Running pain...in my arms.

Finally got a morning run in and it was very revealing. I have been having a lot of pain in my upper forearms. It is accompanied by weakness to the point that it is difficult and painful lift my 40 oz. water bottle. I was scared that it was the start of some horrible disease. It is in both arms but not in my legs at all. This morning when I put my running jacket on which is usually a little painful but it didn't bother me at all. That when it hit me, due to a head cold and a ski trip I haven't run in roughly two or three weeks. I haven't thought about my arms because they stopped hurting this week. I ran six miles this morning and the pain returned. I have been running for years now and this just started about three months ago. My posture is arms bent with forearms parallel to the ground, thumbs up fingers out as if I am holding a coin between each knuckle. If I lower my arm I feel pain in the upper forearm. Any ideas?
«1

Replies

  • girlinahat
    girlinahat Posts: 2,956 Member
    When I had a small slipped disc irritating a nerve in my neck, I had referred pain in my arms. Mine was upper arms, and tingling running down to my ring fingers in both arms. The pain felt like someone tightening a clamp around my arms and I honestly thought they would break. The fact that you have pain in both arms makes me wonder if it is something similar, or relating to posture/tension in the neck. Having said that – you mention skiing recently – anything to do with how tightly you held ski poles and excess use of the muscles there?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,731 Member
    if stopping running stopped the pain I'd see a doctor or physio
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    girlinahat wrote: »
    When I had a small slipped disc irritating a nerve in my neck, I had referred pain in my arms. Mine was upper arms, and tingling running down to my ring fingers in both arms. The pain felt like someone tightening a clamp around my arms and I honestly thought they would break. The fact that you have pain in both arms makes me wonder if it is something similar, or relating to posture/tension in the neck. Having said that – you mention skiing recently – anything to do with how tightly you held ski poles and excess use of the muscles there?

    I was curious what effect skiing would have on it. It was painful to lift & carry the skis but the poles didn't seem to aggravate it which was a surprise. It was lots of hard skiing with lots of powder, all blacks and double black trails. So I didn't see any added pain from gripping poles.
  • curlsintherack
    curlsintherack Posts: 465 Member
    do you move your arms much when you run?

    I have a bad habbit of just tucking my elbows in and not moving my arms as much as I should and I often have to shake my arms out every few minutes because they get stiff from the strain of holding them in a static position rather than allowing them to move the way they naturally should while running.
  • It's likely coming from your neck. Are you craning your neck forward? That can cause thoracic outlet syndrome which will send nerve pains down your arm.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    lsutton484 wrote: »
    do you move your arms much when you run?

    I have a bad habbit of just tucking my elbows in and not moving my arms as much as I should and I often have to shake my arms out every few minutes because they get stiff from the strain of holding them in a static position rather than allowing them to move the way they naturally should while running.

    I keep my arms somewhat static moving mostly front to back but not side to side.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    It's likely coming from your neck. Are you craning your neck forward? That can cause thoracic outlet syndrome which will send nerve pains down your arm.

    Neck is what is worrying me because its both arms. I don't think I am craning but who knows. I do run with a very light impact to limit stress and use Hoka One One Constant 2 shoes that have 315 miles on them.
  • BeeerRunner
    BeeerRunner Posts: 728 Member
    You won't know for sure what it is unless you go to a dr. Go to a dr. It's definitely unusual, especially in both arms.
  • tahxirez
    tahxirez Posts: 270 Member
    I sometimes get a heavy feeling in my arms (which I hold almost exactly like you) and I have to shake them out. I think the aggressive angle of the bend limits circulation and what I'm feeling is the precursers to numbness possibly? This leads to my arms feeling tired but I don't have DOMS or any lingering effects from it. I would def seek medical attention to make sure there isn't anything more serious occurring.
  • crooked_left_hook
    crooked_left_hook Posts: 364 Member
    It's likely coming from your neck. Are you craning your neck forward? That can cause thoracic outlet syndrome which will send nerve pains down your arm.

    I thought about TOS too because I deal with that frequently. Are you holding your arms rigid or tensing your shoulders? I usually have my arms at less than 90 degree angle, I make sure not to hold my elbows to close to my body, and I keep my hands relaxed (like I'm gently holding an egg in each hand). I'll shake them out periodically if I notice I'm tensing up. Maybe try getting some deep tissue work done on your shoulders, triceps, arms, neck, and chest to loosen up the muscles? That usually helps me when I have arm pain issues.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    Now that I know it is running related I will pay close attention to form and posture and will also try some stretching movements. I am not a very good go to the doctor person. I am 56 and when asked the last time I went to the doctor I had to reply for a High School physical. I will get some new shoes and more observations before I make a trip to the doctor. I am still perplexed that when I was running 30 miles a week I had no trouble but at 15 to 20 miles a week I have this pain. Thanks for all the help and ideas. I am just thankful I have at least a catalyst or cause to focus on instead of thinking I am in the early stages of something else. I will also try to add some strength training (Nautilus machines) to see if that helps. Hoping to run again in the morning, I love it.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    You won't know for sure what it is unless you go to a dr. Go to a dr. It's definitely unusual, especially in both arms.

