Planet fitness

Options

Replies

• CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »
    Slight derailment - do they actually use that alarm? I'm really hoping it's just for show and not a real thing. :s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8eAj08nAFP4

yup

Was just about to post the same video. There are tons more like it on YouTube.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Slight derailment - do they actually use that alarm? I'm really hoping it's just for show and not a real thing. :s

yup

this is probably better example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aKXjStndpIc
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    cqbkaju wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the contestants regained the weight because it was lost in an unsustainable way. There is a pretty big difference between how they lived on the show and real life. Are you saying we should reconsider PF because they sponsored the show? Or because that is where the contestants did their workouts? I'm not sure I'm following your logic on this, sorry.
    I am saying the methodology used and endorsed by Planet Fitness is in itself unsustainable and inefficient for maintaining fitness in the long-term.

Planet Fitness knows this and are OK with it, because it is how they make money.

http://www.menshealth.com/fitness/planet-fitness-is-not-a-gym

Can you be more specific? Why unsustainable? Or I should ask, why is any more unsustainable or inefficient than anything else, if one sticks to it? I would think efficiency would come down to goals. My goals basically revolve around burning off excess sugar so my FBG is in range so PF is efficient. Someone who lifts heavy would find it inefficient and I don't think anyone has said differently. They make money because they're inexpensive and the good ones are clean, bright, and have enough equipment for your average person who just wants to get a little more fit, rather than train for marathons (though maybe marathon trainers use it too, I don't know) or weight lifting competitions. Kudos to those who want to do those things, but I don't . If they were only inexpensive, but dirty, inconvenient, had broken equipment, etc, they would lose business and shut down. Its ok to not like PF, I just don't get the hardcore sell against it on this site.

Because they essentially "fit shame." They essentially make it out that if you're someone who lifts using traditional compound movements, you are just some lunk...even in your statement you mentioned competitive lifters...most people I know who lift using compound movements or Olympic movements are not competitive lifters...people do these movements because they are typically at the core of any good lifting program.

They also prey upon "noob fears" and make it out like all of these other gyms are very scary places with all of these lunks running around with their dead-lifts and whatnot. One of my good gym friends is a 74 year old man...he does cleans and jerks and dead-lifts and squats...he's quite frightening.

Everyone keeps throwing that "fit shaming" thing out there but I've honestly never seen that. The commercials are exaggerated but I've never felt they were shaming anyone, just poking fun at idiots. Idiots because of they way they act, not because they're fit. I'm not sure mine even has the lunk thing. I've never seen or heard of it going off. The "lunks" on the commercials are called that because of the way they act about their bodies. Like I said, I've seen people of all shapes, sizes, and fitness levels there and never any disrespect. Most of the people I know who go to PF try it out because of the cost, not out of fear of somewhere else. That's awesome that your friend can do all that, but not everyone wants to. Like I've said several times now, someone who lifts heavy won't find PF to their liking. Sometimes a gym/fitness center/wellness center/call it what you will just needs to be clean, convenient and cheap.

And not everybody has too...but why would a "gym" ban certain, very common and traditional movements? Because if you do those movements, you are obviously a lunk...not a fitness enthusiast or athlete...you are a stupid idiot lunk. That is fit shaming.

Look at it this way...if they caricaturized fat people as lazy and stupid in their commercials, how well do you think that would go over?

I was a PF member years ago and thought that their laundry list of rules was pretty over the top...and yes, I've heard the lunk alarm go off.
  • RachaelRenk
    RachaelRenk Posts: 116 Member
    Options

yup

Oh my god, that was awful. They're trying to get the alarm set off, right? :p
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    jdhcm2006 wrote: »
    I'm pretty sure the contestants regained the weight because it was lost in an unsustainable way. There is a pretty big difference between how they lived on the show and real life. Are you saying we should reconsider PF because they sponsored the show? Or because that is where the contestants did their workouts? I'm not sure I'm following your logic on this, sorry.
    I am saying the methodology used and endorsed by Planet Fitness is in itself unsustainable and inefficient for maintaining fitness in the long-term.

