Frusturated beyond belief

Options

Replies

• pinksparklefairy
    pinksparklefairy Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    How often do you eat out with friends? Restaurant food can contain a surprising amounts of calories!

I have similar stats to yours. I eat back all the calories my fitbit tells me to and I am not losing as fast as I would like, but it's about 1 pound a week averaged out.

I don't do much exercise at the moment but am moderately active so end up with about 1500 calories per day (sometimes 1200 on lazy days).
  • coolcoci_115
    coolcoci_115 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    fidycixer wrote: »
    How's your sleep? And how are your general stress levels. Cortisol is a weight loss killer. Lack of proper sleep and too much stress will cause this hormone to negate a lot of your weight loss efforts. I hit a lot of plateaus (even in a deficit) and sleep was a major contributor. I changed my sleep patterns (along with my workout time) and it made a significant difference and put me back on track. Just a thought. May not be the answer, but throwing it out there.

I usually get about 7 hours of sleep for me, which if I let me body sleep without an alarm is just enough to feel rested (between 7-8 hours). Sometimes I'll get less because of work (random night shift), or going out. As for stress level, I am more stressed out about weight loss rather than anything else going on
  • coolcoci_115
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    So you went to the gym 5x last week and have continued to remain aware in your diet and logging. We should all love to mess up like that! :)

Your size 2 friend - I used to think about that sort of thing here and there. Then I realized, they've spent a lifetime building the habits that have them at their current size, and I'm basically here playing catch up. Maybe they've worked very hard too, and it's simply been done and maintained over a much longer period.

I feel guilty the moment I stray from my intended diet/exercise plan and feel like I've ruined my progress for days to come. Mostly because that is exactly what happens. I eat out, see the scale jump 1-2 pounds and stay there for the remainder of the week.

As to my friend and comparing, yes not good, but also the size 2 was not built on good habits but her natural body which was a size 0 before and now she has gained weight and is "chubby".
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    I was that size 2 practically my whole adult life. I ate what i wanted and NEVER exercised, i didnt pay attention to calories, nor did i care. I also put on a fair amount of weight when i was pregnant with both of my kids, which effortlessly melted off quickly when they were born.

This all worked for me, until it didn't. .. I started gaining weight at around age 40, and now i have to count and log every *kitten* calorie that passes my lips.

I'm not really sure what my point is lol other than things eventually even out for us ALL. You do you, and stop comparing yourself to everyone else.
  • coolcoci_115
    Options
    I was that size 2 practically my whole adult life. I ate what i wanted and NEVER exercised, i didnt pay attention to calories, nor did i care. I also put on a fair amount of weight when i was pregnant with both of my kids, which effortlessly melted off quickly when they were born.

This all worked for me, until it didn't. .. I started gaining weight at around age 40, and now i have to count and log every *kitten* calorie that passes my lips.

I'm not really sure what my point is lol other than things eventually even out for us ALL. You do you, and stop comparing yourself to everyone else.

I hope this does not come across as being bitter, but I wouldn't call that "evening out". I'm 25 years old and have never known a day of normal weight in my adult or teenage life. I never binged, purged, or had an unhealthy relationship with food. I've always been conscious that I did not over eat in front of others because I was ALWAYS the big one in the group. And looking at the woman in my family, I know when I'm older this will only get worse/harder.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options

I hope this does not come across as being bitter, but I wouldn't call that "evening out". I'm 25 years old and have never known a day of normal weight in my adult or teenage life. I never binged, purged, or had an unhealthy relationship with food. I've always been conscious that I did not over eat in front of others because I was ALWAYS the big one in the group. And looking at the woman in my family, I know when I'm older this will only get worse/harder.

Fair enough, and i completely understand. Teens and young adults should not have the burden of struggling with weight and suffering through weight loss. These are supposed to be happy carefree days with happy memories.

My best friend through my childhood and teenage years was overweight the whole time (and still is), and it preoccupied so much of her time and thoughts. Dating was never really entertained because of her body insecurities.

Reading your post reminded me of her. I think you sound normal and what most people would think, not bitter at all.

• coolcoci_115
    Options
    My best friend through my childhood and teenage years was overweight the whole time (and still is), and it preoccupied so much of her time and thoughts. Dating was never really entertained because of her body insecurities.

^ This... If I could lose weight for the amount of time I've spent thinking about my weight, and the tears shed in the fitting room I would be non-existent. I used to love swimming when I was a young child, and I've dreaded the days someone asks to go to the beach. I have not owned a pair of shorts as an adult. It doesn't matter if it's a 100 degrees and I'm sweating bucket, I will still pull on those stifling jeans. Those constricting body shapers goes under every skirt or dress. And dating... well let's just say that that is an activity that others partake in, not me
  • ZazieMFP
    ZazieMFP Posts: 25 Member
    Options
    Are you logging those "hiccups"? I went through your diary (quickly, admittedly) and did not find any of those.
    But maybe I missed it.

