzzylou
    lizzzylou Posts: 325
    Options
    Studies even show that they may help prevent HIV infection. Those ads are BS.

2gwreb6.png

ETA: At the risk of too much information, I generally like bananas because they aid in my digestion, which in turn would lead to a flatter tummy. That's just my logic :flowerforyou:
  • sav3175
    sav3175 Posts: 47
    Options
    Bananas are good for you especially after a workout helps restore but just like everything moderation is key too much fruit is not good for you cuz of natural sugars
  • deksgrl
    deksgrl Posts: 7,237 Member
    Options
    Unless you have a medical reason for avoiding sugar, then no need to cut out any fruit.
  • Rebecca_87
    Rebecca_87 Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I don't know why those adds show a picture of a banana. I was curious once and clicked on one of them, and all they talked about was removing flour and processed foods from your diet. Last I checked a banana is neither one of those things.

That said, bananas are fine, just high in sugar. But it's natural sugar and as long as you keep your portions in check you can go and enjoy your potassium rich banana :)
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    Bananas are wonderful for you. Excellent source of potassium, B vitamins, are great for your digestion, and vision even. Studies even show that they may help prevent HIV infection. Those ads are BS.

They're clearly BS, but can you enlighten me as to the so-called "tip"? No way am I clicking on one of these ads and having a cookie encode my information. I don't want to be stalked by the Banana Spammer for the rest of my Internet life.
  • PennStateChick
    PennStateChick Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I keep seeing ads about tips to lose tummy fat or foods that are bad for stomach fat or good for losing it and there is often a pic of a bunch of banana's ..it usually leads to somewhere that wants you to buy a book to find out!

Does anyone on here know if they are bad or not as I had been having a banana for breakfast with some probiotic yoghurt but don't know if they are making things worse...as I seem to be struggling to lose from tummy but arms legs, face and neck etc are noticeably thinner.

Any other foods I should be avoiding? or any thats good for losing tummy fat?

I'm already gluten free, low carb and mainly eat chicken and fish with salad or veg, though thinking of going dairy free and maybe vegan or vegetarian to see if that helps.

I agree with basically everyone else. Bananas are fine and can be part of a healthy diet.

However, I'm only posting because no one else is saying it - Why would you give up all that food? You do not have to eat only chicken/fish to lose weight. Gluten free, low carb, dairy free, vegan, vegetarian are not necessary to lose weight.
  • Sycoholic
    Sycoholic Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Eat the banana, don't click the ads.
  • pbrahan
    pbrahan Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    Have you watched that video? It's actually VERY good. It tells you what foods you should be incorporating into your diet and what foods you should avoid.
    Instead of focusing on bad and good foods, though, I think the calories and the exercise are where it's at. My husband lost 30lbs last year using MFP and he eats stuff that would shock you. He exercises about 4X a week and has hot tea with 2TBSP sugar twice a day, and every night he eats 2 heaping TBSP of dark chocolate Hershey's morsels.
    I'm eating mostly whole foods while avoiding processed foods and sugars and have had great success. If it weren't for a living example in my house that you can eat "bad foods" and still lose and maintain the loss, I wouldn't believe it.
    I love MFP - I think the accountability to yourself is key.
    Best of luck to you!
    Paula
  • jessicapk
    jessicapk Posts: 574 Member
    Options

They're clearly BS, but can you enlighten me as to the so-called "tip"? No way am I clicking on one of these ads and having a cookie encode my information. I don't want to be stalked by the Banana Spammer for the rest of my Internet life.

Ah ha! The ad is a warning. Do not click on this link or you will be stalked by the Banana Spammer for all eternity! Go eat a banana instead.

If I ate a banana every time I saw those ads in a normal day, I'd weigh a ton!
  • garciabnm
    garciabnm Posts: 138
    Options
    ^^^this
  • Binkie1955
    Binkie1955 Posts: 329 Member
    Options
    yes, if you're trying to lose belly fat, then you're trying to lose fat in one of the first places the body stores it and one of the last places it givesit up. bananas are very high in carbohydrates and they are a fruit so to lose this fat, you have to go on carbohydrate restriction of some kind.
  • haroon_awan
    haroon_awan Posts: 1,208 Member
    Options
    Eat all of the banananananans! :)
  • floshideaway
    floshideaway Posts: 101 Member
    Options
    Bananas are one of the best fruit on the market. Bananas have two times as many carbohydrates as an apple, five times as much Vitamin A and iron and three times as much phosphorus. In addition, bananas are also rich in potassium and natural sugars.

All of these factors combined make the banana a “super food” that is an integral part of a healthy daily regimen. bananas are a great source of natural energy. 2 bananas will provide enough fuel to your body for well over an hour workout. Why do you thing, athletes of all sorts eat them......Unless you have an allergy to them every one should include them in their diet.
  • toutmonpossible
    toutmonpossible Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options

Ah ha! The ad is a warning. Do not click on this link or you will be stalked by the Banana Spammer for all eternity! Go eat a banana instead.

If I ate a banana every time I saw those ads in a normal day, I'd weigh a ton!

I'm strangely intrigued. I know it's nonsense, but I'm still vaguely tempted. But as I never got a new laptop after filling out all those questionnaires ....:smile:
  • shakybabe
    shakybabe Posts: 1,578 Member
    Options
    lol..love some of your answers!... banana's are one of the few fruits I like.

Usually I have banana for breakfast, an apple for lunch with carrot sticks..sometimes I have one small babybel as some diary is meant to help bind the fat so it passes through? dinner is fish or chicken with veg or salad..and sometimes a rice cake for supper.

I tend to eat more around my monthly cravings so then get really strict for a few days (as above) to try and drop the water quickly at end of monthly cycle..sometimes if struggling to drop the water again I use water tablets as TOTM starts (when losing lots of water first few days) as this tends to almost double the overall water loss...but then I'm not getting any lower than what I was before TOTM started..until next one when regain the water weight.

I had got down to 9st 3 but now can't seem to drop below 9st 12 so have definitely gained 9lbs I can't seem to shift again!

I did try capsiplex which worked brilliant first time I tried them when was 12st 7 last year..I lost half a stone in one week and 18lbs in that first month when first went on them combined with dropping all carbs (potatoes bread etc..not even brown rice/gluten free bread) ..but can't seem to even lose half that in a month now! :( ..it doesn't seem to have worked this time even though tried the newest formula with the 5HTP in.
  • MorningWhispers
    Options
    Eating healthy and doing some exercises that will help improve your stomach muscles are what will give you a flatter tummy.