Planet Fitness knows this and are OK with it, because it is how they make money.

Can you be more specific? Why unsustainable? Or I should ask, why is any more unsustainable or inefficient than anything else, if one sticks to it? I would think efficiency would come down to goals. My goals basically revolve around burning off excess sugar so my FBG is in range so PF is efficient. Someone who lifts heavy would find it inefficient and I don't think anyone has said differently. They make money because they're inexpensive and the good ones are clean, bright, and have enough equipment for your average person who just wants to get a little more fit, rather than train for marathons (though maybe marathon trainers use it too, I don't know) or weight lifting competitions. Kudos to those who want to do those things, but I don't . If they were only inexpensive, but dirty, inconvenient, had broken equipment, etc, they would lose business and shut down. Its ok to not like PF, I just don't get the hardcore sell against it on this site.

Because they essentially "fit shame." They essentially make it out that if you're someone who lifts using traditional compound movements, you are just some lunk...even in your statement you mentioned competitive lifters...most people I know who lift using compound movements or Olympic movements are not competitive lifters...people do these movements because they are typically at the core of any good lifting program.

They also prey upon "noob fears" and make it out like all of these other gyms are very scary places with all of these lunks running around with their dead-lifts and whatnot. One of my good gym friends is a 74 year old man...he does cleans and jerks and dead-lifts and squats...he's quite frightening.

Everyone keeps throwing that "fit shaming" thing out there but I've honestly never seen that. The commercials are exaggerated but I've never felt they were shaming anyone, just poking fun at idiots. Idiots because of they way they act, not because they're fit. I'm not sure mine even has the lunk thing. I've never seen or heard of it going off. The "lunks" on the commercials are called that because of the way they act about their bodies. Like I said, I've seen people of all shapes, sizes, and fitness levels there and never any disrespect. Most of the people I know who go to PF try it out because of the cost, not out of fear of somewhere else. That's awesome that your friend can do all that, but not everyone wants to. Like I've said several times now, someone who lifts heavy won't find PF to their liking. Sometimes a gym/fitness center/wellness center/call it what you will just needs to be clean, convenient and cheap.

you just did what you said that they don't do. You said they poke fun at "idiots." who are these idiots? the ones that lift heavy weights, because lunks, but don't worry we don't judge people...oh wait..or are you saying that everyone that lifts heavy runs around moaning like a pregnant woman and throwing weights around the gym like a 500# pound gorilla, but we don't judge..oh wait...

That's my question as well. Why is someone who cares about their body an idiot? Why is someone who drops the weights an idiot? Wouldn't they be an idiot b/c they didn't drop the weight and injured themselves b/c they didn't bail? Are they an idiot b/c they grunt? Grunting happens in regular, everyday life. People grunt during bowel movements, does that make them a lunk? They're pushing a heavy load, lol. People grunt while playing tennis, football, basketball, but they aren't called lunks.

I grunt while learning new moves during pole b/c A) the ish is hard and B ) the ish is painful. The grunting subsides when I feel more comfortable in a move and have trained my brain and body to ignore the pain (or I've become desensitized to it).

Where did anyone say that someone caring about their body is an idiot? Someone jumping around screaming in someone's face is an idiot. Someone making exaggerated poses and faces in a mirror is mostly just ridiculous. Grunting happens at PF, again no lunk alarms and no disrespect.

Quoted from your post: The "lunks" on the commercials are called that because of the way they act about their bodies.

You didn't specify how they acted about their bodies, so I took it as you calling them idiots for daring to care about their bodies b/c they prefer to lift which makes them a lunk b/c they grunt and drop weights. But I'll give you that b/c you didn't say that outright.

