Organic? Genetically modified food?

Options
12346»

Replies

• TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    I try to eat less GMOs and more organic or just non-GMO.
  • bbell1985
    bbell1985 Posts: 4,572 Member
    Options
    I don't give a rats *kitten*. I like organic eggs tho. They do taste nice.
  • midlomel1971
    midlomel1971 Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    Almost all the fruit and vegetables we eat have been genetically modified over the years. There is nothing wrong or unsafe w/ GMO food, so no, I don't avoid it. I also do not eat organic. I would if I could afford to, but I can't.
  • Heather4448
    Heather4448 Posts: 908 Member
    Options
    GMO's feed the world.
  • jgnatca
    jgnatca Posts: 14,464 Member
    Options
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    GMO is all very well. One of the substances plants use as protections from moulds and mildews is salicylate. My problem comes because my body is unable to eliminate salicylate which is normally in foods fruits, veg, mushrooms that's a quirky one, so I need to avoid many normally eaten foods to feel partly well. The number of us with this problem is increasing.

As for any meat. I chose not to eat it. If I were to, I would need to know it was not treated with antibiotics. I was once very ill and the only reason I can think of is, the meat I had eaten when I was out had been treated with antibiotics too close to being dispatched so it had not worked its way through the animals system before it activated my known antibiotic reactions. Using Organic products greatly reduces the risks of contamination. The best way to be safe is for me to avoid.

Animals in general agriculture have no say in if they have antibiotics or not, many farming practices use antibiotics as a means to avoid problems in the herd rather than go for higher care standards.

Each to their own.
  • cmtigger
    cmtigger Posts: 1,450 Member
    Options
    Fuzzipeg wrote: »
    GMO is all very well. One of the substances plants use as protections from moulds and mildews is salicylate. My problem comes because my body is unable to eliminate salicylate which is normally in foods fruits, veg, mushrooms that's a quirky one, so I need to avoid many normally eaten foods to feel partly well. The number of us with this problem is increasing.

As for any meat. I chose not to eat it. If I were to, I would need to know it was not treated with antibiotics. I was once very ill and the only reason I can think of is, the meat I had eaten when I was out had been treated with antibiotics too close to being dispatched so it had not worked its way through the animals system before it activated my known antibiotic reactions. Using Organic products greatly reduces the risks of contamination. The best way to be safe is for me to avoid.

Animals in general agriculture have no say in if they have antibiotics or not, many farming practices use antibiotics as a means to avoid problems in the herd rather than go for higher care standards.

Each to their own.

Or whoever was handling the meat didn't do it well and it became contaminated with bacteria that made you ill.

If a farm/processor was caught with antibiotics in the meat they would be subject to fines or even closure of their operations.
  • CSARdiver
    CSARdiver Posts: 6,252 Member
    Options
    There is no evidence to support that organic, clean, non-GMO, insert trendy term here...is any better or worse for you. If you find a product and it tastes better...eat that one.
  • JohnnyPenso
    JohnnyPenso Posts: 412 Member
    Options
    I avoid most processed, packaged, prepared meal type foods as a rule which means I avoid all the artificial colours, flavours, additives, preservatives and unpronouncable chemical compounds contained in many packaged meals or dishes. I prefer my own cooking to slop made on an assembly line anyway. I don't eat soy at all and corn only the sweet varieties in the summer when it's in season. They are two of the most GMO'd crops AFAIK. I sourced out a couple of organic/free range meat sources and buy all my beef, eggs, duck, liver etc. from there. The price is easily comparable to the local grocery store for non-organic meat/dairy but of course you have to drive the 10 minutes into the country to the farm to get it. I find some things do taste better, like the eggs always taste smoother and creamier, but being freshly laid might have a lot to do with it. I grow some of my own food as well, completely organic. Greens, tomatoes, peppers, beans, all kinds of herbs etc. I like to buy local when in season because it's cheaper and plentiful. I prefer the organic stuff but I'll still buy non-organic although I'm sure many of the things are GMO to some degree.
  • Fuzzipeg
    Fuzzipeg Posts: 2,300 Member
    Options
    Sorry to those who think differently. The symptoms I experienced then exactly mirrored the ones I experienced earlier. Others in the party who ate the same meal did not have my problems. thank you.
  • Sp1tfire
    Sp1tfire Posts: 1,120 Member
    Options
    I will agree that the meats taste better, but I only buy organic if its the same price/size. Or if its a product thats only available in non GMO organic. Otherwise it doesn't bother me.