Planet fitness

Options

Replies

• DisneyDude85
    DisneyDude85 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    I have been going to PF since August. I have never seen the lunk alarm go off, the resident trainer has been nothing but helpful if she saw me out of form when I first started, she showed me the best way to squat on the smith machine, I go on my lunch at 1130 so its not too busy, and I pay $10. It fits my needs. Those are my $.02 :)
  • merrellmichael03
    Options
    I’m going to throw my two cents in here.
    I have a planet fitness membership. Its in a shopping center right in front of my apartment so there’s that. I go three times a week with a buddy from work.
    My planet fitness has a terrible selection of free weights- if your trying to be a competitive bodybuilder. But for my purposes and the purposes of my workout partner, all we are trying to do is lose weight and get back in shape, and the equipment there is more than reasonable for that, especially when compared to the awful selection at the little “gym” at work.
  • kshama2001
    kshama2001 Posts: 27,951 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    For years I worked at the local pizza joint in my town that PF orders from for Pizza Day. First Monday of the month was always crazy as I had to get two separate $200+ orders out the door and delivered on time. I don't miss that. And I don't partake of the pizza at my PF. I spent five years eating it, so I'm good... :D

Anyways, just here to basically repeat everyone else, based on my own experience.

I have a PF membership because it's literally at the end of my street. I've been going there for a little over four months now, and after the first month (about when I got brave enough to leave the elliptical and start doing strength training) I realized I'd need to find another gym in order to do the weight lifting I'm aiming for. There's no squat racks and only fixed barbells at my PF. The gym overall was really good for me as a beginner, particularly because it was so close and I really needed something close so I would have no excuse not to go. I get my cardio done there and do my best with what weight lifting equipment there is (I follow the Strong Curves program, currently, and I basically do almost nothing with barbells because of the awful selection at my PF).

Right now I'm just trying to decide if I want to add a second gym membership now, for weight lifting purposes, or wait until my contract is up and completely switch to a new gym. I have to say, for cardio purposes, it's really convenient and easy for me. No complaints there.

So, that's my 2 cents.

In your situation I would ask a staff member for advice on how to do Strong Curves with the equipment available.

Do you think a Plant Fitness would have employees that could explain modifications to a lifting program?

From what I've heard about the place, seems like a stretch.

It's certainly something to try before obtaining a second gym membership. Nothing ventured, nothing gained.
  • merrellmichael03
    Options
    Also I forgot to mention, I get off work at midnight, and exercise after that. Most other gyms in my area are closed at that hour.
  • marissacre
    marissacre Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I've heard that they have kicked people out for openly disagreeing with their political views.

I was going to post the same thing...

They call it a 'No Judgement Zone'...as long as you agree with them...

I didn't even realize they have political views. Who goes to the gym and spouts of political views? Probably one guy being an idiot about it was asked to leave.

I believe this is in reference to a woman having her membership terminated. She did not like that a transgender woman was allowed to use the women's restroom. She complained to the management and to corporate, which was fine. But then she showed up at the gym four days in a row to tell potential new members that PF was letting men use the women's restroom and pointed out the transgender woman to many women in the gym, referring to her as a man. PF made it clear that she was free to complain or disagree, but harassing the other patrons was not allowed.
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Amym26 wrote: »
    I think OP should check it out for themselves, and decide what goals they have for fitness. Then decide if Planet Fitness will allow them to achieve these goals. Personally, I would join Planet Fitness. I don't/can't lift anything more than what they have on hand for free weights. I work out mostly for stress relief. I'm not a body builder/power lifter, etc. I don't like the "extras" (classes, basketball courts, pools, saunas). So it would work for me. Some people on this thread are taking this very seriously, like Planet Fitness is personally attacking them. Who cares what others do to stay in shape? You like cross fit - do it. You like body building - do it. You like walking - then just do it. The best work out is the one you will keep doing.

They are "attacking"...i.e. "fit shaming" people who take their fitness seriously by caricaturizing fitness enthusiasts as idiots and lunks...If a company as a whole caricaturized fat people as lazy and stupid do you think that maybe overweight people might take a bit of offense to that..and maybe not have much respect or appreciation for that particular company?

I'm a cycling enthusiast who also lifts...not a body builder or power lifter...lifting makes me a better cyclist...I would get thrown out of a PF if I did a clean and jerk...ya know, 'cuz the bicycle guy is so frightening and obviously a lunk and just trying to intimidate people...I mean it couldn't possibly be that bicycle guy is doing a clean and jerk because it's one of the best and most functional movements around, particularly where athletic performance is concerned.
  • ndj1979
    ndj1979 Posts: 29,139 Member
    Options
    Packerjohn wrote: »
    kshama2001 wrote: »
    For years I worked at the local pizza joint in my town that PF orders from for Pizza Day. First Monday of the month was always crazy as I had to get two separate $200+ orders out the door and delivered on time. I don't miss that. And I don't partake of the pizza at my PF. I spent five years eating it, so I'm good... :D

Anyways, just here to basically repeat everyone else, based on my own experience.

I have a PF membership because it's literally at the end of my street. I've been going there for a little over four months now, and after the first month (about when I got brave enough to leave the elliptical and start doing strength training) I realized I'd need to find another gym in order to do the weight lifting I'm aiming for. There's no squat racks and only fixed barbells at my PF. The gym overall was really good for me as a beginner, particularly because it was so close and I really needed something close so I would have no excuse not to go. I get my cardio done there and do my best with what weight lifting equipment there is (I follow the Strong Curves program, currently, and I basically do almost nothing with barbells because of the awful selection at my PF).

