Starting to pick things up and put them down; how many reps should I do?

Options
I've started incorporating strength training into my workouts, and am slowly but steadily upping my weights. Am I doing enough to see any progress, or doing too much? For example, here is what I did tonight:

20 minutes on the elliptical
30 reps on the back extension machine, with 50lbs weight
30 reps on a machine similar to a horizontal chest press, with 70lbs weight
20 reps leg press, 110lbs weight
30 reps leg press, 130lbs weight
Mix of regular and bicycle crunches
50 Russian twists with 10lbs weight
30 minute cool down walk at a brisk pace

I've been testing out machines at the gym lately, as I've never used them before. When I go with friends, we generally do "circuits" that focus on a certain area (arms, legs, abs), and do three one minute sets on each machine. Any advice will be helpful, as I'd like to do this the right way!

Replies

• malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,565 Member
    Options
  • sijomial
    sijomial Posts: 19,811 Member
    Options
    If you are steadily increasing the weights then clearly you are "doing enough to see progress".

If you aren't too sore and feeling fatigued then it's unlikely you are "doing too much" in terms of overall volume.

However, most self-designed program are far from optimal. Get professional advice or base your routine on a properly designed program that supports your goals, capabilities and experience.

It's a fair bet that you will progress much quicker and for longer with a properly structured routine.
    As a beginner just doing almost anything that challenges your current capabilities will result in progress but that will stall out rapidly.

But first have a serious think about goals. You haven't stated any!
    "How many reps?" is majoring in the minors right now.
  • Muscleflex79
    Muscleflex79 Posts: 1,917 Member
    Options
    not a very well rounded routine...get on a structured program!
  • Leadfoot_Lewis
    Leadfoot_Lewis Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    not a very well rounded routine...get on a structured program!

^Agree. Find yourself a proven program.

"Strength" training occurs in a lower rep range, loosely put 3-12ish rep range. What you are doing is endurance training.
  • missiontofitness
    missiontofitness Posts: 4,074 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    sijomial wrote: »
    If you are steadily increasing the weights then clearly you are "doing enough to see progress".

If you aren't too sore and feeling fatigued then it's unlikely you are "doing too much" in terms of overall volume.

However, most self-designed program are far from optimal. Get professional advice or base your routine on a properly designed program that supports your goals, capabilities and experience.

It's a fair bet that you will progress much quicker and for longer with a properly structured routine.
    As a beginner just doing almost anything that challenges your current capabilities will result in progress but that will stall out rapidly.

But first have a serious think about goals. You haven't stated any!
    "How many reps?" is majoring in the minors right now.

Good point on the goals! I really need to sit down and map those out.

Also, you and everyone who pointed out that a self-designed program isn't ideal is right. I literally am just doing what I feel like doing when I'm at the gym, and don't really have any idea what I'm doing. I do know a personal trainer at the gym I go to (and it's free with my membership!), so I'll have him help me come up with a routine next time I see him.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    bodybuilding.com has a ton of plans that tell you what exercise to do on what days and recommended reps and at what weight percentage for reps. find what works for you and follow it