Welcome to Debate Club! Please be aware that this is a space for respectful debate, and that your ideas will be challenged here. Please remember to critique the argument, not the author.

Skinny vs fit

Options

Replies

• breannemarie1993
    breannemarie1993 Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    Agree with so many people, confidence is the new sexy.
  • Macy9336
    Macy9336 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    It's funny that fit is trending again and a lot of younger people think it's a brand new thing. It kicked off in the 80s and was really big in the 90s.
    But then it went too far and went to the heroin junkie look..ripped but thin...then gave up any concept of muscle and went to stick thin skinny complete with jutting ribs and knobby elbows. Recently we've added plus size. Now more and more people are noticing that the "diversity" beauty campaigns have skinny girls and big girls, but no in between fit girls. So the in between fit look is coming back. But anyway, insofar as attractiveness it's not skinny vs fit, or confidence, but rather healthiness. I've seen fit people that were unhealthy looking...steroids...tanned within an inch of skin cancer..etc...not my cup of tea. Then I've seen really unhealthy people that act like Gods gift to whoever...still not attractive no matter how confident. I am attracted to people who are simply healthy looking....they don't need to be skinny or super fit.
  • RonnieTiajuana
    RonnieTiajuana Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    This is what I lean towards...

giphy.gif

I am pretty sure every guy leans toward that, as well as lots of women! lol

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    This is what I lean towards...

giphy.gif

I am pretty sure every guy leans toward that, as well as lots of women! lol

Nah...like I said in my post, my best friend likes his women rail thin...no curves, no muscles, etc. Michelle here would be too "big" for his tastes...clavicles aren't sticking out.
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    I think attractiveness is personal.
    These days I appreciate people more who do not all look alike... people who look like the best healthy version of themselves. I am bored by people who look like the flavor of the day celebrity or model.
    I think I focus more on faces, personality, happiness and confidence at this point in life. Those things make people more attractive to me than their age, height, weight, exact body proportions.
    A genuine big warm smile is the most attractive feature I think.
  • kinesiologic
    kinesiologic Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Is fit really the new skinny? Everyone is beautiful in their own way but I just am curious as to what's more attractive these days

Well, that's what they say ... But if you look at most of the marketing/media around it, it's more like "skinny + toned is the new skinny" ... So it's not enough to be slim any more; you must also squat dat booty. (Just check out the popular Instagram fitness pages ...)

Any Kinesiology student will tell you fitness is different than fatness. It's too bad more of the popular media doesn't show it.

• jamocha101
    jamocha101 Posts: 20 Member
    Options
    No, skinny is the new skinny. Cultural obsession with thinness, especially with the commodity of eating disorders, will never go out of style or "get replaced."

I have a disordered mentality and would gladly take an unhealthy level of thinness over peak fitness, even though I know rationally that the latter is likely healthier (not to say that there's no such thing as an unhealthy level of fitness obsession), but right now I'm in a situation where the former is not an option. I largely feel the way I feel because thinness is so glorified in such a strange, ingratiated, illogical way.

Like sometimes I swear people make out unhealthy thinness to somehow be more admirable than being fit.
  • saintor1
    saintor1 Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I prefer skinny, with a low bodyfat %. Always more attractive in my book.
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    Bella954 wrote: »
    Thick fit ...is what I'm aiming for like that "plus size" sports illustrated girl

What the *kitten* is Thick fit? And how is that an ok term to call someone?
  • msf74
    msf74 Posts: 3,498 Member
    Options
    Is fit really the new skinny?

In a marketing sense? Probably as it is simply an excuse to promote a certain "look" to flog crap that most people don't need.

Fit to me is having a good level of aerobic / anaerobic conditioning, sufficient strength and mobility to deal with the activities of daily living with ease while minimising the risk of injury.

The way that makes me end up looking is secondary.
  • Gimsteinn
    Options
    @msf74 wrote: »
    Fit to me is having a good level of aerobic / anaerobic conditioning, sufficient strength and mobility to deal with the activities of daily living with ease while minimising the risk of injury.

I'm willing to bet that you do crossfit lol
  • msf74
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »

How very dare you!

No, I am a little more old school and do separate activities - running/cycling & weights. I do need to work on my mobility though as I am bit of an old duffer now ;)
  • Gimsteinn
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

How very dare you!

No, I am a little more old school and do separate activities - running/cycling & weights. I do need to work on my mobility though as I am bit of an old duffer now ;)

haha sorry... I've only heard crossfitters (i'm one) say that and they say it with similar words ;)
  • msf74
    Options
    msf74 wrote: »

How very dare you!

haha sorry... I've only heard crossfitters (i'm one) say that and they say it with similar words ;)

Pffft, kids these days.

No worries.
  • BodyByBex
    BodyByBex Posts: 3,685 Member
    edited March 2017
    Options
    Bella954 wrote: »
    Thick fit ...is what I'm aiming for like that "plus size" sports illustrated girl
    Ashley Graham? I was there at about 180-190 pounds. 6gejxc06ziph.jpg

I'm more of a Michelle Lewin fan myself.
    r1af9nabw7ng.jpg

• perkymommy
    perkymommy Posts: 1,642 Member
    Options
    I've been very skinny in past years and not fit just I am now overweight and not fit. I think you can be unfit at any weight.