A meal larger than usual can add easily 1000 calories to your regular diet. Divided by 7 , that's approx. 140 per day for the entire week.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    I weigh afterwards because I'm cooking in large batches rather than individual portions and will store the remainder in the fridge otherwise would just stick to raw weight.

What is it that you are making that you feel you need to weigh it before and after? If I make a recipe with many ingredients, then I do a recipe calculator for it, and calc the nutrition for the whole thing, and servings. If I just cook say, chicken, then there is no need to weigh after - I simply weigh for cooked chicken.
    As an update I messed up yesterday :( I didn't go to the gym and ended up eating out and having tiaramisu for dinner (it was delicious). Weight went up this morning by 1.6 pounds overnight. Yes this is definitely not accurate, and has to do with water retention and all the salted peanuts I had before bed while watching the Oscars. But from experience I know this will take forever to go back down. Also my goal was to hit the gym 6 times in the last week and only went 5.

I agree - the salty thing does take a couple of days to recover from. It sucks, but it is what it is. That's a really good incentive to NOT do it in the first place. Remember that next time. ;)

Missing the gym one night won't make much difference - so don't worry about that. :)

Keep at it. It does take an effort - it really does. But it will be worth it!!

• cypridae
    cypridae Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I've struggled over the years too.But one of the things I've learned is NOT to avoid fat.You need some fat in your diet.I notice you said your food was prepped without any additional fats.An evening snack of a whole grain cracker,plus about a teaspoon of peanut butter might help. I know it helped me to add a little fat to my life.I generally don't eat fried foods so they're not a problem,but I do use mostly olive oil.It can't hurt to try it for a couple of weeks.
  • MelodyandBarbells
    MelodyandBarbells Posts: 7,725 Member
    Options
    JaneiR36 wrote: »
    So you went to the gym 5x last week and have continued to remain aware in your diet and logging. We should all love to mess up like that! :)

Your size 2 friend - I used to think about that sort of thing here and there. Then I realized, they've spent a lifetime building the habits that have them at their current size, and I'm basically here playing catch up. Maybe they've worked very hard too, and it's simply been done and maintained over a much longer period.

I feel guilty the moment I stray from my intended diet/exercise plan and feel like I've ruined my progress for days to come. Mostly because that is exactly what happens. I eat out, see the scale jump 1-2 pounds and stay there for the remainder of the week.

As to my friend and comparing, yes not good, but also the size 2 was not built on good habits but her natural body which was a size 0 before and now she has gained weight and is "chubby".

Hmm. It's definitely different since we're talking about childhood and teenage years. For me, as an adult, I think back to the years I spent not exercising, to when I ate whatever I wanted when people said, hey that pizza / cream cheese / milk shake will make you fat. They may have been oversimplifying, but in my case what they all had in common was these people who were my age a decade or more ago were already conscious about limiting calories and not downing calorie bombs on a regular basis. How much earlier than even that long ago, did they build those habits, and who helped them do it? *sigh* who knows.

I can understand it's legit more frustrating when you didn't go the calorie bomb route but in hindsight maybe just a couple hundred more calories per day over X years, and voila! Need to lose weight. Sucks.
  • DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I am 5'10", 87kg and reasonably active. I weigh and record everything and don't "sometimes eat out with friends" etc unless it fits in my calorie limit. My goal is 70kg. So 17kg or roughly 34lbs left to go - not as close to goal as you are. I can't lose weight on 1700 cals a day, it wasn't until I dropped down to 1450 that I started losing again, and slowly. I'm guessing if you're shorter than me, and closer to goal, it's just possible that you are not at enough of a deficit - either by incorrect recording in your diary or you're eating at close to your maintenance calories. Everyone's different and those calculators are a guide only - a starting point. YOu have to tweak it until you find what works.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    Also, Op, I took a peek at your diary, and you've not been logging everything. And where are those peanuts on Sunday night? Not trying to bust you here, but just want to really press the point that if you don't make yourself log every single thing, it is really easy, mentally, to allow yourself to grab another handful of something without too much guilt...until afterwards you realize what you did. I know...I am a snack-food queen - so I log ALL DAY LONG. Everything.

Please get into the habit of logging every morsel. It really will help you.
  • coolcoci_115
    Options
    Update after Week 3:

So it's been 3 weeks of starting more intense exercise regimen and my diet as outlined above. Over the last weekend (Friday, Sat, Sun) I have completely fallen off all diet/exercise plan as I had family in town. I tried to record what I can, some of things I just don't even know the ingredients and I missed two gym days (Sunday is rest day). I probably ate upwards of 2500 calories on Friday & Saturday, maybe 1500 Sunday (burger + fries + dessert only meal that day). In addition to not losing any weight in the past 3 weeks, the scale has read 3 pounds since Friday morning.

