Vegetables out of a bag unhealthy?

Options
1234568»

Replies

• BlackandWhitePhotoOp
    Options
    I eat the frozen veggies when I can't afford all fresh. :)
  • crzycatlady1
    crzycatlady1 Posts: 1,930 Member
    Options
    cmtigger wrote: »
    MomReborn wrote: »
    Blaahhh i bet plenty of adults won't eat veggies because of the way their parents cooked them when they were young, and they assume that's what vegetables are meant to be like. Boiled to death veggies taste terrible, and so do canned veggies, if this is what they were fed growing up, I can't blame them for disliking them.

So much truth in this! I didn't even know what fresh vegetables looked like until I left home. Best first meal I had was at the homeless shelter where the pastor was slicing a carrot for the stew, and I was like "Man, how does he keep it from melting?" But, I was also an 80s kid with guardians who thought the monthly cable bill and a functioning television set made an excellent babysitter :D

While fresh is great, if you live in an area that has a limited growing season, or simply don't enjoy the taste of gassed/overseas fruits and veggies, then frozen, without any added anything is best. The term "processed" is often misused, IMO. Not all of us have the privilege (or want to) hunt down or grow our food. We live in cities, and ordinances exist. Not to mention, if you fabricate meat (remove the meat of an animal from the carcass), peel a fruit, or even wrap up your leftovers for the next day, your food has been processed. Of course, it may not be mass-produced, but processed nonetheless.

I find that a lot of folks live in this little bubble where they think (at most) only 100 people exist in the world. Farmers, large and small, exist for a reason. They have to find ways to get food to as many people as possible, in as safe and hygienic a manner. BILLIONS of people. That's a far cry from the lil' urban dweller who thinks they're doing anything with their windowsill tomato plant :D

So, of course you're going to find plenty of healthy choices, both bulk (loose) and bagged. Finally, I hate to break it to you, but many stores, including our beloved Sprouts and Whole Foods, often receive the bulk goods in bags/packing sacks within crates, which they open to remove the product for display. So, technically, the wild, bulk stuff was still bagged at some point. Hate to burst anyone's fantasies. Apologies if I did :*

This is so important. People forget or don't know that there was a real fear in the 1960's that the world population growth would outpace the world's food production. Today thanks to the industrialization of farming there is enough food produced to feed every person on Earth. The only reason famine and hunger exist is a lack of access. If somebody has the privilege to support small farms, organic, hunt, or home garden, that's fine, but that's not how the world stays fed. If we went back to the small scale farms, no GMO's, synthetic fertilizers or pesticides of the pre-WWII days food prices would skyrocket and many more Americans would face food insecurity.

I think that overall, in the 20 years I've been an adult, food prices have not risen as much as other expenses in my budget.

I've found the opposite to be true, food is our biggest expense. It's only me and hubby at home and i spend at least $200 a week on food, red meat such as a good steak is a treat rather than a staple for us these days. Even the most simplest of take away's wont be under $20 for the two of us.
    I do live in Australia, our food prices are probably double what those in the U.S pay.

Yeah, location is going to really make prices vary. I'm in Michigan/U.S. and by me you can get local beef shares that with processing it works out to around $2.50lb for any kind of cut you want. That's lean ground beef, steaks etc. I can comfortably feed a family of 5 for around $100 a week here (including some non-food items like cleaning supplies etc). I do shop mostly at Aldi though, which is an inexpensive, no-frills kind of store.
  • Christine_72
    Christine_72 Posts: 16,049 Member
    Options
    Last time i bought steak, which was just your average porterhouse, 2 cost me $15. This is straight from the butcher which is cheaper than the grocery store.
    Plain chuck steak, the meat you have to cook in a stew for hours to tenderise is $15 per kilo, this is the bottom of the barrel steak. Rib eye last time i checked were $32 per kilo (on sale) :sad: I think our chicken breast prices are on par with you, the average price $10 per kg.

1kg = 2.2lbs
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
    I have heard of the litterless movement where you take your own mason jars to fill up your food order. That's the ultimate bag less eating.

http://www.litterless.co/wheretoshop/
  • pdxwine
    pdxwine Posts: 389 Member
    Options
    pdxwine wrote: »
    AigreDoux wrote: »
    How do you buy vegetables without bags?

Well, you would buy it fresh?

Back to the OPs question, vegetables in a bag are far better than no vegetables at all.

I would stay away from baby carrots. I have heard that the way they are processed is not the best.

Frozen vegetables are also healthy. Canned, not as much due to extra sodium, but still better than none at all.

