Open relationships

Options

Replies

• Timshel_
    Timshel_ Posts: 22,834 Member
    Options
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    I have lots of gym girlfriends. Of course no sex or dating is involved, but we can talk private stuff and sexual innuendo if they choose.

If they share their protein powder, and it isn't your brand, is that cheating, or is that an open relationship?

Is there monogamous powder relationships? Serial monogamy where you just go from powder to powder as you loose interest and they are used up?

How many powders can you really enjoy at any one given time?

Seriously. They all have the same basic essential effect, but you just need to find the one that works best for you and commit. But for some, it is all about the different flavors, or always thinking they are trading up for something that will make them better.

• dbanks80
    dbanks80 Posts: 3,685 Member
    Options
    I don't agree with it but to each his own. My question is why get married then?
  • nomorepuke
    nomorepuke Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    A friend of mine does this open relationship thing. She's sick in the head in many other ways.
  • EZDUZIT68
    EZDUZIT68 Posts: 1,168 Member
    Options
    IMO you're inviting other people into your relationship - other mindsets, emotions, emotional baggage and intentions - and walking a very dangerous path as a result. It's like driving: you might be a careful, aware & sober driver - are all the other motorists on the road with you careful, aware & sober? It's always the other drivers you have to be concerned about - right?
  • TheCounselorx
    TheCounselorx Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    what..... interact with real life people?..... why would you want to do that when we all have perfectly good screens to look at...
  • FeraFilia
    FeraFilia Posts: 4,664 Member
    Options
    So not for me. I'd probably turn it into a competition then get mad when my significant other was winning.
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    Whatever works and makes them happy.
  • LeGaCyGiAnT91
    LeGaCyGiAnT91 Posts: 405 Member
    Options
    MeganAM89 wrote: »
    Have a friend who has an open relationship with husband. They say it's great! Lots of fun. Meet new people all the time. What's y'alls opinion on an open relationship?

I'm not in one but I really think that it depends on what you're comfortable with and how open both partners are in terms of what they both need sexually. To have a successful open relationship I think that both of you need to be 100% honest with each other and about your feelings and you have to approach sexual relationships with other people as just that - a little romp and nothing more, because you're not going to go home with that person.

You didn't tell everyone about our open relationship? Shame on you. We need to talk... about stuff and thangs.
  • gexking
    gexking Posts: 125 Member
    Options
    Too complicated for me.
  • Ben_there_done_that
    Options
    I have an ex girlfriend who did the whole open relationship with her husband. Naturally, they're getting a divorce since he fell for one of the other women.
  • WickedPineapple
    WickedPineapple Posts: 698 Member
    Options
    I considered it briefly near the end of a previous relationship. I've always found human sexuality fascinating, so was reading up on polyamory (not quite "open"). I concluded that it wasn't for me, being an introvert, demisexual, and generally anxious. I'm currently in a monogamous marriage with a man of similar personality/preference. However, I could see how it could work for other personality types. I don't see anything wrong with it as long as all parties are aware and consent.
  • JLAJ81
    JLAJ81 Posts: 2,477 Member
    Options
    I prefer closed relationships where no one talks or is touched
  • opheliaphoenix
    opheliaphoenix Posts: 1,474 Member
    Options
    When I am in a relationship with someone, the thrill of it for me is giving my whole heart and sexuality to that one person. I would rather direct all of that love, emotion, and lust towards one person, more passionately, than to dilute those affections over a larger group of people. I believe when you love someone, and then give yourself to that one person sexually, it is like a gift of self...only certain people are worthy of that focused intensity, and if you are giving your all to that person -- you should be too spent to need to be looking for that exchange with other people. I have a lot of love in my heart and body as well...I just choose to focus it like a laser instead of a light show. If that makes sense, lol. That being said, I desire the same loyalty in return. I don't want diluted affections, I want to be wanted with every fiber of that person's being. It doesn't have to be intense all day, every day, obviously...I'm talking about during romantic or sexual encounters.

However, that just means it would never work for me. I don't judge what other people want to do in their personal lives, as long as everyone is on the same page. If both parties are fully aware and have thoroughly communicated any boundaries or expectations, and those are honored so that no one gets hurt...then, you do you! I think it is a complicated journey and even naturally polyamorous people can fall prey to feelings of betrayal or jealousy, if the framework of the agreement isn't deeply considered and respected. I hope that anyone who wishes to enter into an open relationship has or finds a partner with the same mindset and desires to help fulfill a stable foundation before inviting others in. After that has been established, then I suppose it is golden from there and the best of luck to you!
  • postchrysalis
    postchrysalis Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Whatever floats your boat, man. I personally couldn't do it. I could be in a closed triad (polyamorous) relationship, but an open one where my partners could sleep with and/or date whoever they wanted? Nope. Not for me.

But again, different strokes for different folks. Monogamy isn't for everyone. Actually, when you consider the sheer number of people who cheat on their partners, it's probably not for lots of people.
  • JackKopCh
    JackKopCh Posts: 8,042 Member
    Options
    I just don't get it.... it's like the fun of being single mixed with a lot of the shackles of being in a relationship.... they just don't go together.
  • Motorsheen
    Motorsheen Posts: 20,506 Member
    Options
    JackKopCh wrote: »
    I just don't get it.... it's like the fun of being single mixed with a lot of the shackles of being in a relationship.... they just don't go together.

Right?

Well said.

Sorta like the worst of both worlds.
  • 2011rocket3touring
    2011rocket3touring Posts: 1,346 Member
    Options
    As I'm exploring celibacy while married, this doesn't sound bad...