Metabolism Boosters

Replies

• I tend to eat under 30 grams of fat but my average is 20 grams during week days but I don't count them on the weekends. The enzymes I'm taking are RainbowLight Advance Enzyme System. They seem to help me.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I tend to eat under 30 grams of fat but my average is 20 grams during week days but I don't count them on the weekends. The enzymes I'm taking are RainbowLight Advance Enzyme System. They seem to help me.

is there a reason to be so low fat?
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    I tend to eat under 30 grams of fat but my average is 20 grams during week days but I don't count them on the weekends. The enzymes I'm taking are RainbowLight Advance Enzyme System. They seem to help me.

There is probably a good chance that is the problem. Fats support hormone health. So going very low fat, you risk a deficiency (since you need a specific amount of linoleic and alpha-linolenic fatty acids). You need 11g of these, and it unlikely to get all of them when only eating 20 to 30g. I would personally bump up fats to 50 or 60g in replace of carbs to see if that changes.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    How long before a workout are you eating and what do you eat before a workout?
  • ninerbuff
    ninerbuff Posts: 48,920 Member
    Also, what are your current stats?

A.C.E. Certified Personal and Group Fitness Trainer
    IDEA Fitness member
    Kickboxing Certified Instructor
    Been in fitness for 30 years and have studied kinesiology and nutrition

9285851.png
  • I suppose it's habit for me to be low fat. And I usually wait 2-3 hours after eating before a workout.
  • TavistockToad
    TavistockToad Posts: 35,719 Member
    I suppose it's habit for me to be low fat. And I usually wait 2-3 hours after eating before a workout.

try eating more
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,422 MFP Moderator
    I suppose it's habit for me to be low fat. And I usually wait 2-3 hours after eating before a workout.

What are your stats?

Also, I would recommend incorporating some things like greek yogurt, fish, avocado, nuts and seeds. These things are great sources of unsaturated fatty acids.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    edited February 2017
    Up your fat to 50-60g/day, drop other macros if you have to. Stop taking the RainbowLight Advance Enzyme System unless you have a specific reason to be taking it. Drink more water, and consider working out fasted. When I was overweight I had the same issues, I thought my digestion was 3 times slower than other people's and that's why I was fat. Nope, it was lack of exercise and a sedentary lifestyle. It seems you've fixed the sedentary part with the treadmill so that's good but you're not getting enough fat, your hormones are going to be out of whack.

Post your stats and people can recommend a good macro split for you that should be more healthy. But otherwise I suggest:

1) Up your fat intake. It's too low.
    2) Track fiber instead of sugar in your diary (if you have not done so already). Try to get the daily recommended amount, even the default recommendation from MFP is fine.
    3) Drink lots of water each day to help the fiber do it's thing. You should be drinking up to a gallon a day, minimum of a half gallon depending on your overall size.
    4) If you don't need the enzyme stuff, don't take it. It could be causing part of your problem. Products like that are good short term to help with digestion but long term they can sometimes cause the opposite effect.

If that doesn't work after a few weeks, consult a doctor for possible IBS symtoms or Crohn's testing. I'd say though, natural fixes like enough fiber, enough water, and enough fat to support healthy hormone levels would work at your age. You're young, you need your hormones working correctly. Just my opinion.

Low fat is great because it also means low calorie, but if you are a shorter/smaller person (IE: Not tall, not saying anything bad about it) your caloric requirements are lower than taller people so too many low fat food items just to keep the volume of food high and the calories low can cause you not to get enough fat in your diet.

Working out fasted, for me, keeps me from being sluggish. Even if I wait several hours after eating for the day before working out it makes me peter out faster during my workouts. If, however, I work out before I eat for the day I have much more energy. I eat afterward.

Just my .02, I'm no expert and freely admit that. ;)
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    edited February 2017
    I agree with the advice above. Increase your fat consumption keeping it within your calorie goal.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    CharlieBeansmomTracey Posts: 7,682 Member
    I agree with the others. your fat is way too low. that can be whats causing you to not have a period. fat helps with hormones.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    JeanieWww wrote: »
    actually there are doctor prescribed meds that DO boost your metabolism, but normally they don't prescribe them unless you have your heart checked and are morbidly obese. If you're wanting to try to boost your metabolism, look at foods that are great for your thyroid. Ones that help it do its job more effeciently. Also look at ones that aren't great for it. Compare that to what you've been eating. Sometimes, and I hate to say this, but if you haven't pooped enough, that can make you sluggish and heavy feeling in your tummy. You may also feel that way as you near your period.