How so?

I have heard that chemicals are used in their processing. But a Snopes visit says that this is not true. Perhaps they are okay. I will still buy full sized carrots.
  • Susieq_1994
    Susieq_1994 Posts: 5,361 Member
    Options
    lizery wrote: »
    I found a slug in my frozen raspberries once. Found it with my mouth.

Ughh. (Don't know why, exactly, since I've eaten escargot, but still, ughh.)

As a kid, one time I was pulling grapes off the stems by the bagful for my mom so she could make jelly, and eventually you get to the point where you don't really need to look at the grapes or your hands to do it. Don't know what it was that made look down to see I was just about to "pluck" a snail and toss it in the jelly pot. Uggh.

I'm less bothered by slugs and snails because I remember as a child we grew fruit in our garden and they'd often have slugs etc on then. Not sure I'd want to see them in pre-packaged food though- yuk.
    I also remember,years ago,my mum finding a chicken embryo in an egg. Was a long time before I could touch eggs after that.
    This thread is starting to give me persistent nausea :s

We had chickens growing up. I cracked an embryo into the fry pan.

Didn't eat eggs for about 15 years.

Once, when I was a kid, we were over at the neighbors playing with their kids and the housekeeper was boiling eggs for them as a snack. After boiling, she cracked one open and a boiled chicken embryo (almost fully developed, too) fell out. That pretty much scarred me for life!
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    zyxst wrote: »

As a kid, one time I was pulling grapes off the stems by the bagful for my mom so she could make jelly, and eventually you get to the point where you don't really need to look at the grapes or your hands to do it. Don't know what it was that made look down to see I was just about to "pluck" a snail and toss it in the jelly pot. Uggh.

I'm less bothered by slugs and snails because I remember as a child we grew fruit in our garden and they'd often have slugs etc on then. Not sure I'd want to see them in pre-packaged food though- yuk.
    I also remember,years ago,my mum finding a chicken embryo in an egg. Was a long time before I could touch eggs after that.

Whoa. Someone must have missed an egg for a while for that to have happened. It takes two days of incubation before an embryo even starts to form and it's just blood vessels for another week or so.

Worse egg I found had a half-formed chick in it (enough to recognize it's a chicken and be grossed out). The eggs were from a local farm and, iirc, candled. It's why I will only buy eggs from the supermarket.
    That really shouldn't happen. I have a state egg handlers permit and if I find a stash of eggs of an unknown age hidden in my yard they get thrown out. I'm expected to keep to the same standards as a corporate farm for safety except salmonella testing- lower risk and easier to trace.

I wouldn't label all farms bad because of one.

If the farm follows state regs, then no. This was all under the table stuff. Local cafe buys local eggs to cut costs.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options

Whoa. Someone must have missed an egg for a while for that to have happened. It takes two days of incubation before an embryo even starts to form and it's just blood vessels for another week or so.

Worse egg I found had a half-formed chick in it (enough to recognize it's a chicken and be grossed out). The eggs were from a local farm and, iirc, candled. It's why I will only buy eggs from the supermarket.
    That really shouldn't happen. I have a state egg handlers permit and if I find a stash of eggs of an unknown age hidden in my yard they get thrown out. I'm expected to keep to the same standards as a corporate farm for safety except salmonella testing- lower risk and easier to trace.

If the farm follows state regs, then no. This was all under the table stuff. Local cafe buys local eggs to cut costs.
    I'd wonder where else the local cafe is cutting corners.

The permit costs $50 a year in my state.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    jgnatca wrote: »
    I have heard of the litterless movement where you take your own mason jars to fill up your food order. That's the ultimate bag less eating.

http://www.litterless.co/wheretoshop/

I bring my own bag so usually buy veg without bags, but it doesn't make them healthier, of course. ;-)

I do this since I don't like getting bags just to trash them and also current store policies about bags and what you have to pay for them since we started taxing them is super inconsistent and annoying.

When I pick up my farm share in season it comes in a box, though. Oh, well. ;-)
  • Theo166
    Theo166 Posts: 2,564 Member
    Options
    sardelsa wrote: »
    Frozen veggies are the best. Honestly, they are a timesaver, convenient.. why wouldn't they be healthy?

DITTO, if it wasn't for frozen, I would eat way less veggies. I waste less and freezing keeps all the nutrients.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options

I'd wonder where else the local cafe is cutting corners.

The permit costs $50 a year in my state.

Just with the eggs. IIRC the cost was $5 for 6 dozen eggs every week or so.