low carb / high fat diet success anyone ?

Options

Replies

• overit75
    overit75 Posts: 150 Member
    Options
    I've been following a low carb diet for 3 months now and I've lost around 9kg!

After the first tough couple of weeks the plan got much easier to follow and very rarely find myself craving carbs any more :smile:

I do miss chocolate though!

Dark chocolate has lower carbs, look for the ones that have a high % of cacoa :) There are tons of recipes online for chocolate treats. You just have to think outside the box
  • ge105
    ge105 Posts: 268 Member
    Options
    Nothing like trying to squat and deadlift on a low carb diet. Quite the experience.

I've had no problems.

Me neither. Also- currently eating 1800-2100 calories and I've lost 5lbs in 3 weeks. From 120lbs- 114.6. All I'm doing on here is counting carbs and letting calories fall where they may :-) It works for some people, the only way to find out is to try it yourself. If you didn't like it or it didn't work for you, doesn't mean its that way for everyone.
  • Keliandra
    Keliandra Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Update: Got my labs done today. Been doing LCHF for 50 days. My macros are 20% Carbs, 20% Protein & 60% Fat, with no limit on saturated vs. unsaturated.

This is the result:
    Total cholesterol: 251 -> 216
    LDL 211 -> 141
    HDL 40 -> 45
    Triglycerides 468 -> 151
    VLDL 94 -> 30

Also:
    A1C 11.9 -> 7.1
    Liver Enzymes AST/SGOT 215 -> 33 (15-37 is normal)
    Liver Enzyme ALT/SGPT 203 -> 66 (12-78 is normal)
  • 22dream
    22dream Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • PinkMartiniPls
    Options
    I have tried low carb before, but I find it difficult to give up certain things (like brown rice or a bit of sweetener in my tea). I am curious, though, because I am still debating if it is a WOE that I should just commit to, will you gain weight if you add regular carbs back in-like a sandwich or a bowl of cereal?

I actually had to give up coffee to make this work for me. I just couldn't drink it without real sugar, so I switched to tea and use liquid stevia (avail. in health food stores) and that satisfies my morning cravings just fine. In fact, I drink about four cups of tea a day, three of which are herbal/green blends and I don't miss coffee at all.

You do have to make sacrifices but it's worth it. Scope out low-carb vegetables and eat plenty of them so you don't feel like you're only eating meat. I also fry up a bunch of bacon, freeze it and strain the fat to keep in a jar in the refrigerator for cooking - it adds a lot of flavor to just about anything.

All of those foods you think you can't live without you won't crave at all once you settle into ketosis for a while.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    Is bulletproof coffee nice? Never like the thought of putting butter in coffee

Just make sure to use unsalted grass fed butter. Salted is kind of ewwwww

I made the mistake once of not paying attention when I grabbed the butter in the morning. I ended up using salted butter. To be honest, it didn't make that much of a difference to me. Granted, I am blending my butter/coconut oil into espresso. So, the salted butter just helped cut some of the bitterness out.

It was no big deal. I've used salted a few times since then. Typically, I use unsalted. And, then I go ahead and use the sugar-free salted caramel syrup from Torani in my espresso. ;)

Maybe I am just a person who likes a lot of salt. I am. But, the amount of sodium (and therefore salt) in a TBS of butter is like 3% of the amount in a tsp of salt. It's pretty tiny. If salted butter is all you have access to and you want to give it a try without making a special trip to the store, I wouldn't let it stop you.
  • Fitnursejo
    Options
    I ordered Chris Powell's book on Carb Cycling. Should be here this week. However I am starting tomorrow.
    I am starting my high carb day tomorrow and alternate days high carb/low. Will see how this works. I have tried everything.

Oh yea! I love Chris Powell. I'll read that next. I'm reading Wheat Belly now.

I'm not really counting carbs, just steering clear of most wheat. Not too strict with the condiments though. I feel really good, less bloated, sleepy, itchy and wheezy!! Lol! All true! Lost 7lbs over my 10 day "detox " period. That wasn't my goal. I saw the sugar detox on Dr Oz. Gave it a try to reduce my out of control sweet tooth once again! I decided to lay off all wheat stuffs for a while. And my results were so much better than expected. Didn't know I was wheat sensitive! So that led to me reading the Wheat Belly!! It's been 15 days and I'm happy so far. My plan is not to totally give it up but to be 85-90% wheat free. Unless it's a medical necessity I have a hard time believing its realistic to eliminate any particular food group! I'll save it for my treats and some restaurants and party's. Good luck!!
  • Fitnursejo
    Options
    Update: Got my labs done today. Been doing LCHF for 50 days. My macros are 20% Carbs, 20% Protein & 60% Fat, with no limit on saturated vs. unsaturated.

