Ladies do you struggle during....

Options
2»

Replies

• lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    leejoyce31 wrote: »
    I'm with you! Please see my "Today it's all about butter" post--that was all PMS-induced! Usually I don't really get cravings, though, I just have a monstrous appetite, but it does last about 7 days for me. These women who only have it for one day--wow!

I decided a while back to give myself an extra 300 calories over my usual calories on those days I feel I really need it. I read that our bodies burn more calories at this time, and 300 was the number they gave. That worked for me for one cycle, and now for most cycles I'm giving myself 300 calories OVER maintenance! Even that's not always working. And yes, some cycles I'm not paying attention to dates, and it's my appetite that clues me in to TOM coming soon. It's not just an excuse to eat!

I've tried upping protein, upping carbs, and taking magnesium. The magnesium I have noticed has helped with ...um...irritability, but I still had appetite issues this past cycle. Protein helps some during the day, but evening hits, and watch out! For me, my appetite drops really low right after my period starts, so it sort of evens out.

Still, you've lost 75 ish lbs, even with PMS, so you know you can keep going. It might be slow going, but what is the alternative?

Lol. 300 over maintenance isn't bad. My one adds up to more than 3,000 calories. So thank goodness it's just one day.

Yes my appetite drops when menses starts. This is due to the rise in estrogen once bleeding begins. Thank goodness. I guess that nature's way of giving is a break.

I generally get cravings but not a monstrous appetite.

What's that like? Do you feel hungry or are you more unsatisfied with your portions?

Are you saying in that one day you eat 3000 over maintenance? Or 3000 total?

The appetite--it's both! I do 16:8 IF, usually not eating until 1pm. On PMS days, though, it's difficult for me to wait past 11am because I just feel hungrier. I also don't fill up as easily--sometime I never get full! I can eat my very filling usual lunch of Greek yogurt, 2 egg omelette and a banana--I'm stuffed usually, but with PMS, it hardly feels like I ate!

It's pretty interesting, really! One thing that's been nice about using MFP the last 7 months is how much I've learned about my body and my eating patterns (and the effects). I'm still learning!
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I'm with you! Please see my "Today it's all about butter" post--that was all PMS-induced! Usually I don't really get cravings, though, I just have a monstrous appetite, but it does last about 7 days for me. These women who only have it for one day--wow!

I decided a while back to give myself an extra 300 calories over my usual calories on those days I feel I really need it. I read that our bodies burn more calories at this time, and 300 was the number they gave. That worked for me for one cycle, and now for most cycles I'm giving myself 300 calories OVER maintenance! Even that's not always working. And yes, some cycles I'm not paying attention to dates, and it's my appetite that clues me in to TOM coming soon. It's not just an excuse to eat!

I've tried upping protein, upping carbs, and taking magnesium. The magnesium I have noticed has helped with ...um...irritability, but I still had appetite issues this past cycle. Protein helps some during the day, but evening hits, and watch out! For me, my appetite drops really low right after my period starts, so it sort of evens out.

Still, you've lost 75 ish lbs, even with PMS, so you know you can keep going. It might be slow going, but what is the alternative?

Lol. 300 over maintenance isn't bad. My one adds up to more than 3,000 calories. So thank goodness it's just one day.

Yes my appetite drops when menses starts. This is due to the rise in estrogen once bleeding begins. Thank goodness. I guess that nature's way of giving is a break.

What's that like? Do you feel hungry or are you more unsatisfied with your portions?

The appetite--it's both! I do 16:8 IF, usually not eating until 1pm. On PMS days, though, it's difficult for me to wait past 11am because I just feel hungrier. I also don't fill up as easily--sometime I never get full! I can eat my very filling usual lunch of Greek yogurt, 2 egg omelette and a banana--I'm stuffed usually, but with PMS, it hardly feels like I ate!

It's pretty interesting, really! One thing that's been nice about using MFP the last 7 months is how much I've learned about my body and my eating patterns (and the effects). I'm still learning!

Both actually. Sometimes I've eaten 3,000 calories total for the day. Sometimes I've eaten 3,000 calories over maintenance. Calories can wrack up when you eat calorie dense treats.
  • leejoyce31
    leejoyce31 Posts: 794 Member
    Options

I also do IF 16:8. Most days I go longer than 16. Usually between 17.5 - 19 hours. Hormones don't really impact my hunger cues. So my fasting window doesn't change unless I feel fatigued. Then I'll eat a few slices of cucumber and a couple slices of apple, which is how I break fast. Then I'll have an egg salad after 5. Lunch between 7-8 pm. Dinner at 10 pm.