What triggered your weight gain?

Options

Replies

• ames105
    ames105 Posts: 288 Member
    Options
    Depression and Loneliness. I started with depression as a teen, only nobody really recognized it as depression back then. Food made me feel better, gave me something to do, something to look forward too.

As an adult, I used food to fill in the places where friends, a husband and children should be. It was the only thing I had that made me feel less lonely.

I'm still lonely, but have realized the weight is keeping people away (especially men!). I now try to fill up my extra hours with time at the gym instead of food.
  • MzzFaith
    MzzFaith Posts: 337 Member
    Options
    lazy, eating, sleepy and laying down, along with the medication.
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I blame Haagen Dazs.

51+vcGe+E3L.01._SR300,300_.jpg
  • savithny
    savithny Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    I got more sedentary and kept eating like I was still really active.

And then I noticed the weight gain starting and tried to get way more active too fast, hurt myself, and was even more sedentary.
  • dolfn1972
    dolfn1972 Posts: 84 Member
    Options
    I would have to blame it on the fact that I have this rare condition called to much food to mouth disease.

agreed
  • Tinytaru
    Tinytaru Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    As a kid and early teenage years I was always a bit chubby, started to go to gym at 17 and got my way down to 123 lb, at the age of 22 (or maybe 23, I dont remember exactly) I suddenly gained 44ish pounds without changing anything. My mom then suggested I should go see a doctor and yep, thyroid! Then I gave myself up, stuffed my face with everything that got near me, no more gym and I was just hiding in my room, only leaving to go work. When I reached 233lbs I was so shocked and thought I have to change something. I still struggle with emotional/frustration eating tho (or I would be at my goal weight already).
  • Iron_Lotus
    Iron_Lotus Posts: 2,295 Member
    Options
    Many pregnancies back to back and continuing to eat like I was still pregnant :P
  • calibriintx
    calibriintx Posts: 1,741 Member
    Options
    I blame Haagen Dazs.

51+vcGe+E3L.01._SR300,300_.jpg

Oh, and World of Warcraft.

Untitled_large.jpg
  • Mother_Superior
    Mother_Superior Posts: 1,624 Member
    Options
    Lots of food, and very little movement, brought on by gluttony, and laziness.
  • BikerGirlElaine
    BikerGirlElaine Posts: 1,631 Member
    Options
    First I drank too much booze. Then I stopped that and ate too much food. Pretty simple, really.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    not understanding what wss optimal for my body.

I was fit as a kid--basically the usual biking running. In my pre-teens I was driven to immerse myself in classical ballet and jazz. I danced 5+ days weekly. The kcal burn forgave my oreo binges and process food diet (including milk) that was my family's everyday cooking. From scratch was for holidays only.

In my teens I made up my own diet (no starch--well the pasta but not the cookies :embarassed: ) to go from athletic build to thin (as classical dancers were lithe & leggy and my build is longer trunk than legs). Although I achieved a tight curvy thin profile body I was never going to be lithe or leggy.

I went to college not to study dance, but I continued dancing 2x weekly. I lived 1.5 mi from campus and walked it for 2y. Then I moved into a house w friends and we decided that 4 days/wk we would could make meals a la Vegetarian Epicure (old veg cookbook--predates Moosewood). I lived 0.5 mi from campus, but my mode of transportaion everywhere was still on foot.

I never gained the "freshman 15" and I left college fit (a little fleshier than in my dancing days) at 112-115 without trying.

Then I began working & commuting nearly everywhere in my first car (a used Vega w rebuild engine). Consequently my physical activity fell and my weight began creeping up 118, 120.... I gardened and hiked on the weekend. I was still a convert to whole food eating, but I was eating much more meat and drinking wine on most weekends. It was the 1980s and the foodie thing was in overdrive.

When my weight hit 125 I felt fat and my figure was no longer tight. This is when I began chasing current health literature. The current holy grail was lots and lots of complex carbohydrates. I was already eating whole grains, so I began eating more of them. I made room in my forever diet by eliminating fruits. Although this reduced my simple carbs it also dropped fiber ( my approach was homemade whole grain bagels & pita--and not the variety of whole grains available today, such as quinoa) and important phytonutrients that were unknown at the time.

I exited the 1980s fiighting to stay below 135. Which is about the time my meat & butter foodie boyfriend and I got married. He brought meat to our table and I brought more vegetables; we were happy. We also bought ourselves 2 wedding gifts: danish bounce/rocker chairs and bikes. I got to see up front how he could get in shape in 2 wks whenever he decided he needed to, which also allowed him to splurge more often. I never could "just drop a few pounds or inches", so by the time I was pregnant with our first I was ~145 I was still part of corporate america at the time. I gained 30+ with this pregnancy, just like the doctor wanted.

