How would you boost yourself?

Options
praksindiafit
praksindiafit Posts: 526 Member
If everytime you come up and start diet and fitness plan..but it just fades away.. how do you boost yourself to be up again and going..and this time for real and to stay with it ?

Replies

• DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Step stool!
  • praksindiafit
    Options
    Could you ellaborate
  • DeficitDuchess
    DeficitDuchess Posts: 3,099 Member
    Options
    Could you ellaborate

I am only 5' 3", how am I suppose to eat healthy if; I am unable to reach it?
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    cocaine
  • Gimsteinn
    Gimsteinn Posts: 7,678 Member
    Options
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    cocaine

This explains everything
  • cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    If everytime you come up and start diet and fitness plan..but it just fades away.. how do you boost yourself to be up again and going..and this time for real and to stay with it ?

In my experience people usually try to make whole sale changes to everything overnight which fails to address process. People tend to go to extremes with their diet and fitness as if they can just flip on a switch. They try to do too much too soon rather than making smaller changes...chipping away at bad habits and replacing them with good ones and letting the process unfold. They basically crash and burn withing a matter of weeks because they're simply doing too much too soon.

People also tend to have an all or nothing mentality...one little hiccup or bump in the road and they get all guilty or whatever and just quit...they fail to see the bigger picture in regards to what they're doing...they fail to see that hiccup is just that...a hiccup...something that is largely irrelevant to the whole of what's going on. Coming in with an all or nothing mentality will pretty much ensure failure. It's an unreasonable and unrealistic expectation that you're going to be 100% "on" 100% of the time.

People tend to have a very myopic view on nutrition and their diets (noun) become incredibly boring and bland and nobody is going to stick to that very long...good nutrition can also be delicious. People also tend towards incessant amounts of exercise without even taking into consideration their current fitness level...not to mention, they do things because they think they have to do that thing because some fitness magazine told them that's the exercise they should be doing rather than doing some form of exercise they actually enjoy and will stick with.

I don't do any of those things so I've been going strong for about 4.5 years...
  • MrStabbems
    MrStabbems Posts: 3,110 Member
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    MrStabbems wrote: »
    cocaine

This explains everything

WkvQd.gif
  • praksindiafit
    Options
    Gimsteinn wrote: »
    Oh we all fall down. We all fail our plan and fall off the perfect diet train..
    The only difference between successful people and the others is that the successful people realize that they aren't gonna have perfect diet nor are they gonna make it to all the gym sessions they plan or hit all their fitness goals..

But they keep going anyway cause they know that failure is a part of the journey.. It all depends on what you do after you fail.
    So when you've dug your grave, do you hide in it and feel defeated or do you crawl out of it and pick up where you left off?

Thanks... tat is inspiring
  • praksindiafit
    Options
    LL5lifts wrote: »
    I try to set physical goals for myself....that improve/increase/etc. every week...that way I have something to work for every week, instead of a more long term goal.

Right..
  • praksindiafit
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »

In my experience people usually try to make whole sale changes to everything overnight which fails to address process. People tend to go to extremes with their diet and fitness as if they can just flip on a switch. They try to do too much too soon rather than making smaller changes...chipping away at bad habits and replacing them with good ones and letting the process unfold. They basically crash and burn withing a matter of weeks because they're simply doing too much too soon.

People also tend to have an all or nothing mentality...one little hiccup or bump in the road and they get all guilty or whatever and just quit...they fail to see the bigger picture in regards to what they're doing...they fail to see that hiccup is just that...a hiccup...something that is largely irrelevant to the whole of what's going on. Coming in with an all or nothing mentality will pretty much ensure failure. It's an unreasonable and unrealistic expectation that you're going to be 100% "on" 100% of the time.

People tend to have a very myopic view on nutrition and their diets (noun) become incredibly boring and bland and nobody is going to stick to that very long...good nutrition can also be delicious. People also tend towards incessant amounts of exercise without even taking into consideration their current fitness level...not to mention, they do things because they think they have to do that thing because some fitness magazine told them that's the exercise they should be doing rather than doing some form of exercise they actually enjoy and will stick with.

I don't do any of those things so I've been going strong for about 4.5 years...

hiccup is just that...a hiccup...something that is largely irrelevant to the whole of what's going on. That caught my attention...yeh..look at the larger goal..n let the small hiccups not trouble us.
    43501 Posts: 85 Member
    Options

That's a good question. I started trying to eat better and go to the gym to lose weight way back in 2010, and from there up until about June 2014 it was extremely stop and start. I would be very good for several weeks (or even a few months) back to back and then I'd get lazy and stop. There were quite a few times I paid up front for a 6 month membership and maybe only went for 1 month out of the 6.

I couldn't do it consistently and I fell off the wagon a lot.

