Thoughts on Smoking?

Options

Replies

• Ocarina
    Ocarina Posts: 1,550 Member
    Options
    Smoking is HORRIBLE!

I smoked for three years and quit when I said I would, at 21. I enjoyed it but I know I smelled like *kitten*. When I quit my weight shot up from dealing with the withdrawals and also not moving. It was worth the sacrifice though... I'd rather be overweight then a smoker. If you are really wanting to try nicotine then do a e-cig. They are like a cigarette without all the chemicals and stench. I don't know how safe it is but it could be a way to go if you want to try it for something to do. It won't help your dieting though!
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I hate it and my dad smoked tons and he died of lung cancer and I can say its not how you would want to end. Not everybody who smokes gets cancer but when you smoke well the risk is higher and its not worth it. and it stinks.
  • BigDnSW
    BigDnSW Posts: 641 Member
    Options
    Cigarettes? Not for me...but a pleasurable smoke with a fine cigar...relaxing...

tumblr_lzlwnwwpDO1r2hpbfo1_500.gif
  • Joehenny
    Joehenny Posts: 1,222 Member
    Options
    Lol wait so you want to get in better shape and improve your health using something that will absolutely DESTROY YOUR HEALTH and kill you?

Goodbye logic.
  • TheDoctorRose
    Options
    There's nothing wrong with it besides personal cancer development risk, increasing cancer development risk for those who must breathe around you, a stench emanating from your every pore that immediately marks you as a smoker to one who doesn't smoke, raspy deeper voice that makes you sound like one of those old smoking cartoon women, disgusting breath and teeth, disgusting fingers, chronic cough, frequent respiratory infections, decreased life expectancy, and of course the weight gain and withdrawal symptoms when you finally realise what a horrible decision you made when you started and decide to quit. So, like I said, nothing wrong with it. :flowerforyou:
  • diodelcibo
    diodelcibo Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    Dirty and pointless.
  • Chadomaniac
    Chadomaniac Posts: 1,785 Member
    Options
    Depends what you smoking :smokin:
  • Sylvitryinghard
    Sylvitryinghard Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    lol most awesome **** in Thailand I can tell ;):laugh:
  • legreene515
    legreene515 Posts: 276 Member
    Options
    Smoking is so gross. My husband smoked for 11 years of the 12 we have been together. He finally quit last year. It was so hard for him to quit, but he literally had to, and he did it, and I am so thankful that my house doesn't smell like smoke anymore, and that my kids are not exposed to 2nd hand smoke. DO NOT DO IT! Chew gum. Chewing gum can prohibit you from putting food in your mouth too!
  • fitnh
    fitnh Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Don't even get me going!
  • p2smommy
    p2smommy Posts: 64
    Options
    Having been a smoker for nearly 10 years (and now being smoke free since October 1, 2005), I can tell you.. Smoking sucks.

I started smoking when I was fit and didn't really have any weight issues.. During my smoking years, my PCOS Symptoms started manifesting themselves, and by the time I quit, I had gained quite an alarming amount of weight (I don't think that smoking & PCOS are related.. but I think it might be a catalyst for symptom presentation - I'm no doctor.. so I don't know for sure) - still without realizing I had PCOS.

I quit, ironically, not because I didn't like smoking, but because I wanted a baby more than I wanted my next cigarette, and my husband and I had decided to start trying to conceive. I refused to be a pregnant smoker.

So I quit cold turkey... and gained even more weight, but that was to be expected.. Like a PP said.. you trade one addiction for another (Nicotine = Food).

I've never looked back, and today cannot stand the smell of cigarette smoke. I rarely miss it, but I've never missed it enough to want to pick one up and light it.

Good Luck to your Dad - Hope he gets the habit kicked!!!
  • Newnameishardtofind
    Newnameishardtofind Posts: 867 Member
    Options
    No good reason to smoke
  • astartig
    astartig Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    Smoking's bad m'kay.
  • TheVimFuego
    TheVimFuego Posts: 2,412 Member
    Options
    On a purely anecdotal level and from 20 years experience, it's a great appetite suppressant.

People quit and tend to pack on fat, that is pretty much the rule.

But, if you can quit AND learn how to eat/exercise well then you'll be set for a better future all round.

Allen Carr's Easy Way did it for me and started a chain reaction that has led me here. I totally understand why people smoke, no judgement here but if you want to quit it AND get fit you can, absolutely, but only if you want it. Really $)(;ing want it. Are you willing to pay the price? A bit of psychological torture that dims with time?

I still get thoughts of starting again but they are fewer and further between, good luck y'all if you want to quit. If you don't then good luck also.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    No good reason to smoke

Yeh, smokers know that.
  • TheVimFuego
    Options
    Smoking's bad m'kay.

Even with an ironic cartoon reference this doesn't really help. ;)
  • Kyrosh
    Kyrosh Posts: 238
    Options
    I quit smoking 5 months ago and I knew I was going to change one habit for the other. I just made sure it wasn't food! I started running and going to the gym. 5 months on and I didn't gain anything from not smoking :)
  • lauren3101
    lauren3101 Posts: 1,853 Member
    Options
    Nicotine is not an appetite suppressant. It can be used as such, i.e people will go for a cigarette in order to take their mind off eating, but that is purely psychological.

Many people gain weight after giving up smoking for the same reason; eating will take your mind off of the craving of cigarettes. It works both ways, but in essence all you are doing is replacing one addiction with another.
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    Of course everyone knows the bad things about smoking but what are your thoughts on the nicotine being a suppressant?

It's a life suppressant.....
  • kellehbeans
    kellehbeans Posts: 838 Member
    Options
    Smoking has never suppressed my hunger. Smoking is a waste of time and money and deadly hard to quit.