Thoughts on Smoking?

Options
xalexandramarie
xalexandramarie Posts: 17 Member
Of course everyone knows the bad things about smoking but what are your thoughts on the nicotine being a suppressant?

Replies

• amluvstld
    amluvstld Posts: 212
    Options
    I think it's a nasty habit and not worth it.
  • deanna418
    deanna418 Posts: 103 Member
    Options
    I agree. It's a nasty habit and if you do smoke it can ruin your body. My Grandpa smoked when he was younger and he had emphysema and had one lung removed.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    I miss it.
    freddiesmoking_zps6c2c780d.gif
  • xalexandramarie
    Options
    I miss it.
    freddiesmoking_zps6c2c780d.gif

this image <3
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    Why are you trying to suppress your hunger? Also, as a smoker, don't start smoking for suppressing your hunger. For th love of God if you must go down an eating disorder road, take up coffee for suppressent vs. smoking.

Also, seek help.

(yes, I realize I might be jumping to conclusion, I am OK with it)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure I understand you right. Are you saying you are thinking about starting smoking just so you'll want to eat less?

...Are you out of your mind?

No, really...........................are you?
  • xalexandramarie
    Options
    Why are you trying to suppress your hunger? Also, as a smoker, don't start smoking for suppressing your hunger. For th love of God if you must go down an eating disorder road, take up coffee for suppressent vs. smoking.

Also, seek help.

Honestly, my dad quit smoking and since then I have found myself "craving" it (second hand sucks) and was looking up things about smoking just to understand why and was shocked to see it has been used to suppress hunger
  • xalexandramarie
    Options
    I promise you all I am not going to start smoking for the fact of it being a suppressant if anything, I don't want to pick it up at all!
  • xalexandramarie
    Options
    my goal is to not smoke at all...it is just a fact I found interesting
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options

Also, seek help.

Honestly, my dad quit smoking and since then I have found myself "craving" it (second hand sucks) and was looking up things about smoking just to understand why and was shocked to see it has been used to suppress hunger

What you heard is actually incorrect. I have been smoking since I was 13. It has never suppressed hunger. What has happened though is that anytime I tried to quit smoking, I tried to replace one addiction (of nicotine) with another (of food).

This is a new concept for me of getting addicted to nicotine via second hand smoking.

For all that is holy, please do NOT start smoking. For any reason. I have been smoking for 16 years and regret the day I started very much so.
  • xalexandramarie
    Options

Also, seek help.

What you heard is actually incorrect. I have been smoking since I was 13. It has never suppressed hunger. What has happened though is that anytime I tried to quit smoking, I tried to replace one addiction (of nicotine) with another (of food).

This is a new concept for me of getting addicted to nicotine via second hand smoking.

For all that is holy, please do NOT start smoking. For any reason. I have been smoking for 16 years and regret the day I started very much so.

I've asked others if they have craved, too without ever having a cigarette and it's actually common once the main source of contact is gone. It's like I've been around it so long that him just stopping is throwing me off. I don't want to smoke. And it's nice to know that it doesn't suppress hunger. That was mind blowing to hear so I am glad to know it's not true.
  • dinoskycm
    dinoskycm Posts: 267
    Options
    I can't stand smoking!! It's so nasty! Plus, I'm a runner, so smoking would the most detrimental thing I could do to my lungs. I use water as a suppressant! haha I'm constantly drinking water throughout the day. :)
  • AlongCame_Molly
    AlongCame_Molly Posts: 2,835 Member
    Options
    I promise you all I am not going to start smoking for the fact of it being a suppressant if anything, I don't want to pick it up at all!

*Whew!*

You really had me freaked out there! Lol.

Yes, nicotine has been known to suppress appetite in some people...that's one of the reasons ppl gain a ton of weight when they quit.
  • xalexandramarie
    Options
    I can't stand smoking!! It's so nasty! Plus, I'm a runner, so smoking would the most detrimental thing I could do to my lungs. I use water as a suppressant! haha I'm constantly drinking water throughout the day. :)

RIGHT?! The amount of water I drink is probably excessive but it never feels like enough
  • britttttx3
    britttttx3 Posts: 458
    Options
    -_-
  • xalexandramarie
    Options

*Whew!*

You really had me freaked out there! Lol.

Yes, nicotine has been known to suppress appetite in some people...that's one of the reasons ppl gain a ton of weight when they quit.

that's what my dad's going through right now
  • dinoskycm
    dinoskycm Posts: 267
    Options

RIGHT?! The amount of water I drink is probably excessive but it never feels like enough

Exactly!!!! I just crave water all the time!! :)
  • grantdumas7
    grantdumas7 Posts: 802 Member
    Options
  • Cp731
    Cp731 Posts: 3,195 Member
    Options
    they don't suppress my appetite, they do keep me from beating ppl senseless
  • whierd
    whierd Posts: 14,025 Member
    Options
    I've never smoked cigarettes, so I don't know. Gross smell though.