This is the result:
    Total cholesterol: 251 -> 216
    LDL 211 -> 141
    HDL 40 -> 45
    Triglycerides 468 -> 151
    VLDL 94 -> 30

Also:
    A1C 11.9 -> 7.1

Nice!
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Wtn_Gurl Posts: 396 Member
    Options
    I've been eating moderately low carbs - maybe 100 a day - (from a piece of fruit and 2 yogurts). I was losing weight, but now it has slowed down. i found out i was not eating much but getting lunch from the food concourse downstairs. i was choosing a salad or chilli but still not much progress.

well this week i brought my home made food and the scale started going down.

so thats it. i think you can do really well with eating and choosing healthy food choices, but if it comes from a restaurant, somehow its more fattening… i dont have scientific proof, but it seems to be hindering my progress - not the carbs or calories, but the restaurant food.

I was hoping i didn't have to give up fruit and dairy entirely to get the benefits of low carb, but is not the fruit and yogurt, its the stupid restaurant food (i think).
  • modernpilgrimage
    Options
    I've been doing LCHF (keto) since January 3rd and have lost 23.2 pounds. My macros tend to stay at 75% fat, 20% protein and 5% carbs and I stay under 20g net carbs per day. There are days where I feel very tired and days like today where I have a bountless amount of energy. I will say this lifestyle (not a diet) is not for everyone because of the carb restriction but if you are dedicated, do your research and stay motivated you have an opportunity to achieve great results!
  • judychicken
    judychicken Posts: 937 Member
    Options
    Bump
  • kayaus
    kayaus Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    Bump to follow!
  • shivles
    shivles Posts: 468 Member
    Options
    I'm just getting back on track after a 'new boyfriend binge' haha, but I truly feel fantastic when I eat like this (once the sugar craving a have passed) and it's the only time I've been able to lower my bf% without loosing weight
  • Lisa6206
    Lisa6206 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    LCHF/Keto and in full ketosis since October 7th, 2013. LOVE this and will never go back! I feel very satisfied with my bullet proof coffee in the morning (my only breakfast), eat lunch around noon, dinner around 6:30. If I need a snack in the afternoon (maybe 4:00 to get me to dinner) I have a Fat Bomb (homemade "candies" made of coconut oil, butter, cocoa, maybe some coconut, etc). My macro's are 5% Carbs, 20% Protein & 75% Fat. I feel great, with lots of energy. I'm a cancer survivor, and cancer feeds on sugar. Also diabetes runs in my family (I dodged that bullet). So, I have more reasons than just weight loss to stay on LCHF. But I would not go off. I love it!! I lost my first 50 pounds the old fashioned "hard" way. Last 32 lbs have been on LCHF, and I didn't have to starve to do it. My primary care doctor is on board...in fact, he's on the same plan. My oncologist is also very much on board. I welcome f/r from any LCHF/Keto MFP folks! =0)
  • mamaomefo
    mamaomefo Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Following this thread
  • yarwell
    yarwell Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Triglycerides 468 -> 151
    VLDL 94 -> 30

Also:
    A1C 11.9 -> 7.1

Good job there !
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Options
    Following moderately low carb - i am losing 3 pounds a week so far. Another 3 down since last week, and i am not starving!
  • Wtn_Gurl
    Options
    Nothing like trying to squat and deadlift on a low carb diet. Quite the experience.

I've had no problems.

yeah not everyone needs to squat and deadlift.
  • mdallas6
    mdallas6 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    So what amount of carbs would be considered to be "low carb"?
    All types of meat is 0 carbs, cheeses and green veges are low, eggs are low. Just look on the back of times you want to eat. Most everything low fat has higher carb count. I e been low carbing since November and am a advocate for this way of eating!!!
  • jmsladky
    jmsladky Posts: 46
    Options
    Following, I love LCHF