But let's go into calling people idiots for looking in the mirror. How nonjudgmental. Also, why do you care what someone else does? How does it affect you? Are they looking in the mirror and blocking equipment you need? No, then let those people be. How do you know what they're doing? How do you know they aren't motivating themselves to be able to make it through their next lift? Chances are, it's their rest period b/c lifting takes a lot of energy. The heavier you lift, the longer the rest period.

The only time I've seen screaming in someone's face is during a bootcamp class, and people expect that. That's what they signed up for.

You seem to be taking these commercials as gospel and absolute truth, when they're actually over exaggerated stereotypes.

I specifically said, at least twice now, the bodybuilder in the commercial was making exaggerated poses and faces at himself in the mirror, which, yes, I find silly. Not because he was looking at himself in the mirror. Good grief. It was a commercial and I could care less what someone in real life does. The jumping and screaming was also a commercial. I've said already that I think people like this do exist (based on threads on MFP) but they are few and far between. I think you're being a little over-sensitive about all of this.
  • Fentyman
    Fentyman Posts: 58 Member
    Options

Yes, they use it.
  • ndj1979
    Options

yup

yea that one is a little outrageous..the second is just ridiculous...dude drops a dumbbell - barely - and it goes off..
  • ndj1979
    Options

you just did what you said that they don't do. You said they poke fun at "idiots." who are these idiots? the ones that lift heavy weights, because lunks, but don't worry we don't judge people...oh wait..or are you saying that everyone that lifts heavy runs around moaning like a pregnant woman and throwing weights around the gym like a 500# pound gorilla, but we don't judge..oh wait...

That's my question as well. Why is someone who cares about their body an idiot? Why is someone who drops the weights an idiot? Wouldn't they be an idiot b/c they didn't drop the weight and injured themselves b/c they didn't bail? Are they an idiot b/c they grunt? Grunting happens in regular, everyday life. People grunt during bowel movements, does that make them a lunk? They're pushing a heavy load, lol. People grunt while playing tennis, football, basketball, but they aren't called lunks.

I grunt while learning new moves during pole b/c A) the ish is hard and B ) the ish is painful. The grunting subsides when I feel more comfortable in a move and have trained my brain and body to ignore the pain (or I've become desensitized to it).

Where did anyone say that someone caring about their body is an idiot? Someone jumping around screaming in someone's face is an idiot. Someone making exaggerated poses and faces in a mirror is mostly just ridiculous. Grunting happens at PF, again no lunk alarms and no disrespect.

Quoted from your post: The "lunks" on the commercials are called that because of the way they act about their bodies.

You didn't specify how they acted about their bodies, so I took it as you calling them idiots for daring to care about their bodies b/c they prefer to lift which makes them a lunk b/c they grunt and drop weights. But I'll give you that b/c you didn't say that outright.

But let's go into calling people idiots for looking in the mirror. How nonjudgmental. Also, why do you care what someone else does? How does it affect you? Are they looking in the mirror and blocking equipment you need? No, then let those people be. How do you know what they're doing? How do you know they aren't motivating themselves to be able to make it through their next lift? Chances are, it's their rest period b/c lifting takes a lot of energy. The heavier you lift, the longer the rest period.

The only time I've seen screaming in someone's face is during a bootcamp class, and people expect that. That's what they signed up for.

You seem to be taking these commercials as gospel and absolute truth, when they're actually over exaggerated stereotypes.

I specifically said, at least twice now, the bodybuilder in the commercial was making exaggerated poses and faces at himself in the mirror, which, yes, I find silly. Not because he was looking at himself in the mirror. Good grief. It was a commercial and I could care less what someone in real life does. The jumping and screaming was also a commercial. I've said already that I think people like this do exist (based on threads on MFP) but they are few and far between. I think you're being a little over-sensitive about all of this.

