How many calories do you aim to burn at the gym per workout?

Options
fitbunny93
fitbunny93 Posts: 16 Member
edited February 2017 in Health and Weight Loss
Although I know the machines aren't entirely accurate, I'm curious to know if anyone has a calorie goal at the gym. Mine is 500 per workout. If there is no calorie goal, how long do you spend at the gym for a workout?

Replies

• lynn_glenmont
    lynn_glenmont Posts: 10,020 Member
    Options
    I spend the amount of time it takes to do my workout, whatever is scheduled for the day.
  • ritzvin
    ritzvin Posts: 2,860 Member
    Options
    fitbunny93 wrote: »
    Although I know the machines aren't entirely accurate, I'm curious to know if anyone has a calorie goal at the gym. Mine is 500 per workout. If there is no calorie goal, how long do you spend at the gym for a workout?

I get my cardio from running/cycling, so only do strength training at the gym - so ~nil for me on calories burned at the gym.

weight training is ~3 days/week. Usually as much time as the 2 of us have (1 of us usually has to be somewhere within 2 hours)...ideally until he decides I've worked the chosen muscles enough.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,238 Member
    Options
    I don't have a goal. I have fitness goals such and increasing the distance I cycle in a set amount of time, increasing my average cadence, lifting more weight, and the like. I really don't care what the calorie burn is since my weight loss is primarily based in a calorie deficit established by what I eat. The extra burn from exercise, is a bonus, but I don't shoot for anything specific with it.
  • ritzvin
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

I get my cardio from running/cycling, so only do strength training at the gym - so ~nil for me on calories burned at the gym.

weight training is ~3 days/week. Usually as much time as the 2 of us have (1 of us usually has to be somewhere within 2 hours)...ideally until he decides I've worked the chosen muscles enough.

(I do add it to MFP using an estimate of active time doing reps - which will be <100 calories usually).
  • ritzvin
    Options
    ritzvin wrote: »

running time: whatever is called for by the current training plan (this week included 2x 4 mile short runs, 1x 7 mile medium run, and 1x 12 mile long run...so ~40 minutes to 2+ hours). Cycling: whatever mileage that day's group ride is (typically 20-30 miles for a weekday evening ride).
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    No calorie burn goal. I just do the exercise.
    I exercise at home not a gym. Time spent varies. I have an hour scheduled for exercise but may do less.
  • shadow2soul
    shadow2soul Posts: 7,692 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to know if anyone has a calorie goal at the gym.

I do not.
    Mine is 500 per workout.

Holy poo. It would take me over an hour to get something like that.
    If there is no calorie goal, how long do you spend at the gym for a workout?

I go till my workout is finished. I am following a weight lifting program. It usually takes 35 mins to 1 hour (at most).
    If/When I do cardio in the gym I usually do Zombies,Run! and that keeps my mind occupied for the 30 or so mins of whatever brain numbing cardio machine I am using.

• briannasnyder12
    briannasnyder12 Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    I typically spend 55 minutes strength training and 25 minutes running afterward. In general, I estimate that I burn approximately 550 calories doing so, given that I tend to lose weight if I don't consistently eat 2000 (or so) calories
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    No calorie goal.

Between 45 - 70 mins
  • livingleanlivingclean
    livingleanlivingclean Posts: 11,751 Member
    Options
    No calorie goal. I just go in and train as hard as I can. I leave when I'm done.
  • gracemaryx
    gracemaryx Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I don't count calories when I work out or else I won't enjoy it. I do whatever workout is scheduled for that day - usually weight training, go my hardest and heaviest and leave. Usually about 45min-1hour from start of lifting to end of lifting (depending on how long I spend standing there deciding which song to put on next :D )
  • __TMac__
    __TMac__ Posts: 1,665 Member
    Options
    I do my planned workout, which often takes me to about 500. If it's a light day, I'll then walk or bike until I hit the 500. I prefer to be able to plan for a similar calorie intake each day.
  • VintageFeline
    VintageFeline Posts: 6,771 Member
    Options
    Same as everyone else, do my planned workout, the calories fall where they will. I can hit about 400 for an hour if it's quite intense. But you're lucky if I'm focused enough to do an hour!
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I usually aim for over 1,000, if I have time.
  • AFGP11
    AFGP11 Posts: 142 Member
    Options
    Generally my workout is between 600 and 700 calories. I lift heavy and run three times a week each. I don't aim for a particular goal, but since I'm doing a program it is generally close each time. As I get smaller, I will burn less calories but it will be relative to my size.
  • dustedwithsugar
    dustedwithsugar Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I only have calorie goal for cardio, which I usually do if I want extra calories for dinner (or chocolate after dinner). Usually I aim to burn around 300. For strength training, whatever I burn is fine. Fitbit is not very accurate with calorie from strength training anyway.
  • Chunkahlunkah
    Chunkahlunkah Posts: 373 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm working up to a goal of burning 100-200 calories every single day through deliberate exercise. My numbers are so pitiful. :D I'm recovering from anemia. It's taken my hemoglobin and iron levels a long time to raise. They're still not "normal" but they're good enough that I'm capable of light activity.

My long term goal is 200+ calories burned daily through exercise, forever (health allowing). I'm committed to that.
  • kenyonhaff
    kenyonhaff Posts: 1,377 Member
    Options
    Calorie goal? Well, I know how much to expect for my usual workout... I guess I focus more on the eating plan than the workout plan.