It is more than a simple "CICO" - why can't we just admit it?

Replies

• MaybeLed
    MaybeLed Posts: 250 Member
    It really was CICO for me and nothing else. I actually am annoyed I didn't know it was this "easy" years ago. 193 pounds to 137 in 30 weeks for me, ONLY by eating a calorie deficit.

I felt like this too, I was having real issues with being 'perfect', with whatever a 'healthy' diet was with no real guidance. Just decided to give it another go, on a random Thursday, no waiting till the folloing Monday or the start of the month. I logged what I are for a while, worked out what was high/low satiety, what was worth the calories (gin = yes, pasta = meh, lemonade = no).

It meant that when I started cutting, and I hadn’t prepared something I could just go into a super market, read the label and fit it in. Part of me is annoyed that I didn’t get stared sooner but I’ve started now.

I’m not negating that people have physical and psychological barriers that make it harder. I know when my depression is bad I can’t leave my bed let alone go outside. So my CI has to reflect my issues with CO.
  • fitoverfortymom
    fitoverfortymom Posts: 3,452 Member
    MaybeLed wrote: »
    It really was CICO for me and nothing else. I actually am annoyed I didn't know it was this "easy" years ago. 193 pounds to 137 in 30 weeks for me, ONLY by eating a calorie deficit.

I felt like this too, I was having real issues with being 'perfect', with whatever a 'healthy' diet was with no real guidance. Just decided to give it another go, on a random Thursday, no waiting till the folloing Monday or the start of the month. I logged what I are for a while, worked out what was high/low satiety, what was worth the calories (gin = yes, pasta = meh, lemonade = no).

It meant that when I started cutting, and I hadn’t prepared something I could just go into a super market, read the label and fit it in. Part of me is annoyed that I didn’t get stared sooner but I’ve started now.

I’m not negating that people have physical and psychological barriers that make it harder. I know when my depression is bad I can’t leave my bed let alone go outside. So my CI has to reflect my issues with CO.

This is all me also. Just been CICO really, and it seemed absurd I didn't understand it earlier. Once I got it, it stuck like glue, and I've been off to the races with weight loss.
  • smelliefeet
    smelliefeet Posts: 71 Member
    CICO is simply the basis on which to start for strictly weight loss.

Then you have to take your individual person into account - what times of day do you prefer to eat depending on your work / life schedule? Do certain types of food leave you hungry whilst others fill you quickly? What foods do you enjoy / crave? I never crave sugar, for example, I am a salty person.

On top of that is various other things - do you have a good amount of muscle mass already, or have you never lifted a finger in your life? Do you HATE cardio? Because if you do, don't even try to stick to so-and-so's cardio weight loss routine!

So, yes, there are so many other factors we as individuals have to account for, but overall weight loss IS all about CICO. Nobody ever said it was easy to figure out the CO part though.
  • stevencloser
    stevencloser Posts: 8,911 Member
    I must have missed that "debunking". Can someone direct me to where CICO got "debunked"?
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member
    CICO absolutely is simple. It's a basic math equation as simple as 1+1.

I am now empowered because I know exactly what I need to do to lose weight. It's on me now. I don't have to sit around guessing is it the food I'm eating, is it because I'm old or because I had a hysterectomy?

I have to figure out macros or meal frequency/timing. for satiation. I have to make sure I'm getting nutritious foods so I can have occasional "junk food". I have to figure out how to moderate. This is the work I put in. Because I have to figure this out doesn't negate the simplicity of CICO.

Let's say due to health (major medical issues aside) your CO is lower well you just slightly lower CI or you up CO by working out a little more.

I cannot emphasize enough how much of a lightbulb moment CICO/TDEE was for me.

I wish the fact that CICO is simple but figuring out how to adhere might not be easy would not be confused!!
  • mikeisgod83
    mikeisgod83 Posts: 21 Member
    The difference from person to person "in general" is not a great deal. If you cut your calories by roughly 500-700 daily (some people do more, some less) even with minimal mislabeled nutrition information, you will lose. Exactly as pointed out above, if you're dropping 500 calories today, from what you were eating before and you're not seeing weight loss, adjust it to 600, or 700, wait a week or two and see if you're losing then. Once you find a good amount of calories to take in, stick to that for a while. Weigh and adjust, its that easy.
  • Hello_its_Dan
    Hello_its_Dan Posts: 406 Member
    The difference from person to person "in general" is not a great deal. If you cut your calories by roughly 500-700 daily (some people do more, some less) even with minimal mislabeled nutrition information, you will lose. Exactly as pointed out above, if you're dropping 500 calories today, from what you were eating before and you're not seeing weight loss, adjust it to 600, or 700, wait a week or two and see if you're losing then. Once you find a good amount of calories to take in, stick to that for a while. Weigh and adjust, its that easy.

Just poking the hornets nest here a little!
    So you're telling me that my wife who maintains her weight at 1200 calories a day should cut 500-700 calories from her diet to lose weight?