But since about June 2014, I've managed to go to the gym almost every day, although I had to really push myself for the first 6~ months. But now it's second nature to me and I don't even need to think about it, I go every day out of habit and it's part of my routine.

If I had to think about the reasons it stuck that time...

1) I was planning to meet somebody from the internet in real life, and I was desperate to be as fit/good looking for him as I could possibly be (it worked).

and

2) Exercise became an opportunity to have time to myself and relax/be alone with my thoughts. I can zone out and parse things over in my head and listen to music while I do LISS cardio or weights. HIIT is too stressful though, lol.
  • subcounter
    subcounter Posts: 2,382 Member
    Options
    I watch Shia LaBeouf on repeat:

5c671bc0-708d-0133-902f-0e17bac22e39.gif?w=740&h=416&fit=max&auto=format
  • Lounmoun
    Lounmoun Posts: 8,426 Member
    Options
    Set goals that are realistic. Don't plan to lose 10-20 lbs in a couple of weeks. Be patient. It is going to take time to lose weight.
    Don't diet to a deadline or to fit into a specific dress. Work on making sustainable changes for life. Think ahead to maintenance.
    Moderation. Don't overly restrict your calories. Don't overly restrict your types of food. Don't try to go from 500 steps a day to 10,000 in one month.
    Planning and tracking food. I've found prelogging my whole day in the morning very helpful to making better food choices and eat what I like. Some people do food prep for a few days or the week.
    Know yourself and your world. If you love sweets and pizza and going to restaurants with friends then don't start the only radish diet and get mad at everyone for sabotaging you by wanting different food. Figure out how you can have what you like within your calorie goal instead. That may mean things like increasing your activity, eating a smaller breakfast, saving calories for the weekend.
    You will sometimes eat at maintenance or over. Just get back to a calorie deficit and move on. Don't get dramatic or emotional about it.
    Everyone has challenges. We are all students, parents, people with jobs, people with spouses, etc. Challenges just mean you have to find your own way of sticking to a calorie deficit not that it is impossible to do so.
    If you have issues like emotional eating or a medical condition that make it challenging to stick to a diet then deal with it. Get treatment. Work on developing coping tools. Talk to others with your particular problem for ideas.
    Don't announce to everyone that you are dieting unless you are fine talking about it or getting unsolicited advice.
  • praksindiafit
    Options
    Music is the biggest motivator
  • ReenieHJ
    ReenieHJ Posts: 9,724 Member
    Options
    Focus on the biggest threat to your motivation and dedication. Are you tempted by junk food? Do you start off all gung-ho but fade fast? Are you hoping for a quick weight-loss diet? Do you hate exercise? Do you automatically feel defeated so give up too easily?
    Have you logged in your information on MFP yet because that is a great start. It keeps numbers within your focus and gives you something to aim for, shows you where you need to make improvement.
    I spent years and years being the proverbial dieting yo-yo and I guess I really still am, only because my weight fluctuates but within 1-3 lbs, instead of 40-80 lbs. If it goes up, I cut back, if it goes down I tend to have extra treats. I'm learning to fit it all into my lifestyle.

I've been as much as 100 lbs. overweight and while it can be extremely overwhelming to look at the big(no pun intended) picture, if you break it down into more manageable amounts, 5-10 lbs. at a time, then it feels much more doable.
    Everybody's needs and wants are different, everybody's style is different, but in order to break the habits we've made to get this far, we need to create new habits that will bring us to where we want to be. If you live the new habits every day then soon, you become that person and leave the old person behind.
    Wishing you the best of luck in your journey!! Only YOU can map out the best healthiest way to get there for yourself!!
  • Tinydancer106
    Tinydancer106 Posts: 3,678 Member
    Options
    Some great insight in this thread🤗🙌

For me it just has to become a habit...it has to become as normal to me as getting out of bed and making that first cup of coffee ... Something I incorporate everyday.

Again for me I made small changes and stuck with them and I'm pretty much trying to add more small changes as the become important.

An example is IF....i wasn' sure it was for me but I said do it for a week....if I hate it ... If it's stressful stop....and it's been awhile now .. Still newish in the grand scheme of things but I no longer even want flavored creamer in my coffee ....or to eat after 8pm....its just a good fit and its my new normal.

Some things will work....many things won't....i could try keto but I know I wont be able to keep it up so I know now after years of trial and error big restriction don't work well for me. Small changes that can become my new normal will.....usually!🤞

I try to think of my body as a gift or a possession I need to keep going....its the only one im getting so I have to be kinder and do what's best for it or I'll be in a world of hurt down the road🤷

Those are some things that work for me.

Life is never cut and dry right? We all have our stressors and interruptions that will cause us to stumble ....so when and if that happens just get up and dust yourself off and try again....little gains are huge in being healthy and its not a race as much as we'd love it to be sometimes...lol. Just be kind to yourself .....again that's what works for me.

Best of luck.....you (all) got this....ya really do!🙌💗