why does she need to eat foods that are great for her thyroid? she didnt say she had a thyroid issue.Also,what foods help with thyroid to be more productive? Im pretty sure hormones have a lot to do with that as well.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    I think if the OP could post her stats, Height, Weight, Exercise routine, many of us could post a suggested macro split and calorie goal. It's likely a combination of not eating enough, working out too much, and not getting enough fat or other macros. Many people restrict their calories to lose weight (that's what we all came here for right?) but when they hit their goal they are in a plateau or something close to that and are afraid to increase their calories to what their maintenance level should be. I did the same thing, I increased my calories but not enough and was still losing about a quarter of a pound a week even though I thought I was at maintenance. I found that I could still significantly raise my calories and still be at my goal weight +/- 2-3 lbs and feel much better. It took time though to wrap my mind around it. I purposely went 5 lbs below my target weight because I figured that when I increased my calories I would gain a little. I was right but held off a bit longer than I likely should and managed to lose a few more pounds before I evened out and then had to gain some of it back then try and level out again. It's a learning curve for sure, but one thing is for certain, eating more makes you a stronger athlete, and you can do it without gaining a lot of weight as long as you keep up the exercise routine. Again, just my .02.

https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/what-really-causes-irregular-menstrual-cycles-in-female-athletes
  • rileysowner
    rileysowner Posts: 8,313 Member
    In many ways what she is experiencing sounds like the early stages of over training. Not having details on stats, activity, exercise it is really difficult to say. Regardless, the fat amount needs to be increased.
  • LivingtheLeanDream
    LivingtheLeanDream Posts: 13,342 Member
    I didn't think we felt our metabolisms slow down! certain foods can make us feel slow and sluggish /bloated.

If you're wanting help your metabolism...move more! :smiley:
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    I think if the OP could post her stats, Height, Weight, Exercise routine, many of us could post a suggested macro split and calorie goal. It's likely a combination of not eating enough, working out too much, and not getting enough fat or other macros. Many people restrict their calories to lose weight (that's what we all came here for right?) but when they hit their goal they are in a plateau or something close to that and are afraid to increase their calories to what their maintenance level should be. I did the same thing, I increased my calories but not enough and was still losing about a quarter of a pound a week even though I thought I was at maintenance. I found that I could still significantly raise my calories and still be at my goal weight +/- 2-3 lbs and feel much better. It took time though to wrap my mind around it. I purposely went 5 lbs below my target weight because I figured that when I increased my calories I would gain a little. I was right but held off a bit longer than I likely should and managed to lose a few more pounds before I evened out and then had to gain some of it back then try and level out again. It's a learning curve for sure, but one thing is for certain, eating more makes you a stronger athlete, and you can do it without gaining a lot of weight as long as you keep up the exercise routine. Again, just my .02.

https://breakingmuscle.com/learn/what-really-causes-irregular-menstrual-cycles-in-female-athletes

I stated she may not be eating enough. overtraining could definitely be it too.
  • I'm 5'2, my weight fluctuates around 114-123 lbs, I track everything on weekdays, I been doing intense workout for about 4 years, 2 hours on an incline treadmill (38 incline at 3.8 mph which is very intense). I do track macros but I don't follow a IIFYM kind of diet because I would like to eat whatever I want but I do eat very healthy foods during the weekdays and weekends have treats and my cheat meal. I always eat high fiber and low sugar foods, I count net carbs but eat a high carb low fat diet, it says I need to eat at least 112 grams of protein but a lot of times I go over that because I love quest bars and meat. Since I tend to eat 1400-1500 on weekday and whatever on weekends, sometimes I have good workouts and for the last 2-3 weeks they have not been fun. I try eating more like at least 1800 because that's my goal but for some reason, if I eat more than 1400, my workouts are horrible. I feel weaker which doesn't make any sense at all. I take at least 1 day off and eat whatever I want and the next day I have lots of energy but then after that when I go back to normal or try to eat more, I feel weak. I do stick to the same types of foods on weekdays like quest bars, CarbMaster yogurts, high fiber low carb tortillas, light progreso soup, 2 100 calorie popcorn packs, potatoes (I eat baked potatos everyday), halo top, salad, vegetables, sometimes VitaTop, seasoned tilapia, cheddar rice cakes, and I drink 1-1.5 gallons of water a day.
  • My diary is open if anyone wants to see my typical meals.
  • CharlieBeansmomTracey
    My diary is open if anyone wants to see my typical meals.

ok first of all your calorie burns are HIGHLY exaggerated,no way in 115 min you can burn over 4000 calories. another thing is you arent weighing your food,so a lot of your entries are saying they are more calories than what they should be,some are under. so the entries you are picking seem off.are you using any butter,sour cream,etc to out on your potato?. a lot of things are off. your goal is set to 2300 but you said its 1800. get a food scale and weigh everything and pick correct entries for at least a week and see where you really are calorie wise. some days it looks like you are under by quite a bit.I would try to get more fruits and veggies in too. I dont see many of those things.you do eat a lot of sodium so I would say you are probably retaining a lot of water.
  • leajas1
    leajas1 Posts: 823 Member
    In addition to seeing a doctor, maybe take a full rest week while eating at maintenance.