What kind of honey do you like?

Options
I was at Trader Joe's and they had 3 shelves of honey... I couldn't make a decision.

I used to get a local wildflower raw honey from the farmers market but it was more for allergy prevention. I wasn't crazy about the flavor.

What kind of honey do you like?

Trader-Joes-Honey-display-540x423.jpg

Replies

• AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    The kind I get from my own bees. The summer harvest leans toward clover/dandelion since that's primarily what's available when it starts to warm up. The fall harvest is typically darker because they're mostly feeding on goldenrod.
  • Spliner1969
    Spliner1969 Posts: 3,233 Member
    Options
    All of it. Yes, I'm an addict. ;P
  • CafeRacer808
    CafeRacer808 Posts: 2,396 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    Fellow TJ's shopper here. I buy both the squeezable Multi-Floral and Clover Honey (pictured in the top right corner of your photo) and the Organic Raw Honey.

I use the squeezable for things like Greek yogurt, toast and marinades because it's easier to work with, and the Organic Raw for tea. The Organic Raw has a deeper, richer flavor profile than the Multi-Floral, IMO.

ETA: I haven't tried the other varieties in your photo, but I've always been curious about the Creamed Honey.
  • lightenup2016
    lightenup2016 Posts: 1,055 Member
    Options
    I've tried some different ones made from various flowers. After trying several, I realize I really just like good ole' clover honey. Anything else is too flowery, or just doesn't taste like honey to me. I sometimes make a point to buy local honey, but mostly I just get Trader Joe's clover honey.
  • AngryViking1970
    AngryViking1970 Posts: 2,847 Member
    Options
    Drive by my house y'all. We have a honey shack up by the road selling 1lb. jars of raw honey for $5. Best deal in CNY!
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    edited February 2017
    Options
    I get mine from a local beekeeper. My favorite is chokecherry because it has a slight tartness to it. His pumpkin honey is good too. He has an agreement with a lot of the farmers. He puts his hives in their fields and the bees pollinate the crops and he gets the honey. By positioning the hives in places like the middle of a pumpkin patch he can get that pollen to dominate the flavor. If he can't control where the bees have been, it becomes wildflower honey.

TBH, I rarely eat honey but I cook and bake with it.
  • lulalacroix
    lulalacroix Posts: 1,082 Member
    Options
    All of them. Never had a honey I didn't like.
  • jennybearlv
    jennybearlv Posts: 1,519 Member
    Options
    They all taste the same to me, so I just buy the cheapest. The creamy honey is a good texture for spreading on toast.
  • zdyb23456
    zdyb23456 Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I get the big jug from Sams club.
    Then I heard it may not be pure honey, but a blend. I double checked my jug and I'm happy that it says pure honey and the only ingredient is honey.
  • earlnabby
    earlnabby Posts: 8,171 Member
    Options
    zdyb23456 wrote: »
    I get the big jug from Sams club.
    Then I heard it may not be pure honey, but a blend. I double checked my jug and I'm happy that it says pure honey and the only ingredient is honey.

The blending part is probably that it is different types of honey from different beekeepers all mixed together rather than a specific pollen used to produce it.
  • ccsernica
    ccsernica Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    I was given a sampler of 6 different honeys for Christmas and I have yet to try all of them. Mimosa was interesting though.
  • RuNaRoUnDaFiEld
    RuNaRoUnDaFiEld Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I love honey. Accacia (sp?) is my favourite though.
  • walijan
    walijan Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the brand. I got it at a TJ Maxx or Ross but it was so good! It had a hint of lime, don't know if it was the pollen or just added flavoring. I'll have to make a point of looking for it the next time I'm there but doubt I'll find it. It was probably a closeout.
  • zyxst
    zyxst Posts: 9,134 Member
    Options
    The one in the bear. It's labeled pure white honey. I never tried the organic or spreadable honey.
  • oceandaisies
    oceandaisies Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I buy local honey. My favorite is from a place in the Kootenay region in British Columbia, their Dandelion Honey is my favourite. It's super yellow coloured and delicious flavor. My second favourite is their wildflower honey. The next is an alfalfa/clover honey from the Nicola Valley, also in BC. I buy a giant 13 kg bucket of the dandelion every fall for the year when I am driving through the area.

This year I am hoping to get my own bees up and running
  • croftie4
    croftie4 Posts: 221 Member
    Options
    I buy pure mountain honey 25kg a time shipped in from Spain.

• cwolfman13
    cwolfman13 Posts: 41,874 Member
    Options
    Not too into honey. I think the honey in our cupboard has been there for a few years...which reminds me that I should probably just throw it out.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    cwolfman13 wrote: »
    Not too into honey. I think the honey in our cupboard has been there for a few years...which reminds me that I should probably just throw it out.

Why, it's not bad!

I wish I had a local apiary, but unfortunately I don't. I usually just go with clover cause it's what's available.
  • Sumiblue
    Sumiblue Posts: 1,597 Member
    Options
    I used to get Buckwheat honey from a local apiary. It is the best honey I've ever had. Tastes very different from clover/wildflower honey. Basswood honey is also kickazz, if you can find it.