Tonight I had the dumbest conversation with target staff

Options

Replies

• CattOfTheGarage
    CattOfTheGarage Posts: 2,750 Member
    Options
    elphie754 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Wait, was it frozen or refrigerated? If frozen, it's not dangerous (but almost certainly dried out and nasty after that length of time).

Freezing doesn't stop food from rotting/going bad - it just slows it down. The colder the temp, the longer it (generally) takes. But freezing won't stop the process - not unless you hit 0 K.

Tell that to the frozen baby mammoths!

Seriously, you're mistaken on this. Freezing to -18C (0F, which is the temperature of a home freezer) stops microbial activity and guarantees food safety indefinitely. What it doesn't stop is drying out and deteriorating due to enzyme activity.

So frozen food still deteriorates, but safely - it does not rot and it does not go bad. It just dries out and gets nasty, and possibly rancid in the case of fatty food - but rancidity is not dangerous, it just tastes bad.

If you don't believe me (and why would you? I'm just an Internet stranger) check out the USDA's word on the subject - https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/freezing-and-food-safety/CT_Index

I made the mistake of cooking and eating chicken that I thought was safe because it was frozen-never again. Not I labelmwhen it goes in the freezer.

Assuming the freezer was working properly, it must have already have been bad before it was frozen. Otherwise there was a fault with the freezer.

What I've quoted above is the science on the subject and USDA's official advice - and they are not cavalier when it comes to food safety, they are firmly towards to anal end of the spectrum.
  • ThatUserNameIsAllReadyTaken
    Options
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Wait, was it frozen or refrigerated? If frozen, it's not dangerous (but almost certainly dried out and nasty after that length of time).

Freezing doesn't stop food from rotting/going bad - it just slows it down. The colder the temp, the longer it (generally) takes. But freezing won't stop the process - not unless you hit 0 K.

Tell that to the frozen baby mammoths!

Seriously, you're mistaken on this. Freezing to -18C (0F, which is the temperature of a home freezer) stops microbial activity and guarantees food safety indefinitely. What it doesn't stop is drying out and deteriorating due to enzyme activity.

So frozen food still deteriorates, but safely - it does not rot and it does not go bad. It just dries out and gets nasty, and possibly rancid in the case of fatty food - but rancidity is not dangerous, it just tastes bad.

If you don't believe me (and why would you? I'm just an Internet stranger) check out the USDA's word on the subject - https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/freezing-and-food-safety/CT_Index

I made the mistake of cooking and eating chicken that I thought was safe because it was frozen-never again. Not I labelmwhen it goes in the freezer.

Years ago I got a frozen meal of some kind. It was a chicken and rice type of thing. I heated it up and sat down to eat it and as I was chewing the first bite the foulest, most rotten, putrid odor came over me. The chicken was actually rotten. My sense of smell must have been half dead for me not to have noticed that while it was cooking. So yeah, I completely agree that frozen food can be bad also!
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    So I ended up calling the corporate office and had a great conversation with them, after he stop laughing. He goes- "wait? This isn't a prank call?". I was like nope!

Gave him the store address, store number, what register I was checked out at, and name of the person checking me out. I couldn't remember the mangers name.

He said that later this week they will send one of their "secret shoppers" to check things out. If there is more stuff that far expired or those products are back on the shelf, they will hold management accountable and make sure they understand food safety.

He apologized and because of my "troubles" is sending us a $100 target gift card. I told him we don't need or want it but he insisted.

Good for you. I've had similar experiences with Target and corporate always made good.

I work in pharma and we get calls like this all the time asking if they can use expired medication. Unlike food, most drugs do not degrade. I don't think we've ever received a call for a product that has been expired for a year. I wonder if that wasn't a printing error.

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    Options
    CSARdiver wrote: »
    So I ended up calling the corporate office and had a great conversation with them, after he stop laughing. He goes- "wait? This isn't a prank call?". I was like nope!

Gave him the store address, store number, what register I was checked out at, and name of the person checking me out. I couldn't remember the mangers name.

He said that later this week they will send one of their "secret shoppers" to check things out. If there is more stuff that far expired or those products are back on the shelf, they will hold management accountable and make sure they understand food safety.

