Metabolism Boosters

For the last 3 week, I noticed that my digestion has been very slow, along with sluggish workouts. I have noticed that I feel like my metabolism has slowed down and I feel like I'm putting on weight in my lower abdomin (not exactly sure, could just be due to slow digestion) and that has made me feel bad about myself. What are some good ways or any supplements I could take to boost it and get my digestion working and better workouts? I been taking enzymes to help with digestion and I have not cut my calories or changed my cardio. I tried increasing my calories today but that made my workout even more harder. I feel so heavy in my legs that it feels impossible to do my workout.

Replies

• CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    there is nothing that will boost metabolism pill or supplement wise. if you are having sluggish workouts either you arent eating enough or something is wrong,especially if its happening more and more.your metabolism hasnt slowed down unless you have been crash dieting or eating VLCD for some time.exercise and putting on muscle can boost metabolism a bit,but thats about it.how do you know your digestion is slow? if you are having issues digesting food. see a dr. could you be pregnant? that could explain the tiredness and the weight in the abdomen.
  • I'm a Virgin so that's not a possibility, my food apparently just sits in my stomach and takes forever to digest when it use to digest pretty quickly. I don't necessary so low carb because I do intense workouts on my treadmill everyday. I also try to stay away from caffeine because it keeps me up, unless that might work. I don't do crash diets and don't plan on doing so. I'm just out of options right now.
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    I don't think a person can actually feel their metabolism slow down, that simply is not how it works. Legally, there are no metabolism boosters. It sounds more like you need to consider what you are eating and why it is seemingly so slow to digest. You may need more fiber or fat or both. I am curious how you know how long it is taking for the food to pass? Is it just feeling, or do you have actual evidence your digestion is slow. If dietary changes don't help, you may want to see a doctor to eliminate possible medical causes. Even staying away from caffeine, if you like coffee, on in the morning may help speed things along, and it shouldn't cause sleep issues since the caffeine will be out of your system by evening.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I don't think a person can actually feel their metabolism slow down, that simply is not how it works. Legally, there are no metabolism boosters. It sounds more like you need to consider what you are eating and why it is seemingly so slow to digest. You may need more fiber or fat or both. I am curious how you know how long it is taking for the food to pass? Is it just feeling, or do you have actual evidence your digestion is slow. If dietary changes don't help, you may want to see a doctor to eliminate possible medical causes. Even staying away from caffeine, if you like coffee, on in the morning may help speed things along, and it shouldn't cause sleep issues since the caffeine will be out of your system by evening.

I agree with this. but I would see a doctor if you feel something is off or wrong.caffeine may give you the boost you need but if you just started feeling like this then have them run a blood panel just to rule anything out.tell them how you are feeling with the heavy legs,no energy and so on as well.VLCD means very low calorie diet, I didnt say anything about carbs.
  • I'll start with drinking caffeine in the mornings again and see if that helps.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    How many calories are you eating? What do your macros look like? Have you had a blood test lately?
  • I eat around 1400-1500 on weekdays but eat more on weekends
  • I also tend to eat low fat, high protein, fiber, and carbs. My net carbs vary between 120-200ish. Mostly 170-190 net.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Don't confuse the rate at which food makes it through your digestive system with metabolism. The trip through the digestive system is a physical process rather than chemical. People worry about their metabolism a lot, but it is rare for people to have anything but a normal metabolism. Sluggish workouts are more commonly caused by lack of rest than by what is going on with the food in your digestive system. The exception would be if you work out for over and hour and start to feel sluggish. That could be caused by a lack of available carbs.
  • I took 2 rest days, day after I felt good, second day wasn't so bad, but today, I ate a little more and then I didn't have such a fun workout. My legs felt very heavy but I pushed through it. I just feel like I have a slow digestion and I was getting worried my metabolism was slowing down because I haven't done any type of crash diets and thought slow digestion and sluggishness was part of it.
  • JeanieWww
    JeanieWww Posts: 4,037 Member
    actually there are doctor prescribed meds that DO boost your metabolism, but normally they don't prescribe them unless you have your heart checked and are morbidly obese. If you're wanting to try to boost your metabolism, look at foods that are great for your thyroid. Ones that help it do its job more effeciently. Also look at ones that aren't great for it. Compare that to what you've been eating. Sometimes, and I hate to say this, but if you haven't pooped enough, that can make you sluggish and heavy feeling in your tummy. You may also feel that way as you near your period.
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,920 Member
    I took 2 rest days, day after I felt good, second day wasn't so bad, but today, I ate a little more and then I didn't have such a fun workout. My legs felt very heavy but I pushed through it. I just feel like I have a slow digestion and I was getting worried my metabolism was slowing down because I haven't done any type of crash diets and thought slow digestion and sluggishness was part of it.
    Well rest also means sleeping and not just time off from working out. Also if you've been stressed/have had anxiety more lately, this can affect you fully resting.

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png

• ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,920 Member
    JeanieWww wrote: »
    actually there are doctor prescribed meds that DO boost your metabolism, but normally they don't prescribe them unless you have your heart checked and are morbidly obese.
    What meds are these? There are only a handful of drugs I know that actually work and in most cases a doctor wouldn't prescribe them if they were just obese.
    Are we talking amphetamines or hormonals like Cytomel or T3,T4?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • Ehmmbee92
    Ehmmbee92 Posts: 3 Member
    Maybe up your water intake?
  • Jeannie3099
    Jeannie3099 Posts: 61 Member
    Forget the medications to speed up your metabolism. Exercise, even moderate, is the best thing. Some Yoga or meditation to get your head together and then.....try getting together with good friends. No drinking or drugs, just talking. A good mental attitude goes a long way to having a good outlook on life and feeling like getting out of bed in the morning!!
    I am going to be 70 next year. Older than dirt? Maybe, but I have a good mental attitude. Keep busy, have fun, laugh a lot, love a whole bunch!
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    For the last 3 week, I noticed that my digestion has been very slow, along with sluggish workouts. I have noticed that I feel like my metabolism has slowed down and I feel like I'm putting on weight in my lower abdomin (not exactly sure, could just be due to slow digestion) and that has made me feel bad about myself. What are some good ways or any supplements I could take to boost it and get my digestion working and better workouts? I been taking enzymes to help with digestion and I have not cut my calories or changed my cardio. I tried increasing my calories today but that made my workout even more harder. I feel so heavy in my legs that it feels impossible to do my workout.

have you weighed yourself to see if you've put on weight?

are you not pooping?
  • So far I have been maintaining my weight and don't want to lose or gain but I hate always feeling bloated/fat and sluggish. I do go to the bathroom regularly everyday but I haven't had a period in a long time. Could it be my hormones?
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    edited February 2017
    So far I have been maintaining my weight and don't want to lose or gain but I hate always feeling bloated/fat and sluggish. I do go to the bathroom regularly everyday but I haven't had a period in a long time. Could it be my hormones?

how long is 'a long time'? is it normal for you to not have regular periods?
  • I haven't had a regular one since August of 2015, but back in December I finally got on 2 types of BC but they hurt me where my body aches all the time and I have no energy but after I stopped, I finally got a normal period but then it stopped. I go back to the doctor soon and she told me she will prescribe me with the mini BC.
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    When you say low fat, now low are we talking? Also, I would highly recommend getting some blood work. There are several things that can cause these issues.

Also, what enzymes are you on?