Tonight I had the dumbest conversation with target staff

Replies

• elphie754
    elphie754 Posts: 7,574 Member
    edited February 2017
    Hope I didn't offend @elphie754, I honestly thought it was a typo. I've come across the term before and was familiar with it. I've never heard of a brother husband, but it's logical as a term for the male equivalent.

Absolutely not. I'd rather someone ask and answer their questions rather than have the assume and make the wrong assumptions.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 28,053 Member
    Shanel0916 wrote: »
    What the hell is a sister wife?

When a man has more than one wife.

Well, not more than one wife, as that would be illegal (in the US anyway).

I've been in trios, and would support legalizing marriage to more than one person, but I don't know where to draw the line. I'm definitely fine with three, but after that get hazy. And am not ok with the many many multiple wives like in the compound on Big Love.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
  • Tacklewasher
    Tacklewasher Posts: 7,122 Member
    elphie754 wrote: »
    Sure enoughshe stopped at target on her way home for cat litter (apparently this is non-negotiable in the house lol). Guess what was back on the shelves....... I would have dumpednitnin the nearby garbage, but she left it so the secret shopper would be able to see it.

Give Target corporate another call to let them know. Just a suggestion.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,028 Member
    Sure enoughshe stopped at target on her way home for cat litter (apparently this is non-negotiable in the house lol). Guess what was back on the shelves....... I would have dumpednitnin the nearby garbage, but she left it so the secret shopper would be able to see it.

I agree with this! Did your SO get some pictures? They are unbelievable!
  • malibu927
    malibu927 Posts: 17,562 Member

Wow. At least it's a secret shopper who's going to fill them in and not the health department.
  • elphie754

Might be a bit late-it's after 5 here, but can try.

I agree with this! Did your SO get some pictures? They are unbelievable!

She didnt, but she is still there so texted her to get some pictures.
  • JenHuedy
    JenHuedy Posts: 611 Member
    ahoy_m8 wrote: »
    TR0berts wrote: »
    Wait, was it frozen or refrigerated? If frozen, it's not dangerous (but almost certainly dried out and nasty after that length of time).

Freezing doesn't stop food from rotting/going bad - it just slows it down. The colder the temp, the longer it (generally) takes. But freezing won't stop the process - not unless you hit 0 K.

Tell that to the frozen baby mammoths!

Seriously, you're mistaken on this. Freezing to -18C (0F, which is the temperature of a home freezer) stops microbial activity and guarantees food safety indefinitely. What it doesn't stop is drying out and deteriorating due to enzyme activity.

So frozen food still deteriorates, but safely - it does not rot and it does not go bad. It just dries out and gets nasty, and possibly rancid in the case of fatty food - but rancidity is not dangerous, it just tastes bad.

If you don't believe me (and why would you? I'm just an Internet stranger) check out the USDA's word on the subject - https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/freezing-and-food-safety/CT_Index

I made the mistake of cooking and eating chicken that I thought was safe because it was frozen-never again. Not I labelmwhen it goes in the freezer.

Assuming the freezer was working properly, it must have already have been bad before it was frozen. Otherwise there was a fault with the freezer.

What I've quoted above is the science on the subject and USDA's official advice - and they are not cavalier when it comes to food safety, they are firmly towards to anal end of the spectrum.

What about Listeria? A la Blue Bell ice cream?

In the case of Blue Bell, the Listeria was present in the product before it was frozen. Freezing at proper temps will not kill off existing bacteria, but it does prevent them from multiplying.
  • elphie754
    JenHuedy wrote: »
    Wait, was it frozen or refrigerated? If frozen, it's not dangerous (but almost certainly dried out and nasty after that length of time).

Freezing doesn't stop food from rotting/going bad - it just slows it down. The colder the temp, the longer it (generally) takes. But freezing won't stop the process - not unless you hit 0 K.

Seriously, you're mistaken on this. Freezing to -18C (0F, which is the temperature of a home freezer) stops microbial activity and guarantees food safety indefinitely. What it doesn't stop is drying out and deteriorating due to enzyme activity.

