What triggered your weight gain?

Options

Replies

• BarbellBlondieRuns
    BarbellBlondieRuns Posts: 511 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy & post partum depression. I had gestational diabetes & terrible sciatica when I was pregnant. Funny, because I sure look like I'm built to be pregnant. LOL. And then for some crazy reason I waited till my baby was 4 before I decided that I wanted to be ME again.
  • RN514
    RN514 Posts: 1,107 Member
    Options
    I take full responsibility for my weight gain. Yes, I was super stressed out during nursing school, but I could have avoided gaining that 50lbs if I I had more self control.
  • melaniehubbard
    melaniehubbard Posts: 121 Member
    Options
    overeating causing weight gain,causing depression which caused more overeating.
  • Maxbert_SA
    Maxbert_SA Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I was fit, healthy and umm, very fit. I was in the Royal,Australian Air Force for 13 years and also played a high level of football.

I discharged from the RAAF and gave up footy and within 6 months of "enjoying life and relaxing", I put on 30 kilos (66 poinds). 12 years later, I am still struggling to get the weight off and my fitness back.
  • caramelgyrlk
    caramelgyrlk Posts: 1,112 Member
    Options
    Ignorance about the logistics of an appropriate diet and exercise
  • Th3stral
    Th3stral Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    An entire pregnancy in hospital or on bed rest followed by scoffing each time I fed the baby to get through the feed.
  • jenilla1
    jenilla1 Posts: 11,118 Member
    Options
    I never had a problem with overeating or anything like that. I've always been a healthy weight and had always had pretty much the same lifestyle and ate the same healthy things, the difference was that before MFP I never bothered to track the amounts I was eating.

As I've gotten older I guess my metabolism started slowing, because I noticed that over the past decade I'd slowly crept up a pound or so each year over time. I never got out of the healthy range of BMI, but I was trending toward the top of it.

I like to be proactive, so here I am. I took a few months to shave off the extra weight and I've been here on maintainance ever since. :flowerforyou:
  • xAndreaWx
    xAndreaWx Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    For me it was when i moved into my own place from home.. could make my own food choices (mum was super healthy and strict!) and discovered the joys of wine most nights! thankfully i've managed to overcome this after stepping on the scales and realising i'd gained over a stone since i moved out. was a hard slog but so so worth it.. almost there!
  • sdpeklo
    sdpeklo Posts: 82
    Options
    Not really knowing what a portion or a serving is. Not having a food scale. Not measuring. Thinking I was eating about 1500-2000 calories a day and it was probably closer to 3000 maybe more. Running ridiculous amounts of miles than "rewarding myself" . Duh me I now know it doesn't work like that (after 2 years of thinking it did). Educating myself worked miracles. : )
  • JessicaRobin67
    JessicaRobin67 Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Got married.
  • gobonas99
    gobonas99 Posts: 1,049 Member
    Options
    I was never a "skinny minny" or anything. Was 149 pounds when I turned 18 my senior year of high school.

First time I gained: emotional eating due to an abusive relationship (and subsequent marriage) starting junior year of college. By the time I left my ex-husband, was up to 185.

Started working out and eating better, and got down to 154. Maintained that (within 5 pounds) until 2010, when I started gaining weight (despite working out and eating right). Come to find out, I had developed hypothyroidism.

By the time it was all said and done at the end of 2012, when my endo finally got my thyroid meds at the correct level, I had gained almost 50 pounds. I tipped the scales at 202.5. (Thanks to my continued workout efforts during the past 3 years, though, I was wearing the same size as I was when I started at 185). Now, even on meds, I have to workout twice has hard and twice as long, and be hyper vigilant about logging my food to lose less than half as much weight (pre-hypo, doing what I'm doing now would have resulted in a 2 pound a week loss....now, I'm lucky to lose .5 a week). :grumble:
  • hookilau
    hookilau Posts: 3,134 Member
    Options
    Insulin resistance :P
  • phyllisgehrke
    phyllisgehrke Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I was always skinny.
    I am 5'6" tall and when I got married, I was 95 pounds.

Put on the weight when I went through the change of life, put on 20 pounds fast
    Now I have lost 19 pounds, one more pound to go.

What a relief to get some of this fat off
  • lovinthejourney
    Options
    I understand were your coming from! I was 14 and I started to diet and excersize obsessively but then I crashed and I ate EVERYTHING! but then I started binge eating and that was awwwfful. hope your better now!:smile:
  • onwarddownward
    onwarddownward Posts: 1,683 Member
    Options
    I got really lazy. I didn't care, I used pregnancy (eating for two!) as an excuse and then felt that things were just too much to deal with.

I lost a lot of weight with diet pills and after regaining it, I felt hopeless, like I didn't have what it took. But I do have it and I am making great strides in becoming a healthier and happier me.
  • trogalicious
    trogalicious Posts: 4,584 Member
    Options
    excuses.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Laziness. I stopped exercising regularly but continued to eat as if I were.
  • alpine1994
    alpine1994 Posts: 1,915 Member
    Options
    I just ate too much because I enjoyed feeling full and didn't think it was a big deal. I was overweight my entire life until about 6 months ago. Being at a healthy weight has changed my life in many ways and I'm never going back.
  • keelerangela
    keelerangela Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Nursing school.

Stressed out all the time, easier to eat out of the vending machines and order out.. that is how I put back on the 40 lbs that i lost.
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Initially, going from an active job to a desk job. Then I met my husband and started eating more. Prior to that, I was too skinny, and didn't eat normal meals. So for the most part, I wasn't so much overweight as weighing more than I'd like to, since I was used to be skinny. Then I got a jaw problem and COULDN'T eat, and lost too much weight again, and when that was resolved and I could eat, I made up for lost time. :happy:

But the main thing was depression from losing both my parents and my job within about a year's time. I just didn't care, and Butterfingers were how I self-medicated.

Overall, though, eating a little too much and being a little too inactive. Incorporating regular exercise was the main thing I needed.