How many calories do you aim to burn at the gym per workout?

Options
13»

Replies

• SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    I don't have a calorie goal. It woud take me like 3 hours at least in the gym to get to 500. I don't have that kind of extra time so I just do my workout and get my calorie deficit in the kitchen.

Even when I've done an extra long for me, I don't think I burned 500 calories. The most in any workout I've burned is 450 calories on a 6 mile run, which took me over an hour.
  • SLLRunner
    SLLRunner Posts: 12,942 Member
    Options
    On Saturdays I go 1200+

What workout do you do to burn 1200 plus calories? (I'm thinking probably long bike rides. :)).
  • AnnPT77
    AnnPT77 Posts: 32,761 Member
    Options
    I'm all about enjoyment, with staying strong and healthy a secondary goal (only because I'm a weak character ;) ).

Most days, I'm quite active in some fun thing for 45 minutes to an hour and a half, and burn anywhere from 175-450 or so calories: Row, spin, swim, walk, bike, whatever. I try to be very vigorous, because that feels really good and is generally just more fun.

It used to expend more calories, like 300-600, but then I got all tiny, and it wasn't so many calories anymore. That's gonna have to be OK. ;) It's still equally fun.
  • Xvapor
    Xvapor Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    As few as possible
  • ericatoday
    ericatoday Posts: 454 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    As long as I burn off breakfast I'm happy. That's my goal. Burn off breakfast then everything else is just....well..icing on the cake haha
  • kelster_feme
    kelster_feme Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    I don't go to the gym but work out on my rower at home. Just started really. 20 mins = 244 calories according to MFP. I'm very close to being able to increase the time by 5 minute intervals and should reach 30 mins by next week. I think the most I will go to is 1 hr. Once I've got my weight down another 8-9lbs I'll also start running again before bed. Again only 20 minutes - half an hour at the most. I also count the calories I use walking the dog. I think when your over weight counting all calories from exercise helps psychologically.