Fri - 160.8 lbs
    Sat - 163.2 lbs
    Sun - 165.0 lbs
    Mon - 163.4 lbs

We shall see how much of this is due to water retention over the next day or so. But part of me was hoping I was one of those people who paradoxically increase their calories and see weight loss. It looks like this is not the case. I'm now even more at a loss. I've been entertaining what additional changes I need to make. Tracking water intake? Changing to a ketogenic diet? Separating cardio and strength training (I'm not sure I can find time to this)? Drop my calories to 1200 seeing as maybe 1500-1600 is maintenance for me? Screw weight loss and just try to increase fitness?

I'm tired, mentally exhausted. I feel like I'm just stuck with this body. 30+% body fat. I just wanted to get to a normal size by summer time (June) so I'm not running away from the beach and vacations. Is this really supposed to be so hard at my age?

I will continue to exercise and just go back to my meal plan mostly because all the food is already prepared anyways but I just have no more expectations anymore.
  • WinoGelato
    WinoGelato Posts: 13,454 Member
    Options
    Initial observations after reading through this thread:

OP - I'm not sure your expectations are reasonable. Aiming for 25% deficit from TDEE is too aggressive for the amount of weight you have to lose. Comparing yourself to a size 2 friend is not going to do anything but create additional frustration for you. Continuing to cut calories because you aren't getting the results you are looking for, when you are exercising strenuously and doing quite a bit of strength training shows that maybe your efforts are not aligned with your goals.

Take a deep breath, take a step back, and make sure that your goals are reasonable, healthy (body and mind), and achievable. Once you've confirmed what your goals are (is it a certain weight? a certain clothing size? a certain body fat percentage? something less tangible like a certain body aesthetic when you put on a swimsuit? then you can establish an appropriate calorie target, macro split, and fitness routine to help achieve that goal.

Right now it sort of seems like you are bouncing around out of sheer frustration and that's usually not going to take you anywhere but down a path of more frustration.

Good luck - and try to appreciate the success you have had!
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Update after Week 3:

So it's been 3 weeks of starting more intense exercise regimen and my diet as outlined above. Over the last weekend (Friday, Sat, Sun) I have completely fallen off all diet/exercise plan as I had family in town. I tried to record what I can, some of things I just don't even know the ingredients and I missed two gym days (Sunday is rest day). I probably ate upwards of 2500 calories on Friday & Saturday, maybe 1500 Sunday (burger + fries + dessert only meal that day). In addition to not losing any weight in the past 3 weeks, the scale has read 3 pounds since Friday morning.

Fri - 160.8 lbs
    Sat - 163.2 lbs
    Sun - 165.0 lbs
    Mon - 163.4 lbs

We shall see how much of this is due to water retention over the next day or so. But part of me was hoping I was one of those people who paradoxically increase their calories and see weight loss. It looks like this is not the case. I'm now even more at a loss. I've been entertaining what additional changes I need to make. Tracking water intake? Changing to a ketogenic diet? Separating cardio and strength training (I'm not sure I can find time to this)? Drop my calories to 1200 seeing as maybe 1500-1600 is maintenance for me? Screw weight loss and just try to increase fitness?

I'm tired, mentally exhausted. I feel like I'm just stuck with this body. 30+% body fat. I just wanted to get to a normal size by summer time (June) so I'm not running away from the beach and vacations. Is this really supposed to be so hard at my age?

I will continue to exercise and just go back to my meal plan mostly because all the food is already prepared anyways but I just have no more expectations anymore.

It may help to talk to a counselor. It sounds like you have a warped view of normal. 30% body fat is average. I know when I go to the beach I don't judge everyone on their looks. I don't care. I'm there to have fun.

Be a little easier on yourself. You are within a healthy weight range and it's hard to loose when you are.
  • bagge72
    bagge72 Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Sorry I haven't read the whole OP post yet, but... "I am at a loss for what else I can do. I have been at this weight loss thing on and off for the past 1.5 years now and no matter how many times I throw my all into it and try to do everything right I don't see the results I expect"

If you have been on and off for a year and a half you haven't thrown your all into it yet.

Ok, I'll go read the rest, and see the part I missed that makes me look like an idiot!
  • cross2bear
    cross2bear Posts: 1,106 Member
    Options
    "And you know what. IDGAF what I look like on the beach because wahoo I'm on the beach and it's warm and lovely. The first 5 minutes after I strip down I may feel little self conscious, then you notice nobody is looking at you as they're too absorbed in their own fun.

It's a total waste of time and energy hating yourself and I strongly believe you can doom yourself to failure trying to hate yourself to being the person you want to be. "

I cant stress enough how important it is to get this into your head. There will ALWAYS be someone who is younger, pretty, healthier, smarter, happier, richer, taller, etc - and they dont give a red rats *kitten* about you and your issues. Just be you and focus on what you can do to improve yourself without comparing to anyone else.