So frozen food still deteriorates, but safely - it does not rot and it does not go bad. It just dries out and gets nasty, and possibly rancid in the case of fatty food - but rancidity is not dangerous, it just tastes bad.

If you don't believe me (and why would you? I'm just an Internet stranger) check out the USDA's word on the subject - https://www.fsis.usda.gov/wps/portal/fsis/topics/food-safety-education/get-answers/food-safety-fact-sheets/safe-food-handling/freezing-and-food-safety/CT_Index

I made the mistake of cooking and eating chicken that I thought was safe because it was frozen-never again. Not I labelmwhen it goes in the freezer.

Assuming the freezer was working properly, it must have already have been bad before it was frozen. Otherwise there was a fault with the freezer.

What I've quoted above is the science on the subject and USDA's official advice - and they are not cavalier when it comes to food safety, they are firmly towards to anal end of the spectrum.

In the case of Blue Bell, the Listeria was present in the product before it was frozen. Freezing at proper temps will not kill off existing bacteria, but it does prevent them from multiplying.

This has always kind of scared me since I was a teen (contaminated food). I know I can't go around being afraid of all good because anything is possible to be contaminated, but I try to stay away from things that have had issues in the past/have been recalled in the past.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    Usually indicates that a man has more than one significant other (in a consensual way, not as an affair). Although have seen the term mean afew other things as well.

Yikes.
  • fitmom4lifemfp
    fitmom4lifemfp Posts: 1,575 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I've been in trios, and would support legalizing marriage to more than one person, but I don't know where to draw the line. I'm definitely fine with three, but after that get hazy. And am not ok with the many many multiple wives like in the compound on Big Love.

I would draw the line at one. No freaking way.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    kshama2001 wrote: »

I would draw the line at one. No freaking way.

I dont see the issue with more than one wife ,IF they are all consenting adults,when it comes to marrying off underage girls to perverted old men,Then NO. But I sure as heck couldnt share my hubby,to each their own though.
  • Alatariel75
    Alatariel75 Posts: 18,028 Member
    Heh, this is my fault and can't be blamed on Target or any other retailer, but on the weekend I cleaned out my baking shelf and threw out a container of Gelatine that had expired in...

... wait for it...

I don't even know how it got there, I was living in another country in 2009, for goodness sake, and certainly didn't bring any ingredients home with me.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    After the Fort McMurray fire the local Wal-Mart has been charged for restocking the shelves authorities had identified as contaminated. No excuse.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member
    ninerbuff wrote: »
    Lol, if that were true, then why an expiration date? People are dumb.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

There are expiration dates on canned goods, but the food bank accepts them 18 months past.
  • Dnarules
    Dnarules Posts: 2,081 Member

Listeria will not grow in the freezer, but it can grow in the refrigerator. Unfortunately, freezers don't always maintain temp due to opening and closing. And listeria doesn't die in the freezer.
  • cerise_noir
    cerise_noir Posts: 5,468 Member
    Elphie, I hope that mystery shopper (?) nails them! A year past expiry.... nope!
    Heh, this is my fault and can't be blamed on Target or any other retailer, but on the weekend I cleaned out my baking shelf and threw out a container of Gelatine that had expired in...

... wait for it...

I don't even know how it got there, I was living in another country in 2009, for goodness sake, and certainly didn't bring any ingredients home with me.

Mmmmgross. :laugh:

My husbands grandmother had a can of cheddar soup that expired in 1989 that she refused to throw out. That was fun.
  • Nony_Mouse
    Nony_Mouse Posts: 5,646 Member
    Usually indicates that a man has more than one significant other (in a consensual way, not as an affair). Although have seen the term mean afew other things as well.

Yikes.

And it affects you how exactly?

@elphie754 I'm glad you got a good response from the manufacturer and from Target Head Office. The stupidity of some people just never ceases to amaze me...