Right now I'm just trying to decide if I want to add a second gym membership now, for weight lifting purposes, or wait until my contract is up and completely switch to a new gym. I have to say, for cardio purposes, it's really convenient and easy for me. No complaints there.

So, that's my 2 cents.

In your situation I would ask a staff member for advice on how to do Strong Curves with the equipment available.

Do you think a Plant Fitness would have employees that could explain modifications to a lifting program?

From what I've heard about the place, seems like a stretch.

No they would not bc lifting = lunk
  • ndj1979
    Options
    I have a planet fitness membership. Its in a shopping center right in front of my apartment so there’s that. I go three times a week with a buddy from work.
    My planet fitness has a terrible selection of free weights- if your trying to be a competitive bodybuilder. But for my purposes and the purposes of my workout partner, all we are trying to do is lose weight and get back in shape, and the equipment there is more than reasonable for that, especially when compared to the awful selection at the little “gym” at work.

Not trying to be a bodybuilder but I need free weights and barbells
  • merrellmichael03
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

You might be better served by a different gym, then. But I can get a good workout in with the machines provided.
  • merrellmichael03
    Options
    So, maybe I should clarify a little why I appreciate planet fitness.
    There are a couple of gyms in the town I live in. I got a membership to one of them. It has a variety of equipment, a lot of free weights, and knowledgeable staff people.
    It also has the roiders.
    The roiders come in, scream at the weights, throw the weights on the floor, and leave needles in the bathroom. I’m not making any of this up. They also don’t rack any of their weights, ever. Eventually I joined planet fitness on the recognition that, for my purposes, I can just use a smith machine and dumbells <80 lbs, and do just fine.
  • youdoyou2016
    youdoyou2016 Posts: 393 Member
    Options
    I like mine, and I've never heard an alarm go off or seen pizza or bagels lying around. I have seen a bucket of small tootsie rolls, though. Whatever. It's $10 a month, super clean, and a 4 minute drive from my house. Pretty sweet.

The dumbbells go up to 60 lbs (for me, I cannot imagine -- at least at the moment -- that I'd need more than that), and there are smith machines with weight plates (haven't checked those out). Obviously, others may need other stuff.

One thing I notice about my PF (I've belonged to gyms for 25 yrs, in major east coast US cities) is this one does not tend to have people hanging out and chatting with each other. At other gyms I've belonged to, you get to know people, see each other regularly, etc. That's not been the case with both PFs I've belonged to. My PF always seems quiet yet full of people -- some are already very fit, and some in tank tops -- just doing their workouts and getting out when they're done.

Mine seems pretty laid back and some anecdotes about alarms and being tossed out seem weird to me given my experience. Not saying it doesn't happen ... I guess each place will have its own vibe.
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    Options
    I saw someone post no deadlifts?! I just got back from PF and I did deadlifts and so did a muscular man next to me. As I've done many times before.
    Yes, they have pizza night, I've never participated but once a month pizza isn't bad.
    Yes, if you throw weights, I mean really slam them staff will sound the alarm. Hardly ever happens.
    There's all types - muscle men and women, beginners, very fit to older gentlemen whom have worn jeans while exercising. As long as they're in there trying, hey, that's great. To each their own
  • cwolfman13
    Options
    I saw someone post no deadlifts?! I just got back from PF and I did deadlifts and so did a muscular man next to me. As I've done many times before.
    Yes, they have pizza night, I've never participated but once a month pizza isn't bad.
    Yes, if you throw weights, I mean really slam them staff will sound the alarm. Hardly ever happens.
    There's all types - muscle men and women, beginners, very fit to older gentlemen whom have worn jeans while exercising. As long as they're in there trying, hey, that's great. To each their own

How does one do deadlifts without bumper plates and/or a platform...the floor will get jacked.
  • MrsKila
    MrsKila Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    I really enjoy going to Planet Fitness. It is truly a no judgement zone building. You don't have to be all flashy with nice clothes and matching you just got to go there and do what you gotta do for yourself. Now I'm a person I really love the dress but when it comes to going to the gym I'll have on Mitch Match socks maybe a hole in my t-shirt I don't know. But I tell you I never feel judged when I go and that keeps me going. Good luck.
  • ndj1979
    Options
    ndj1979 wrote: »

You might be better served by a different gym, then. But I can get a good workout in with the machines provided.

That's why I don't go to pf...I'm commenting on the ridiculous assertion that only bodybuilders use free weights
  • cwolfman13
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Lol...the stereotypes just keep on coming...people in other gyms are wearing flashy clothes? Most people in any gym I've been in wear whatever...I wear shorts and a t-shirt...

Good job PF...you have been very successful getting people to believe all kinds of stereotypes..
  • ndj1979
    Options
    So, maybe I should clarify a little why I appreciate planet fitness.
    There are a couple of gyms in the town I live in. I got a membership to one of them. It has a variety of equipment, a lot of free weights, and knowledgeable staff people.
    It also has the roiders.
    The roiders come in, scream at the weights, throw the weights on the floor, and leave needles in the bathroom. I’m not making any of this up. They also don’t rack any of their weights, ever. Eventually I joined planet fitness on the recognition that, for my purposes, I can just use a smith machine and dumbells <80 lbs, and do just fine.

Calling bs on this one
  • ndj1979
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

How does one do deadlifts without bumper plates and/or a platform...the floor will get jacked.

I'm guessing smith machine
  • happysherri
    happysherri Posts: 1,360 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

Well, I do more reps less weight, this is how my program is set up. Not sure about the other guy. I don't care about how heavy I can lift something 1 time. Everyone is different. And yes lifting heavy is great and I do at times. I'm getting great results. I'm not trying to be a powerlifter, that's not me.