He apologized and because of my "troubles" is sending us a $100 target gift card. I told him we don't need or want it but he insisted.

Good for you. I've had similar experiences with Target and corporate always made good.

I work in pharma and we get calls like this all the time asking if they can use expired medication. Unlike food, most drugs do not degrade. I don't think we've ever received a call for a product that has been expired for a year. I wonder if that wasn't a printing error.

Sincerely doubt it. I think it was a moron human error.
  • Shanel0916
    Shanel0916 Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    I can't lie I got stuck on "sister wife" or is it Sister's wife?
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Shanel0916 wrote: »

Am now hunting thorough the thread for hints of polygamy but can find no reference to "sister wife", where was this?
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    And these were breakfasts sandwiches? With what, eggs and cheese and stuff in them?? They're going to kill someone!

Well, no, not really, at least not if we're talking frozen foods. But damn you would think they would have acknowledged the dang date!
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    Years ago, when my daughter was a baby, I found several canisters of baby formula powder that was expired. I think it was 2-3 months past the "sell by" date. I took them all up to customer service and told them they were expired. They thanked me for bringing it to their attention.

Three days later they were back on the shelf!

I hope you placed a phone call to the health department. They'll kill someone's child.
  • Shanel0916
    Options
    So my local target sell a select few items that are gluten free, which was a wonderful find for us. It's very limited but we love the selection (isis pizzas, breakfast sandwiches, applegate gluten free chicken fingers etc).

So tonight we are there and I grab a whole bunch of udis breakfast sandwiches. I wasn't really paying attention to the date on them. My sister wife goes.... those expired last April. I was like what?!? So I look and sure enough the expiration date was 4/2016. I was like, that can't right, maybe that is the manufacture date, but nope it was the expiration date.

So we calmly bring them to the register and tell the cashier they are expired, and here is where the fun begins lol. Her response was-no they expire thisbup coming April. Uhhhh no, we are in 2017 not 2016. She continued to
    Assert that they don't expire for another 2 months. Finally I politely ask if she can page a supervisor while ringing everything else up (so people wouldn't be held up). Manager comes, I explain the situation. Her response "oh no... gluten free just means the product doesn't expire". Wait, what?!? We gave up after that and literally laughed the entire way home.

^^ In bold
  • Shanel0916
    Options

Am now hunting thorough the thread for hints of polygamy but can find no reference to "sister wife", where was this?

It's in the very first post. @elphie754 does have a sister wife, she's discussed her relationship in other threads in the past.

Guess I don't frequent the forums enough to know this.
  • snickerscharlie
    snickerscharlie Posts: 8,578 Member
    Options

It's in the very first post. @elphie754 does have a sister wife, she's discussed her relationship in other threads in the past.

Yes, she has. <3
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Options
    What the hell is a sister wife?
  • Shanel0916
    Options

When a man has more than one wife.
  • lokihen
    lokihen Posts: 382 Member
    Options
    Totally off-topic, but would there also be brother husbands?
  • elphie754
    Options

Sister wife is correct. We are a trio, kind of thought that was well knowna out me here.
    kshama2001 wrote: »

Guess I don't frequent the forums enough to know this.

I look forward to the day when more people are out of the closet with their out-of-the-mainstream relationships. I'm out as kinky to close friends and family.

It's my family, I shouldnt have to hide my family. And if people have an issue with it, too bad.

Usually indicates that a man has more than one significant other (in a consensual way, not as an affair). Although have seen the term mean afew other things as well.
  • elphie754
    Options
    lokihen wrote: »
    Totally off-topic, but would there also be brother husbands?

I have certainly seen and met families that have more than one male in the house hold.
  • CattOfTheGarage
    Options
    Hope I didn't offend @elphie754, I honestly thought it was a typo. I've come across the term before and was familiar with it. I've never heard of a brother husband, but it's logical as a term for the male equivalent.

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I had this happen at my local store just recently with a different product. it was more than a year expired. I looked up laws because I swore ithad to be against the law or the FDA or whatever to sell food that is that far expired. nope!,in some states they can legally sell expired food.I was shocked. The only exception is alcohol/baby formula, they have to throw that out.