Planet fitness

Options
I want to join planet fitness. Any thoughts, or anything you want me to know about. Please tell. Thanks.

Replies

• kksmom1789
    kksmom1789 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    I loved planet fitness and lost weight not as much as I could of because I didn't have the knowledge then about calorie counting
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,996 Member
    Options
    What are your goals? If you are a competitive lifter, Planet Fitness is not for you, but you'd already know that and wouldn't be asking.

There's a new PF near me and I'll probably join it when the new equipment smell dissipates.

Some people hate PF's "normal gyms are scary but we are safe" business philosophy so avoid it for that reason.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,867 Member
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    What are your goals? If you are a competitive lifter, Planet Fitness is not for you, but you'd already know that and wouldn't be asking.

There's a new PF near me and I'll probably join it when the new equipment smell dissipates.

Some people hate PF's "normal gyms are scary but we are safe" business philosophy so avoid it for that reason.

I don't think you have to be a competitive lifter...I'm not a competitive lifter in the least...but I was brought up working in the gym with traditional compound movements at the foundation of a good lifting program, most of which aren't allowed, even though they are basically the foundation of any solid program.
  • kshama2001
    Options
    Lol, the new PF near me has two pictures of weights, two of cardio, and the rest are of things like the water fountain and locker rooms. Despite that being incredibly lame, I am confident they have more than enough equipment for me.
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    Take the tour. decide if your local PF is a good fit for you.

They're a franchise system so YMMV.
  • TimothyFish
    TimothyFish Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I've heard that they have kicked people out for openly disagreeing with their political views.
  • kshama2001
    edited February 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

I don't think you have to be a competitive lifter...I'm not a competitive lifter in the least...but I was brought up working in the gym with traditional compound movements at the foundation of a good lifting program, most of which aren't allowed, even though they are basically the foundation of any solid program.

I'm used to having to do a lot of modifications due to my knees and lower back, so if I belonged to a facility that didn't allow deadlifts I'd find some other way to accomplish similar benefits. Like they say in yoga, "There are 80 postures and 1,000 variations."

But I can understand if you've been doing deadlifts for decades not wanting to join a gym that doesn't allow them.

And I agree that prohibiting lifts like deadlifts and the other anti-serious lifter policies they have are lame. However, for $10/month and my fitness goals and abilities I would personally put up with it.
  • Colorscheme
    Colorscheme Posts: 1,179 Member
    Options
    I like the one by me. Has lots of cardio machines and equipment, I see buff dudes there lifting all the time. Never heard the lunk alarm go off and the one by me doesn't do pizza and bagels once a month.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    I go to PF. They are a basic no frills gym. Cardio machines that vary by location. Weight machines, decent assortment of free weights and fixed barbells. Depending on amount and availability of equipment there could be potential for overcrowding (happens in weight section of mine alot). IMHO, if your goal is bodybuilding, exercise classes, or powerlifting it is not the gym for you. My primary work out is at home, so it gets the job done.
  • englishmuffinruns
    englishmuffinruns Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    I will echo the "starter" comment. I was a member for a couple of years before I got into running. What finally lured me away was the opportunity to take classes (spin, zumba/hip hop) with several of my running friends at their gym. It was a great place to get into the routine of working out regularly but my goals changed and they couldn't keep up with them.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options

I'm used to having to do a lot of modifications due to my knees and lower back, so if I belonged to a facility that didn't allow deadlifts I'd find some other way to accomplish similar benefits. Like they say in yoga, "There are 80 postures and 1,000 variations."

But I can understand if you've been doing deadlifts for decades not wanting to join a gym that doesn't allow them.

And I agree that prohibiting lifts like deadlifts and the other anti-serious lifter policies they have are lame. However, for $10/month and my fitness goals and abilities I would personally put up with it.

there is really no substitute for a deadlift...romanians maybe, but that is going to work hamstrings and glutes..so no..
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options
    I go to one because of price and location. It is clean, always open, and no issues with the staff. They have never said a word to any of us for deadlifting. My only real complaints would be the Smith machines instead of free weights and that the dumbells only go up to 60 pounds.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,136 Member
    Options
    Chadxx wrote: »
    I go to one because of price and location. It is clean, always open, and no issues with the staff. They have never said a word to any of us for deadlifting. My only real complaints would be the Smith machines instead of free weights and that the dumbells only go up to 60 pounds.

if you are deadlifting in the smith you may not be getting the true benefit of deadlifting with a bar on the floor...
  • kaizaku
    kaizaku Posts: 1,039 Member
    Options
    uyai11 wrote: »
    I want to join planet fitness. Any thoughts, or anything you want me to know about. Please tell. Thanks.

I heard they have a free pizza day. ☺
  • stanmann571
    stanmann571 Posts: 5,728 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

there is really no substitute for a deadlift...romanians maybe, but that is going to work hamstrings and glutes..so no..

I've seen more than a couple people doing heavyish(2-3 plate) deadlifts on the smiths.

So, while that may be policy, it's not evenly enforced.

And I know smith deadlifts and squats aren't exactly deadlifts and squats, but that's a different discussion.
  • newheavensearth
    newheavensearth Posts: 870 Member
    Options
    kaizaku wrote: »
    uyai11 wrote: »

I heard they have a free pizza day. ☺

They also have free bagel day.
  • RamTodd
    RamTodd Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    Inexpensive - but stupid alarms go off when people work too hard!