I think you are being ridiculous in basing your views of how people in a gym act off MFP threads and PF commercials.
  • Chadxx
    Chadxx Posts: 1,199 Member
    Options

yup

Without a doubt
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options

This is the issue. You're bashing your idea of people who lift off of a PF commercial. You've said you've never seen someone act this way in real life, but you believe they exist in real life b/c of a commercial. And clearly you are bothered by it b/c you've gone so far as to call these people, who must exist b/c you saw it in a commercial, idiots.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/20/too-fit-for-planet-fitness_n_5002658.html
    I would be tempted to dismiss this story as unlikely, if it were not perfectly in line with Planet Fitness’s entire corporate mission statement: “No Gymtimidation. No Lunks.” This is a gym that specifically bans intense exercise. This is a gym that installs an actual alarm that may be pressed if someone is perceived to be working out too hard. This is a gym that once called the police on a customer who was “grunting” while squatting 500 pounds.
    If you squat 500 pounds you may make any god damn sound that you wish.

http://www.nytimes.com/2006/11/18/nyregion/18grunt.html
    Albert Argibay, a bodybuilder and a state correction officer, was at a Planet Fitness gym with 500 pounds of weight on his shoulders one afternoon this month when the club manager walked over and told him it was time to leave. Mr. Argibay, the manager explained, had violated one of the club’s most sacred and strictly enforced rules: He was grunting.
    Planet Fitness bills itself as “The Judgment Free Zone.” But in the weeks since Mr. Argibay was booted, a number of members have accused the gym of judging with extreme prejudice, saying the club humiliates members whose physiques are too chiseled and who take their workouts too seriously. And the incident has raised other imponderable questions.

http://www.foxsports.com/nfl/story/nfl-steve-weatherford-planet-fitness-grunting-060216
    Super Bowl champion and fitness fanatic Steve Weatherford went a little too hard in a Planet Fitness, and he posted a video last week after he says he was thrown out of the gym for "excessive breathing/grunting."

Planet Fitness refers to the siren Weatherford mentions as the "Lunk alarm."

Weatherford regularly shares videos of his (intense) workouts on Instagram and Snapchat.

On January 7, a Category 2 shitstorm exploded on Reddit when a Planet Fitness member complained that his local club had removed its only squat rack. By way of explanation, an employee told him “a customer complained that it was intimidating.”
    But you know what the weirdest part of the story is? That a Planet Fitness franchise still had a squat rack to remove.

“That’s not a typical Planet Fitness,” says McCall Gosselin, the company’s director of public relations. “Our clubs don’t have equipment like squat racks and Olympic benches. Our dumbbells only go up to 80 pounds.”

Understand that Gosselin isn’t apologizing for any of this. This is the company whose commercials make fun of bodybuilders and gym bunnies, the people most dedicated to serious training. This is the place with “lunk alarms” that go off when someone grunts while lifting.

And I could go on and on...

• kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    For years I worked at the local pizza joint in my town that PF orders from for Pizza Day. First Monday of the month was always crazy as I had to get two separate $200+ orders out the door and delivered on time. I don't miss that. And I don't partake of the pizza at my PF. I spent five years eating it, so I'm good... :D

Anyways, just here to basically repeat everyone else, based on my own experience.

I have a PF membership because it's literally at the end of my street. I've been going there for a little over four months now, and after the first month (about when I got brave enough to leave the elliptical and start doing strength training) I realized I'd need to find another gym in order to do the weight lifting I'm aiming for. There's no squat racks and only fixed barbells at my PF. The gym overall was really good for me as a beginner, particularly because it was so close and I really needed something close so I would have no excuse not to go. I get my cardio done there and do my best with what weight lifting equipment there is (I follow the Strong Curves program, currently, and I basically do almost nothing with barbells because of the awful selection at my PF).

Right now I'm just trying to decide if I want to add a second gym membership now, for weight lifting purposes, or wait until my contract is up and completely switch to a new gym. I have to say, for cardio purposes, it's really convenient and easy for me. No complaints there.

So, that's my 2 cents.