She's an endometriosis patient on heavy medication throwing hormones out of whack.

Flag on the play!
  • leanjogreen18
    leanjogreen18 Posts: 2,492 Member

So you're telling me that my wife who maintains her weight at 1200 calories a day should cut 500-700 calories from her diet to lose weight?

She's an endometriosis patient on heavy medication throwing hormones out of whack.

Flag on the play!

Come on!

See the "in general" in mikes comment :)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    zyxst wrote: »
    nvmomketo wrote: »
    jmp463 wrote: »
    For the record I agree with the OP - He clearly states that you have to take in less than you burn. If I read it right he is just staying that its not straight math that there are other issues that can make it difficult for some to lose and thus much of the advice given here is a overly simple and to me at times becomes overly nasty if you offer anything other than simple CICO.

Exactly. It does come down to CI<CO for weight loss but other factors can make losses very, very hard to achieve. I think that those who keep reasserting that "it's only CICO" are the ones who have not (yet) had to deal with those factors. I don't think it is in their realm of experience so they just don't see it.

So yes, it comes down to CI<CO but some people are not going to get there without medical treatment or medication, counselling, life changes, dietary changes (not just quantity) or such.

Twenty years ago I would have said it was all CICO. If I increased exercise, dropped a few calories, I lost weight. Now my circumstances have changed and just dropping calories does not work effectively anymore. I need some of those interventions. Once I have that, weight loss became as easy as it was 20 years ago. Sometimes those other factors need to be addressed for weight loss to hapen successfully.

To the bolded: really? Granted, my health problems are not as major as some, but they are still enough to affect my weight.

Medical issues (diabetes, thyroid problems, HBP, IBS, etc.) generally fall into Calories Out. Once you get those sorted via medication or diet or a little weight loss, you should be able to lose weight (if that's your desire). That you believe/think I'm telling "it's CICO" without taking into consideration people's health problems, then you're mislead. A lot of people who post asking about why they're not losing weight never mention having health problems. It's only after 4-5 pages do they finally divulge "oh I have PCOS/diabetes/bariatric surgery", then those CICO advocates adapt their advice to the now known problem.

And despite medical/physical/psychological issues, it's still CICO.
    07805a99ae73d5300c78ff8db167676f.jpg

Really. For every person out there who admits thyroid, medical, emotional or psychological issues will affect weight loss, I think there are just as many who say it is just CICO, so just eat less and move more. Or stop stuffing your pie hole.... I think that one showed up on the last page. Or I lost 70 lbs eating bread everyday so you can too.

So sure, CICO is the first advice to give, I agree with that. I AGREED weight loss comes down CICO. No argument there. But when people say they are already eating 1300 kcal per day, and yes they weigh their food, and no they do not just use the data from the food data base, then the posts tend to turn to: "Well, you are doing something wrong or just lying."

And not everyone knows about their health issues so they can't divulge it. They may realize that something is not quite right but have no idea what is wrong. I believe there are more undiagnosed diabetics than diabetics. Undiagnosed or improperly treated people with hypothyroidism is a really large number. NAFLD is a really fast growing problem that you won't know of in most cases. They may not be able to achieve CI<CO without great difficulty if those issues are not being addressed.

And then there are the people who do mention a health problem like T2D and are told to just eat less and lose weight. That's not an optimal diet for one with IR. It is a diet, and it may work eventually, but it isn't ideal.

You said:
    [quote}That you believe/think I'm telling "it's CICO" without taking into consideration people's health problems, then you're mislead. [/quote]

No need to get self righteous. I never said, " Zyxst, quit telling people 'it's CICO' without taking into consideration people's health problems." My comment wasn't supposed to be about you. Funny that you took it that way.
  • snowflake954
    snowflake954 Posts: 8,400 Member
    nomorepuke wrote: »
    If you figured it out that weight loss is not as simple as CICO like most people think, you've just won the lottery. There's no need for you to come in here and try to explain it to everyone. All you will get is angry people, try to prove you wrong like they're all experts. People don't want to admit that the weight loss isn't that simple. People don't want to give up their nasty junk food. People are deeply addicted to junk food and have overeating problems. Those people take care of their cars more than their bodies. They use the most efficient and expensive products such oil, gas, sea foam...etc to keep their cars work well. But when it comes to diet, all they want is weight loss. Health is none of their concern. Eating less is the most miserable way to lose weight.

Well then--just focus on health and see where that gets you. ;)
  • mikeisgod83
    mikeisgod83 Posts: 21 Member
    Dealing with some people on the internet is always fun... I was making general statement, obviously ruling out medical conditions (consult your dr. not MFP forums #1) if she wants to lose weight @ a maintenance of 1200 a day, probably cut 50?? I was making a point that you're not going to lose weight, and then keep it off if you stop doing what you were doing in the first place. If you want to stay a healthy weight, you weigh yourself regularly, and adjust from the results.

Flag on the play!

This discussion has been closed.