155lbs seems to be my visilbly pudgey point in clothes. This is where I was at the time of 2nd pregnancy. I was working from home parttime and very active my community. I gained less than 20 lbs. For some reason having a boy, I shed my weight and then some and was back in the 140 range. But the weight crept back and I was 150-something at the time of 3rd pregnancy. I struggled to gain more than 15 lbs and after birth I lost only a handful of pounds.

About this time all these strange things began happening: hair loss, lack of sleep leading to mental dullness, mono, neck swellings, lower trunk elephant like swelling. An every year a few pounds more.

I redesign m diet, ditching most grain carbs, restricting all sugar carbs, getting more sleep, drinking more water, taking a multiple, and reducing fats (Yes it was the early 2000s and that was now THE THING TO DO,) My weight pattern changed. It stabilized, but whenever I would a few pounds I would have an RA episode and then that same weight would be back.

The next 10 years were ultimately unsuccessful attempts to make my weight move down and down again. I tried a variety of hard cardio and some circuit training I tone easily, but I was gaining weight and very little of it was muscle AND I WAS NOT eating more. I looked at my fatter face and told myself something is being triggered by hard vigourous exercise.

I stopped exercising and lost a few pounds and inches around my middrift--but I was still way to thick around the middle. We got a family dog and I began walking Copper. Although my weight did not budge I lost inches from waist to thigh, as my shorts no longer crawled up between my legs and they fit a tad looser. i learned that exercise that makes me warm works, but if it makes me pant it does not.

I was 6 months into a doctor supervised super low calories diet, when we had a house fire. A year later I got back on a scale and I somehow lost ~10lbs. There were days I just forgot to eat, until I realized it was time make a dinner for everyone.

When I joined MFP in January, those 10lbs were back, but I was energized by new information I had been reading around dietrary factors and autoimmune diseases. I was primed to tweek my forever diet again, as well as create an exercise routine, and see if it resulted in weightloss. The going is still slow, but at least it is steady.
  • wifeymou1112
    wifeymou1112 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    Dominos pizza : buy one get one free!

Not knowing what a calorie was

Never exercising

Being in complete DENIAL about all of the above
  • ktliu
    ktliu Posts: 334 Member
    Options
    Quit smoking and a promotion in my career.
  • CooperSprings
    CooperSprings Posts: 754 Member
    Options
    Depression since I was 8.
    Quit martial arts at 12.
    Quit softball at 14.
    Hid from the world for years.
    Lost a ton of weight at age 20 by working out after my 10 hour McDonald's shifts, hah.
    Gained it all back and then some after two years in a relationship.
    Our lifestyle is very sedentary and BORING.
    Trying to fix that, now!!
  • jodie_t
    jodie_t Posts: 287 Member
    Options
    No probs at all til I got very very sick. Last thing on my mind during years of recovery was getting on the scales! Towards the end of the recovery period I hit the menopause too, suddenly noticed my clothes were getting tighter, got on scales for 1st time in about 6 years and I'd put on 20lbs. Now i can't seem to shift it w/out making myself miserable!
  • Zenjaeie
    Zenjaeie Posts: 95
    Options
    My highest weight was 110, which was a little pudgy on me (I'm 4"11) especially because I had about 0% muscle mass, haha! I was a lazy kid who didn't like sports and loved to overeat unhealthy foods. I liked indulging. I was essentially a more rounded-out version of skinny fat... I looked average in clothes and flabby underneath. Now, I'm striving for slim and toned instead... much better I think!
  • gregbennett1973
    gregbennett1973 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Unfortunately I took a fair bit of drugs as a teenager, which left me paranoid. So I had to take a medicine (Sulpiride) that I still take today. It seemed to do two things (as well as successfully knock the paranoia on the head): firstly it made me more tired (and so I largely stopped exercise) and secondly it gave me an increased appetite. A recipe for disaster.

Twenty years later, realising I'm very unlikely to be able to come off Sulpiride, I joined MyFitnessPal. I pretty much feel hungry all the time, even though I'm eating a reasonable amount. The feelings of hunger are a side effect of Sulpiride unfortunately. But I seem to be getting used to feeling hungry and actually, rather perversely, seem to quite enjoy it!

I've lost 41 pounds so far, so hopefully this will encourage anyone on meds that have caused them to put on weight. It seems to be possible to lose the weight. So far, by God's grace, and with MyFitnessPal, so good.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    A lot of food seems to have gone down my throat over the years.
  • clockworkgeisha
    clockworkgeisha Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    - Chronic laziness
    - an aptitude for divorcing myself from reality
    - a lifetime on the See Food Diet.
  • TheBitSlinger
    TheBitSlinger Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    - Chronic laziness
    - an aptitude for divorcing myself from reality
    - a lifetime on the See Food Diet.