In your situation I would ask a staff member for advice on how to do Strong Curves with the equipment available.
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Re: the lunk alarm: I was at my local PF on a treadmill after midnight, pretty well maxing myself out. Some guys were in the area behind me doing some mild goofing off. The lunk alarm went off and damn near gave me a heart attack while I was exhausted, heated, red-faced and sweating buckets. Also obese at the time so you can imagine what my heart was doing. I found that way more upsetting than whatever the guys were doing.

That said, it was really convenient and I'd still be a member if it weren't for the fact that I work in a fitness center and get to use it for free. Purely out of convenience.

But that lunk alarm is not useful or amusing.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    hmhall85 wrote: »
    I've been a basic member for three months. It is clean, open when I want to exercise, and inexpensive. I use the weight machines (at my age and with my history of injuries, machines are only safe alternative for me). Even when crowded it has plenty of capacity. I've never heard the lunk alarm go off. I have a lot of weight training experience, so I have never used the trainers. The staff has always been helpful and friendly. The gym I use does not offer free food or sponsor socials. All things considered, It's a good fit for me.

Cleanliness is very important to me. I've quit a local gym because of lack thereof.

I also noticed that the new PF near me has better hours than any gym I've ever belonged to.
  • jdhcm2006
    jdhcm2006 Posts: 2,254 Member
    Options
    Re: the lunk alarm: I was at my local PF on a treadmill after midnight, pretty well maxing myself out. Some guys were in the area behind me doing some mild goofing off. The lunk alarm went off and damn near gave me a heart attack while I was exhausted, heated, red-faced and sweating buckets. Also obese at the time so you can imagine what my heart was doing. I found that way more upsetting than whatever the guys were doing.

That said, it was really convenient and I'd still be a member if it weren't for the fact that I work in a fitness center and get to use it for free. Purely out of convenience.

What's going to happen if/when the lunk alarm goes off and someone falls of the equipment b/c they're startled?
  • PaulaWallaDingDong
    PaulaWallaDingDong Posts: 4,641 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options

What's going to happen if/when the lunk alarm goes off and someone falls of the equipment b/c they're startled?

Good question. A typical waiver protects the establishment from responsibility for things the members do to themselves . Not necessarily from things the establishment does that result in harm to the member. If it ever happens Id be interested to see how it plays out.
  • srk369
    srk369 Posts: 256 Member
    Options
    Does PF still have a strict dress code? I remember hearing stories of women being asked to leave because their tank tops were too revealling??
  • catmomfat
    catmomfat Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I go to PF. It allows me to also go to my expensive Yoga Studio to take Barre/Nia and Power Yoga classes, and also get in basic weights and cardio. It's also five minutes from my house. The Yoga studio is in same shopping center so I see many people doing the same as me.
  • Packerjohn
    Packerjohn Posts: 4,855 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    For years I worked at the local pizza joint in my town that PF orders from for Pizza Day. First Monday of the month was always crazy as I had to get two separate $200+ orders out the door and delivered on time. I don't miss that. And I don't partake of the pizza at my PF. I spent five years eating it, so I'm good... :D

Anyways, just here to basically repeat everyone else, based on my own experience.

I have a PF membership because it's literally at the end of my street. I've been going there for a little over four months now, and after the first month (about when I got brave enough to leave the elliptical and start doing strength training) I realized I'd need to find another gym in order to do the weight lifting I'm aiming for. There's no squat racks and only fixed barbells at my PF. The gym overall was really good for me as a beginner, particularly because it was so close and I really needed something close so I would have no excuse not to go. I get my cardio done there and do my best with what weight lifting equipment there is (I follow the Strong Curves program, currently, and I basically do almost nothing with barbells because of the awful selection at my PF).

Right now I'm just trying to decide if I want to add a second gym membership now, for weight lifting purposes, or wait until my contract is up and completely switch to a new gym. I have to say, for cardio purposes, it's really convenient and easy for me. No complaints there.

So, that's my 2 cents.

In your situation I would ask a staff member for advice on how to do Strong Curves with the equipment available.

Do you think a Plant Fitness would have employees that could explain modifications to a lifting program?

From what I've heard about the place, seems like a stretch.