How wide is your maintenance range?

Options
124»

Replies

• jen_092
    jen_092 Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I don't belong in maintenance threads but yet here I am :p mine will be 5 pounds either way.

I always weigh myself unclothed, first thing in the morning, which allows for a low weight. But whenever I get weighed at the doctor or anywhere else there's food in my stomach and clothes on. Usually up 5 pounds from that, and depending on scale calibration could be even more of a difference. So is it fair to even use my morning weight as my true weight?
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,838 Member
    Options
    jen_092 wrote: »
    I don't belong in maintenance threads but yet here I am :p mine will be 5 pounds either way.

I always weigh myself unclothed, first thing in the morning, which allows for a low weight. But whenever I get weighed at the doctor or anywhere else there's food in my stomach and clothes on. Usually up 5 pounds from that, and depending on scale calibration could be even more of a difference. So is it fair to even use my morning weight as my true weight?

There is no true weight, IMO. Our scale weight changes all the time - sweat, water consumption, sodium, TOM, exercise, food in digestive system, etc. Any consistent weighing time is sufficient guide to weight's direction, and first thing in the morning tends to be the most consistent of all, for most people.
  • divcara
    divcara Posts: 357 Member
    Options
    I fluctuate 4-6 pounds.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    Options
    3-5lbs - I have to say I prefer to be on the lower side of my maintenance weight than the upper so am vigilent about keeping there.
  • rainbow198
    rainbow198 Posts: 2,245 Member
    Options
    caramel827 wrote: »

Today I am ten pounds below goal weight. I never imagined I would be and thought I would struggle with gaining. It's an odd thing I continue to work on but because all my life I have struggled to lose weight 110 pounds later the notion that this would be difficult seemed foreign. But every day is a new day!

I know exactly what you mean! As someone who has spent most of her life not caring about calories, it feels so strange needing to gain weight from time to time.

I just got back from a nice trip and I lost 3 pounds! Lots of walking, exercise in the hotel's gym, I stayed in control with my eating, plus I was dehydrated, so I know my regular weight will return soon. But I'm not sure if I will ever get used to that needing to gain weight experience I get - especially in the summer.

By the way, congrats on your 110 pound lost and being 10 pounds under your goal! I'm so happy for you!
  • kgirlhart
    kgirlhart Posts: 5,019 Member
    Options
    caramel827 wrote: »
    Machka9 wrote: »
    As long as I'm within my normal BMI range, I'm reasonably happy. :)

However, I'm happier if I'm in the lower half of my BMI range.

My "normal" BMI is a range of 39 lbs! Once I hit maintenance I'm going to choose a smaller range of about 3-4 lbs. But honestly I don't see myself being in danger of going too low...

When I hit goal I gave myself a five pound range in the sense of never going higher than my goal weight and five pounds less at most.

Today I am ten pounds below goal weight. I never imagined I would be and thought I would struggle with gaining. It's an odd thing I continue to work on but because all my life I have struggled to lose weight 110 pounds later the notion that this would be difficult seemed foreign. But every day is a new day!

The same thing has happened to me. I am also 10 pounds below my original goal. I think my activity has increased so much that I just burn a lot more calories than I did before. It is definitely strange to be counting calories to make sure you are eating enough instead of making sure you aren't eating too much.
  • Spencerport
    Spencerport Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    My happy weight is 195lbs, I try to maintain +/- 5lbs. Have been successful since last August.
  • lilawolf
    lilawolf Posts: 1,690 Member
    Options
    I use Libra and it tracks weight trend, and smooths out daily fluctuations for me.
    +/-2, start eating more mindfully. Add or subtract a snack, adjust one of my meals to slightly lower/higher cals, add or subtract a walk etc.
    +/-5, start logging everything again.
  • richardgavel
    richardgavel Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options
    I figure a 2 lb range, but I don't base that on actual weight. Rather, I look at the trend and average out the water weight up and down spikes. To me, those data points actual value are irrelevant.

On maintenance weight, I based it on BMI, though while I'm at ideal weight, I'm not at ideal body fat composition, so that's next task.
  • gradchica27
    gradchica27 Posts: 777 Member
    Options
    4-5 lbs.

But realistically I start adding more activity/tightening my logging after a week of +3. I can fluctuate up to 4lbs, but usually the bigger fluctuations start to decrease after a few days. If those +3 hang on a week, I'm ready to start tweaking things to get rid of them.
  • mrslcoop
    mrslcoop Posts: 317 Member
    Options
    I'm with most in that mine is small (5 lbs either way), but I won't/don't take action until I'm on average over my range for more than a week (and it's not my TOM). Everyone gets blips now and again. I mean... Chinese food? I'll gain a magical 4 lbs overnight that'll disappear after I drink some water the next day.
  • nvpixie
    nvpixie Posts: 483 Member
    Options
    Any more than 2 over and I watch my calories more closely until I'm back at goal weight. I rarely go under my goal weight by more than 2 or 3.
  • AmbitiousButRubbish
    AmbitiousButRubbish Posts: 246 Member
    Options
    I go between 175 and 180. If I see a number higher than 180 I usually try to be a bit better the following week to bring it back down.
  • IrisFlute
    IrisFlute Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Goal weight of 135, plus or minus 5. I reached my goal weight in Nov 2014, but this morning noticed that I was up to 141. Have embarked on a lean month to drop a few pounds before May and re-set my eating habits.
  • sparklydeer
    sparklydeer Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I'm in maintenance at the moment and my goal was originally 145, but I wasn't fully happy with my weight at that so I went down to 140. I've been around 140 for around the last year and a half and as long as my weight is within the 139-142 range I'm content and don't stress about it as It's bound to vary slightly! If I started to go above or below that range I'd make some changes.
  • dutchandkiwi
    dutchandkiwi Posts: 1,389 Member
    Options
    I have (arbitrarily) set mine to 3 kilos - 55-58 - around 6 pounds.
    Similar to mine 56-59 but action at 58. 58kg current weight so 2kg to go, not stopping until I hit 56.
    I figure that at 3kg range I have enough range for a lazy holiday if I'd ever have one again :smiley: