Fitbits - waste or worth it?

Options

Replies

• LadyLilion
    LadyLilion Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    I originally had a Jawbone. I really liked it at first and it actually has a better app than fitbit in my opinion. I thought I'd like it better because it had a battery and I wouldn't have to bother recharging all the time. Also, it was cheap and I wanted to be sure I'd wear it before I spent a lot of money. Then the battery died and I never replaced it. So, that didn't work out as planned.

I recently (March 5) got a Charge 2. I like it. I kind of wish I'd have waited and got the Alta HR because of the look. I prefer the smaller, more dainty look. But that said, I find it very motivating. My job is incredibly sedentary. Literally, I've had days where I only got out of my desk chair 3 times: coffee and bathroom mid-morning, lunch, and bathroom break in the afternoon. Now it reminds me to get off my butt and walk and tells me if I've done at least 250 steps each hour. I walk at lunch and it counts my hour. I measure my other activity too. I make a concerted effort to reach my step goal each day. It's worth it to me.
  • whitpauly
    whitpauly Posts: 1,483 Member
    Options
    Fitbit freak here! I've had the same flex for almost 3 years,I like it cuz I can change bands to match my clothes, also I still use it for sleep cuz I can tap it into sleep mode,I have a charge hr my daughter got me for Christmas and I usually wear it throughout the day
  • maybebeccadough
    maybebeccadough Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I got a fitbit blaze not too long after it came out I believe, and have had no issues with it other than the band slowly stretching (not surprising due to the material, and can be replaced, but not needed to yet). I find the features to be more than I need but lovely all the same, and there are ~quarterly updates to the firmware. It's comfortable to sleep with, gives me numbers and reminders to move every hour, just all around I enjoy it a lot.

I've dropped it, smashed it into things, and haven't broken it, so I ain't mad at the durability either.
  • don9992
    don9992 Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I use a Polar A300 which isn't the most stylish thing around but it both tracks my steps and, used with their H7 HRM, can log and upload cardio workouts. I'm very satisfied with that combination.
  • 4legsRbetterthan2
    4legsRbetterthan2 Posts: 19,590 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I use a fitbit one, so no fancy hr just steps. I found it useful to get a general idea of my TDEE. I found it a bit eye opening at first because there were certain activities I thought I moved alot, and they were lower than I would have though in steps, and other things I never really thought about gave me lots, so it just gave me better idea of where I burn my calories.

As for accuracy, I personally found that if I track with MFP as accurately as I can my weight loss was pretty close to my deficit measured compared to my fitbit readings, so that made me think it was pretty accurate, maybe a little low for me. As I said though, the one only measures steps so non step based activity it cant account for very well so I account the slightly low estimate to that.
  • ekritter7
    ekritter7 Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Mine has totally been worth it. It's a great way to stay motivated. Not sure that something as expensive as Fitbit was necessary though. A misfit may have been a more cost effective choice
  • dojero22
    dojero22 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    Love my Fitbit charge 2! I initially bought it to track my pulse as I have been having problems with chest pain. I also track steps but you can do so much more. Track calories burned and when you are actually burning them. Tracks stairs, running, cardio, biking. Has a stop watch and reminders to keep moving. Also a deep breathing exercise it walks u through. Well worth the $$. I sync it with MFP too.
  • inertiastrength
    inertiastrength Posts: 2,343 Member
    Options
    I rewarded myself with a FitBit when I lost the first 15lbs and while it's a luxury I can definitely live without, I love seeing how active (or not) I am and it serves as a gentle reminder to stop being lazy when I have 3500 step days (yes, they happen lol) I love mine!
  • trinityskyyy
    trinityskyyy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    Bluwaves1 wrote: »
    I have used one for a month now and it really is good to look back to see how your week was, how much sleep you got, your resting pulse etc. you can see improvement in the numbers. unfortunately the place where I work just banned them so I probably won't use it because the 40 hour gap will make it kind of useless. But I would recommend it to anyone, just make sure you can use them at work first before buying.