    My wife is very into diagnosing illness and hasn't been too concerned. She is actually extremely good at putting symptoms together to arrive at a illness. A friend of ours brother had a bizarre set of symptoms that had all the doctors stumped. She said it sounds like mad cow disease, later on sadly it was confirmed.

    I like your BeeeRunner name. I often say "I run to drink my beer & wine"
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,731 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    You won't know for sure what it is unless you go to a dr. Go to a dr. It's definitely unusual, especially in both arms.

    My wife is very into diagnosing illness and hasn't been too concerned. She is actually extremely good at putting symptoms together to arrive at a illness. A friend of ours brother had a bizarre set of symptoms that had all the doctors stumped. She said it sounds like mad cow disease, later on sadly it was confirmed.

    I like your BeeeRunner name. I often say "I run to drink my beer & wine"

    Who needs a doctor when you've got your wife... :laugh: what has she diagnosed it as??
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    She thinks it is a nerve impairment. I am not so sure because the pain "feels" muscular. Tomorrow when I run I am going to move my arm around like I have a disorder.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,731 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    She thinks it is a nerve impairment. I am not so sure because the pain "feels" muscular. Tomorrow when I run I am going to move my arm around like I have a disorder.

    So why post here if your wife can fix it?
  • vespiquenn
    vespiquenn Posts: 1,455 Member
    edited February 2017
    rsclause wrote: »
    She thinks it is a nerve impairment. I am not so sure because the pain "feels" muscular. Tomorrow when I run I am going to move my arm around like I have a disorder.

    So why post here if your wife can fix it?

    This. If it continues, it's time to suck it up and go to a sports doctor. Rather than *kitten* around and potentially doing lifetime damage, get it fixed now. I never understood the "I'm not a doctor person." I'd rather give myself a fighting chance with a professional than prolong treatment and be out an activity I enjoy.
  • rsclause
    rsclause Posts: 3,103 Member
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    She thinks it is a nerve impairment. I am not so sure because the pain "feels" muscular. Tomorrow when I run I am going to move my arm around like I have a disorder.

    So why post here if your wife can fix it?

    This. If it continues, it's time to suck it up and go to a sports doctor. Rather than *kitten* around and potentially doing lifetime damage, get it fixed now. I never understood the "I'm not a doctor person." I'd rather give myself a fighting chance with a professional than prolong treatment and be out an activity I enjoy.

    Wife can't fix but just knows what symptoms are caused by many health issues, good but not foolproof. I posted here to see if anybody else has ever had this happen.

    Not a doctor phobia but I do dislike the habit of resorting to drugs first before a lifestyle change. First its a perscription followed by a side effect and another prescription. I do agree when it is serious I am not going to BS around and hope it gets better without going to the doctor.
  • angelaf5678
    angelaf5678 Posts: 2 Member
    I used to suffer from this and mentioned it to a physio friend who advised that upper arm pain when running can be connected to your breathing and diaphragm. Unfortunately she did not elaborate or suggest a solution, but perhaps it is worth investigating further.
  • TARGET65K
    TARGET65K Posts: 150 Member
    M
    rsclause wrote: »
    Now that I know it is running related I will pay close attention to form and posture and will also try some stretching movements. I am not a very good go to the doctor person. I am 56 and when asked the last time I went to the doctor I had to reply for a High School physical. I will get some new shoes and more observations before I make a trip to the doctor. I am still perplexed that when I was running 30 miles a week I had no trouble but at 15 to 20 miles a week I have this pain. Thanks for all the help and ideas. I am just thankful I have at least a catalyst or cause to focus on instead of thinking I am in the early stages of something else. I will also try to add some strength training (Nautilus machines) to see if that helps. Hoping to run again in the morning, I love it.
    My father never went to a doctor, he died at 59 years of age. Go to a doctor.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,731 Member
    rsclause wrote: »
    vespiquenn wrote: »
    rsclause wrote: »
    She thinks it is a nerve impairment. I am not so sure because the pain "feels" muscular. Tomorrow when I run I am going to move my arm around like I have a disorder.

    So why post here if your wife can fix it?

    This. If it continues, it's time to suck it up and go to a sports doctor. Rather than *kitten* around and potentially doing lifetime damage, get it fixed now. I never understood the "I'm not a doctor person." I'd rather give myself a fighting chance with a professional than prolong treatment and be out an activity I enjoy.

    Wife can't fix but just knows what symptoms are caused by many health issues, good but not foolproof. I posted here to see if anybody else has ever had this happen.

    Not a doctor phobia but I do dislike the habit of resorting to drugs first before a lifestyle change. First its a perscription followed by a side effect and another prescription. I do agree when it is serious I am not going to BS around and hope it gets better without going to the doctor.

    It's been nearly 4 weeks, so.....?