Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Skinny vs fit

Options

Replies

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    Options
    Bella954 wrote: »
    Thick fit

Not sure why, but I absolutely hate this phrase.

Kinda the same as "dad bod", innit? :)
  • fbchick51
    fbchick51 Posts: 240 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    Thick fit ...is what I'm aiming for like that "plus size" sports illustrated girl

What the *kitten* is Thick fit? And how is that an ok term to call someone?

Before my last weight gain, Thick fit was probably the best description for me. My weight bounced between 175 and 180lbs. I competed in sprint triathlons and generally came in the top 30%. I played full tackle football (ironman style). In 8 years of playing, I had 2 sprain ankles, 1 dislocated finger and one case of bursitis in my shoulder from a bad fall, even with my positions being Running back and middle linebacker (also played on every special team). I could bench press my weight, my squat max was about 275lbs and dead lift was at around 350lbs. I loved hitting a bikram yoga class twice a week and had no issue hitting all the poses.

I also actually had a healthy waist to hip ratio, blood pressure was on the low side of the healthy range, cholesterol levels were perfect, resting heart rate in the athletic range. Heck, even my body fat composition was still considered average at 28% (hydro static tested). But my BMI still had me sitting at the high end of overweight and I still wore a size 14.

msf74 wrote: »

Fit to me is having a good level of aerobic / anaerobic conditioning, sufficient strength and mobility to deal with the activities of daily living with ease while minimizing the risk of injury.

This is my definition as well. It's also my main goal on my journey. I don't really care how much weight I lose or how skinny I get. I just wanna get back to doing all those crazy active things I used to do and not wake up feeling like I got hit by a mack truck the next morning.

• AnvilHead
    AnvilHead Posts: 18,344 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    BodyByBex wrote: »
    I'm more of a Michelle Lewin fan myself.
    r1af9nabw7ng.jpg

Never heard of her before, but I think I just became a Michelle Lewin fan myself.
  • hedgiie
    hedgiie Posts: 1,245 Member
    Options
    i was in a gathering of dancers, they all have great bodies and relatively attractive faces but the one that separates those real attractive ones will depend on their maturity, gracefulness, and overall outlook in life.
  • mgalsf12
    mgalsf12 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    To me a fit body is very sexy. A skinny body is just...meh, skinny.
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Lots of things can make someone attractive. And different people will like/prefer different things. I do think fit (depending on how you define that because it's such a subject term) is the prevailing trend right now, but I'm probably biased because I typically run in more fitness oriented circles.
  • gamerbabe14
    gamerbabe14 Posts: 876 Member
    Options
    Life's a *kitten* and then you die. That's all I know.
  • WorkerDrone83
    WorkerDrone83 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    Skinny vs fit? That's like peanut butter vs jelly. Milli vs Vanilli. Why can't we have both?
  • jjpptt2
    jjpptt2 Posts: 5,650 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    Thick fit ...is what I'm aiming for like that "plus size" sports illustrated girl

What the *kitten* is Thick fit? And how is that an ok term to call someone?

Because it's better than calling someone "fat" or "overweight"??? Seems like there are 100 terms now that mean similar but are more politically correct?

*confused*
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    Options
    Forget politically correct. I get so tired of having to be careful with words because it might offend someone. Now, for sure not going to go out and be rude and disrespectful intentionally. Absolutely not. But if there is an "opinion" question then I am going to voice my opinion and if someone is offended - and I feel like I stated things correctly and properly - then too bad!

Having said all that........

What looks good to one person may or may not look good to someone else. We are all different. We all like different things. I like Sweet Potatoe Pie and my brother likes Pumpkin Pie. Give one of us the wrong one and we will *NOT* be happy campers.

I have - with one exception - dated very fit and athletic women. But the one who did not look like all of the others was the one I would be with in a heartbeat. She was - BY FAR - the most attractive. To me! There is so much more than the physical. Yes, a nice butt and great hamstrings will definitely get my attention. But, does she keep my attention? With her personality (yes, I went there)? With her smile? With the sparkle in her eyes? With her laugh? With the way she moves? Her confidence? And, our chemsitry. Sometimes the "hawt chick" and you click. Sometimes it is her goofy friend that was for some reason catches your eye and BAM! You never know.

But, fit vs. skinny is the question. We have all *kinda* digressed from that.

I think that there is a somewhat accepted notion of what "skinny" is and of what "fit" is. Will it vary from person to person? Of course. But, generally speaking, I think that we all know the difference. We are - and here I go again - too worried about saying the wrong thing so we all temper what we say. Just my experience and my opinion.

I stick with "be respectful but be honest....and do not be intentionally mean or hurtful".
  • peaceout_aly
    peaceout_aly Posts: 2,018 Member
    Options
    It's all relative. Different people have different ideals of beauty. For myself personally, I consider myself most beautiful when I'm lifting - I feel strong, empowered and although some may consider my legs large and waist not tiny enough, I love my body. However this does NOT mean that I judge anyone else if they are not *fit*. I think thin, skinny, curvy, tall, broad...all look good on other people. I know girls who are bigger and carry themselves better than I could ever carry myself. They look gorgeous and confident and beautiful in every way. It's all relative.
  • LiftHeavyThings27105
    LiftHeavyThings27105 Posts: 2,086 Member
    edited September 2017
    Options
    @peaceout_aly ...... well said. And, agreed. I think that it is so very awesome that YOU feel strong and empowered....regardless of what others might think. That is the true essence of confidence and beauty!
  • Need2Exerc1se
    Need2Exerc1se Posts: 13,576 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    This is what I lean towards...

giphy.gif

I am pretty sure every guy leans toward that, as well as lots of women! lol

Nah...like I said in my post, my best friend likes his women rail thin...no curves, no muscles, etc. Michelle here would be too "big" for his tastes...clavicles aren't sticking out.

Yeah, I had a guy friend that liked his women rail thin. Most of his girlfriends look anorexic to me (and at least one actually was).
  • SezxyStef
    SezxyStef Posts: 15,268 Member
    Options
    nomorepuke wrote: »
    Runway models used to define what sexy was. Not anymore. Petite and fit girls who show off their booty and boobies are the new sexy

no they never did...not for the viewer anyway.

For example most men I know care more about confidence not what we "show" and trust me showing your *kitten* doesn't make you confident so petite fit girls who show it all aren't any more attractive.

Maybe to other girls (not girls not women)

Sexy is about how you carry yourself not weight or what you can show the world.
  • shaunshaikh
    shaunshaikh Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. There are as many different tastes in body styles and types as there are people. I try to just focus on being healthy and let the rest work itself out.