Can't believe a workplace would ban them! Workplaces should be encouraging physical fitness no matter what kind of job you do. I would take this further. That's crazy!! It's not like it would be distracting, there's not enough stuff on it to distract anyone.
  • trinityskyyy
    trinityskyyy Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I have a Charge HR. I love it. I get a fairly decent about of exercise but this little device pushes me farther to meet my step goal and stair goal. I have family members much younger than me and we have challenges so I love to try to beat them. It's a lot of fun teasing and taunting each other. My dog often gets extra long walks helping me try to win the competition. I would buy it for sure and find some friends to add on to it. I hate that the arm I wear it on doesn't get any other jewellery and I hate that it's rubber sometimes not that comfortable, but for my health I will do anything and when it's fun that's even better!
  • firead
    firead Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    Can't believe a workplace would ban them! Workplaces should be encouraging physical fitness no matter what kind of job you do. I would take this further. That's crazy!! It's not like it would be distracting, there's not enough stuff on it to distract anyone.

Some workplaces ban any kind of smartwatch or connected device because of security concerns. My previous employer did this because we worked with sensitive data, but they still allowed the non-smartwatch types that only tracked steps & such and didn't connect to the internet.

And, to answer the original question, I love my fitbit. I've had a few because i have a bad habit of sending the One through the washer & dryer and killing it, so I am getting ready to switch over to an Alta HR. It may not be the most accurate, but it does give me a baseline of how active I am and encourages me to be more active throughout the day.
  • menotyou56
    menotyou56 Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    TBH, I would save my money and go to the gym more. Tracking calories and carbs in my case is far more important than how many steps I get today.
  • HazyEyes93
    HazyEyes93 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    It ended up being a waste for me because I have a very active job and it was a pain to try to keep it clean and not smash it. I eventually just stopped wearing it. I may eventually use it to track exercise or sale it. Idk yet lol
  • Cheesy567
    Cheesy567 Posts: 1,186 Member
    Options
    I use the Fitbit One to track my steps. I prefer it to a wrist-worn monitor as it's more accurate for me (wrist-worn activity monitors grossly overestimated my activity, often doubling or tripling my "step count" erroneously). I've had it for two years, it's still going strong and holds its battery charge for almost a week yet.

When it dies I'll probably get the Zip. The One's sleep and stairs functions are terribly inaccurate and not worth the extra money.
  • sbrownallison
    sbrownallison Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    I have used various models of Fitbit for three years or more, currently wearing the Charge 2. I have never had any trouble with any of them and find them to be highly reliable. As others have stated, the device provides motivation, as well as a good understanding of what it tales to achieve one's movement goals. Apart from the device itself, the mobile app gives one additional data about sleep, active minutes, etc.
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    I have used one for a month now and it really is good to look back to see how your week was, how much sleep you got, your resting pulse etc. you can see improvement in the numbers. unfortunately the place where I work just banned them so I probably won't use it because the 40 hour gap will make it kind of useless. But I would recommend it to anyone, just make sure you can use them at work first before buying.

Some ban all smart watches for electronic reasons or to stop people from receiving personal messages or calls.
  • jpoehls9025
    jpoehls9025 Posts: 471 Member
    Options
    OP,
    I dont have a FITBIT but a Tom Tom Spark 3+ Cardio HR monitor ( chest strap). I love it because I love telemetry. Tracking all facets for me really has made a difference in my overall physical performance and "look". Its not for everyone by all means if you cant afford it, its not necessary no. But it keeps me motivated if I want to break diet or not workout because I get a streak of lazy in the day time I have that constant reminder on my wrist at all times. It Totally keeps me going strong.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    My fitbit has helped me not to undereat on particularly active days which is helpful since I'm trying to gain muscle. However, I'm trying to wean myself off of it because it aggravates my disordered eating. That being said if you don't have an eating disorder and are looking for fresh motivation I'd say go for it!
  • Grnhouse
    Grnhouse Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I have a used activity tracker I got for $20, I like wearing it but I don't stress out if I don't reach my daily goal like others do.
  • Psychgrrl
    Psychgrrl Posts: 3,177 Member
    Options

How can your workplace ban them?